none
cannot start microsoft office outlook

Question

• hi

after configuring outlook with the exchange 2003 mail am getting the message " cannot start Microsoft Office outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. You must connect to Microsoft  Exchange with the current profile before you can synchronize your folders with your offline folder file"

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 12:24 PM

Answers

• Hi

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, I understand that  you try to connect Outlook  to Microsoft Exchange Server, but failed. If there is any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Note: please post the version of Outlook program next time, we can troubleshoot your issue faster, thanks.

Suggestion A

Cause: This problem may occur if you configure outlook incorrect for your mail accounts.

You'll need to create a new Outlook profile from scratch, then configure it correctly for your mail accounts

How to create and configure an email profile in Outlook 2010, Outlook 2007, and Outlook 2003 you can refer to this link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918

Suggestion B

Cause: This problem may occur if the Outlook client computer does not have a default gateway configured.

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756  How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

To add this DWORD value yourself, follow these steps.

Outlook 2007

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following subkey:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\RPC

1. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    2. Type DefConnectOpts, and then press ENTER.
    3. Right-click DefConnectOpts, and then click Modify.
    4. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
    5. Exit Registry Editor.

Outlook 2010

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following subkey:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\RPC

1. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    2. Type DefConnectOpts, and then press ENTER.
    3. Right-click DefConnectOpts, and then click Modify.
    4. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
    5. Exit Registry Editor.

To have us add this value for you, go to the "Fix it for me" section.

Fix it for me

To adding the DefConnectOpts value automatically, click the Fix this problem link. Then, click Run in the File Download dialog box and follow the steps in this wizard. 

More detailed information you can refer to this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913843

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely

William Zhou CHN
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:32 AM