none
Word 2010 - Location of normal global template

Question

• Hi all,

I make extensive customizations to styles to suit my personal preferences, for example, by allocating shortcut keys to some of the styles I use commonly. I have changed the default location of user templates in Word 2010's options menu to another hard disk.

I'm trying to backup the normal.dotx template that contains my modifications, so I can restore them after a clean install in future and copy it over to my laptop as well.

However, when I open up the normal.dotx template (by opening from Word) in C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates to verify that it contains my modification, I discovered that they contain the default settings. However, the modifications are still preserved, for they are there when I launch a new word document, say by opening Word from the start menu.

Does anyone know what's happening? I have searched C:\ for all *.dotx and there is indeed only 1 normal.dotx in C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates, yet it does not seem to contain my changes at all. From what I understand (perhaps misguidedly), the user templates does not refer to the normal template. In any case, I do have a normal.dotx file sitting in that location. It too does not contain the modifications. I have also tried the reverse, by opening up the normal.dotx template and modifying some font settings etc, but those modifications do not show when I create a new word doc.

Thanks!

Jay

Sunday, January 09, 2011 3:46 AM

Answers

• The Normal template in Word 2010 (and Word 2007) is Normal.dotm, not Normal.dotx. Word will ignore Normal.dotx if it's present.

You'll find the Normal.dotm with your customizations in the folder that you chose as the User Templates folder, wherever that is.

Jay Freedman
    MS Word MVP  FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
    • Marked as answer by blujay Sunday, January 09, 2011 9:06 AM
    Sunday, January 09, 2011 4:31 AM

All replies

• The Normal template in Word 2010 (and Word 2007) is Normal.dotm, not Normal.dotx. Word will ignore Normal.dotx if it's present.

You'll find the Normal.dotm with your customizations in the folder that you chose as the User Templates folder, wherever that is.

Jay Freedman
    MS Word MVP  FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
    • Marked as answer by blujay Sunday, January 09, 2011 9:06 AM
    Sunday, January 09, 2011 4:31 AM
  • Hi Jay,

Sorry that was a typo. I did the above with normal.dotm, not .dotx. My bad. Darn I had another .dotm file outside of the user templates folder, so it was a huge mixup.

I verified that the .dotm template in the user templates folder does contain my mods.

Thanks!

Sunday, January 09, 2011 8:39 AM
  • I am having a similar problem. I am the Software Support person managing the Office 2010 installation. If I look in file locations for templates in Word it gives the location for somewhere on c:\... Then we have a shared template that I have setup for our workgroup templates.

Now often when staff go to save their Word documents it asks them if they want to save changes to the global template (which happens to be the one on the shared folder. There is no normal.dotm in the location on the c:\ drive.

I don't know what to do. Someone, somehow, has saved that normal.dotm on the shared folder with margins of 1/4". If you try to change them and then resave the template you can't. Besides the user template should be just that - for the user.

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:46 PM