none
Cannot move the items. You don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation.

Question

• Recently, I upgraded outlook from 2007 to 2010, but I got a problem that I cannot move any mails to personal folder and the error msg is "Cannot move the items. You don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation.".Even I create a new personal folder in 2010 and try to move mails to it, I still get that error message. 

Can anyone help me out please?

Thanks so much in advance.

• Edited by salmon Thursday, October 04, 2012 1:40 PM
    Thursday, October 04, 2012 1:38 PM

Answers

• Please locate the pst file and check if you have full control permission under security tab.

And please locate the following registry key:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\pst
    Dword: pstdisablegrow
    Value: 1
    Resolution

If the value is 1, pleaes change it to 0 and data could then be added to the PST file.

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Friday, October 05, 2012 7:14 AM

All replies

• Please locate the pst file and check if you have full control permission under security tab.

And please locate the following registry key:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\pst
    Dword: pstdisablegrow
    Value: 1
    Resolution

If the value is 1, pleaes change it to 0 and data could then be added to the PST file.

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Friday, October 05, 2012 7:14 AM
  • it works, thanks so much, Tony!
    Monday, October 08, 2012 8:12 AM
  • Thank you very much for this answer!
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:48 PM
  • I have a similar problem - can't store e-mail data from my outlook to my pst file located on an external hard drive.  I can read the data in the hard drive but I get same message if I attempt to empty the data from my deleted folder (in the pst file), for example.

I followed Tony's advice but when I go to ...\pst, I see Default and LastCorruptStore.  No Dword or the other lines in Tony's suggested solution.  Default has no value set and LastCorruptStore is equal to a file location on my C drive.  What am I missing.  By the way, I assume HKCU to be HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

Thanks.  My version is Microsoft Office Plus 2012, Version 14.0.7105.1000 (32 Bit)

Thursday, August 08, 2013 3:34 AM
  • I have same problem as Darkfelloww. Ie Tony's suggestion does not work for me. (I think I have OL 2010)

Monday, December 16, 2013 12:53 AM
  • I would recommend a registry search for "pstdisable".  I found a similar entry to Tony's:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\office\14.0\outlook\pst\pstdisablegrow

I changed this to "0" and restarted Outlook.

Now to be fair, I was getting a permission error while trying to move and categorize messages. However, I had this problem before while trying to export messages.  

An issue for me is that the network admins keep resetting this value.  I am moving my personal (i.e. non-business) account to my hard drive and categorizing my E-mail.  If I tried that with my business account, I might have trouble keeping my job.  If you are in a similar position, use this advice cautiously.

• Proposed as answer by random_dug Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:54 PM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:54 PM