none
Outlook 2010 error "this operation cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer"

Question

• I see this error "this operation cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer" when clicking on a link in an email that should just launch a website.  Copying the URL into the browser works fine. The error only ocurrs when clicking on a link in the body of the HTML formatted email.

I haven't been able to find any restrictive settings in Outlook & have no issues on other computers with the same emails.  Wondering if it might be a setting buried in Win 7 Ultimate somewhere?

I've searched Outlook help & Technet with no luck yet.

Thursday, November 11, 2010 3:31 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This issue might occur as the following registry key is either missing or corrupted:

HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Classes\htmlfile\shell\open\command\

You can try the suggestions in the KB article to fix it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310049

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com   

• Edited by Sally Tang Monday, November 15, 2010 9:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:45 AM
    Friday, November 12, 2010 6:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This issue might occur as the following registry key is either missing or corrupted:

HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Classes\htmlfile\shell\open\command\

You can try the suggestions in the KB article to fix it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310049

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Edited by Sally Tang Monday, November 15, 2010 9:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:45 AM
    Friday, November 12, 2010 6:11 AM
  •  

Hi,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. Is the problem resolved? If there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Monday, November 15, 2010 9:01 AM
  •  

Hi,

As I have not heard from you for several days. I will go ahead and close this thread. If this issue is not resolved or you have any questions, please feel free to reply to us and this thread will be re-opened.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Thursday, November 18, 2010 6:47 AM