none
Restart Numbering

Question

• I have a document with several lists, where I want to restart numbering with 1 for each list.

I get it all set up just right, using the drop-down box "restart with 1", and save it, but when I reopen the document, the numbering has reverted to "continuous". I have made sure that all lists are using the same style, but that doesn't seem to help.

I had this problem with Word 2002, and still have it with Word 2007. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Can anyone offer

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 3:12 PM

Answers

• Using the Restart command on the right-click (context) menu should be rather stable in recent versions of Word. But the safest approach, in all versions of Word, is to make use of an outline list, letting higher levels restart lower ones. See  http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html.

Stefan Blom
    Microsoft Word MVP

"Billy Graham" wrote in message news:2a1867c8-54b1-4667-8ee0-764847eda6b2@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I have a document with several lists, where I want to restart numbering with 1 for each list.

I get it all set up just right, using the drop-down box "restart with 1", and save it, but when I reopen the document, the numbering has reverted to "continuous". I have made sure that all lists are using the same style, but that doesn't seem to help.

I had this problem with Word 2002, and still have it with Word 2007. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Can anyone offer

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, October 07, 2010 1:43 AM
    Tuesday, October 05, 2010 5:44 PM