none
Corrupt Windows 7 OS

Question

• A week ago I was cleaning up the registry and temp files on my Windows 7 64  bit PC with a software app that I have used many times before on several PC's.  When it was finished I was going to defrag the hard drive and backup the PC.  I brought up windows explorer to run defrag from C:, Properties, Tools when my desktop icons all changed from executable Icons to read with Adobe/Reader (document) icons.  I then proceeded to open Control Panel to see if I could fix the issue when I received the message Control Panel (Empty.)  I have run Windows 7 Repair to no avail.  Can someone suggest another way of repairing the system without blowing away the current install of Windows 7.
    • Moved by David WoltersModerator Tuesday, March 13, 2012 2:03 PM moving to a more appropriate forum (From:Office IT Pro General Discussions)
    Monday, March 12, 2012 7:49 PM

All replies

• Last straw breaks the camel's back. What do you expect from Microsoft forum, when you used unknown and undisclosed cleaning tools?

My suggestion is "upgrade" from installation media, when return to previous restore point is not successful.

Try to contact the cleaning software vendor forum or support.

Regards

Milos

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:54 PM
  • did the cleaning utility you used not backup the registry files it amended / deleted before it did its cleanup? i would check to see if it did.

if not open an elevated command prompt and run sfc /scannow

see if that fixes

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:04 PM
  • Do you have a regular system disk backup plan?

Renee

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:18 PM
  • Try returning to a previon restoration.

Renee

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:20 PM