none
This product needs an MSDS. It is hazardous to your eyesight.

Question

• It was bad enough when I found out I could no longer get Office 2010 from my distributer, but now this? I will be deploying a few new machines soon with Office 2013 installed. What do I tell these people who have to work within Office all day, everyday? Put up with the eyestrain? Get on the stick MS. You screwed up, now fix it!
    • Edited by Champtech Wednesday, January 02, 2013 6:58 PM edit
    Wednesday, January 02, 2013 6:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you checked the new themes - Light Gray and Dark Gray?

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 03, 2013 2:43 AM
  • Yes. They don't help much. For the occasional user fine, but I feel for those who will be using it full time.
    • Proposed as answer by KCDW Monday, March 18, 2013 2:31 PM
    Thursday, January 03, 2013 7:29 PM
  • It is so sad what they have done with Office 2013. Major step-backwards.
    Friday, January 04, 2013 4:36 AM
  • Thank you for the feedback on Office’s new look. We are actively collecting, sorting and reading through feedback on Office 2013’s design and User Experience. As the audience for Office 2013 grows, we are being mindful of patterns and pain points that emerge from user feedback. While we do not have any additional Themes planned at this time, it is an issue we are watching very closely.

Regards,
    Anita Oakley

Friday, January 04, 2013 3:41 PM
  • Not closely enough from what I have seen. Do you remember a time when Microsoft made products according to the customers wants and needs. This is completely wrong and backwords. Just ask Bill Gates, he will agree. He founded Microsoft on the concept of making computer for every house. I'm pretty sure he wanted it to be a comfortable product rather than a burden as it has become. Oh but that Bill come be the President again and take back control of his wonderful creation that has gone so far astray.

I dare you to make this right.

Chris Ward

Friday, January 18, 2013 10:26 PM
  • Note to Microsoft: don't you dare change ANYTHING about Office 2013 as it stands today. It is simply superlative, a real step forward building on the strengths of Office 2010.

When I find a thread like this I think of the fuddy-duddy techs I work with who--to this day--lament the passing of Windows 98. One of these guys, to this day, STILL sets the XP/Win7 start menu to the old style and litters the desktop with system icons to the consternation of all. He simply can't work with Control Panel's category view, and heaven help us if hidden files are hidden. We won't discuss his take on Windows 8, it is predictable. I just tell him to go buy a Mac and that shuts him up.

The new ribbon in Win8's file explorer is a great, great move, and I only wish it showed by default! Ribbons are certainly the way to go and they look and work great in Office 2013.

FYI, my students--your future buyers--they ALL want office 2013.

Saturday, January 19, 2013 6:59 PM
  • Note to Microsoft: don't you dare change ANYTHING about Office 2013 as it stands today. It is simply superlative, a real step forward building on the strengths of Office 2010.

When I find a thread like this I think of the fuddy-duddy techs I work with who--to this day--lament the passing of Windows 98. One of these guys, to this day, STILL sets the XP/Win7 start menu to the old style and litters the desktop with system icons to the consternation of all. He simply can't work with Control Panel's category view, and heaven help us if hidden files are hidden. We won't discuss his take on Windows 8, it is predictable. I just tell him to go buy a Mac and that shuts him up.

The new ribbon in Win8's file explorer is a great, great move, and I only wish it showed by default! Ribbons are certainly the way to go and they look and work great in Office 2013.

Thanks for the input!

To make the ribbon in Windows 8's File Explorer showed by default, we can enforce the setting by using group policy settings as following:

Local Computer Policy | Adminictrative Templates | Windows Components | File Explorer | Start File Explorer with ribbon minimized

Enable the setting, and select "Never open new File Explorer windows with the ribbon minimized.", there you go.

BTW, for feedbacks about Windows 8, I'd recommend the Windows forum categories http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w8itpro

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 21, 2013 2:13 AM

So your opinion is that we who find issues with a product and offer feedback on it, should not have an opinion. Further you like to insult those with professional opinions and personnel preferences. As far as I am concerned you are welcome to your opinion and everyone else is welcome to theirs, but please don't insult others opinions, especially since you use it in a manner to boast your own opinion. Since your post does nothing to counter nor support the facts being reported, then I think your opinion is simply vile remarks against other people and you should delete your remarks or at least modify them to not be insulting, especially to your co-worker(s) who may or may not be reading this post. By the way in this day and age if your boss reads what you wrote, your boss may be required to reprimand you for insulting your co-worker including termination of your employment.

This thread is about an issue with Office 2013 and being too bright to keep focus on it. Not about the workings behind the scenes that we all enjoy. Not about Ribbons or menus. Not about Windows-8. This is about how Office 2013 looks like on the majority of computers TODAY! Your remarks do not apply to this discussion.

Chris Ward

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:31 PM

You are either a MS shill or a troll. There is no way you or your students actually use Office 2013 and can say that "they ALL want office 2013". No way. Office 2013 is a disaster with hundreds of features now missing that were present in Office 2010.

• Edited by ABCFED Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:55 PM
    • Proposed as answer by KCDW Monday, March 18, 2013 2:32 PM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:47 PM
  • Notice also how the MS moderator highlighted the post of the fanboy, thanking for the input even - all the other opinions don't count!

They are far beyond ivory tower now. The self-congratulatory sentiment is pretty extreme at MS these days.

• Edited by VeryBoringNickname Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:41 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:39 PM
  • While we do not have any additional Themes planned at this time

and thus proof positive that the Office development team consists of pod people. No human could have designed the current product and eye-gouging gray themes. The good news is that all the Microsoft employees themselves have to live with it the way it is and deal with it on a daily basis. It makes me feel better knowing this.

:)

• Edited by SAS71 Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:10 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:09 PM
  • " Do you remember a time when Microsoft made products according to the customers wants and needs. This is completely wrong and backwords."

Not sure what "facts" are being reported here, Chris, but you can have your opinion and I can have mine. You posted yours and I posted mine. Now grow up and take it like a man. Fact is, my students very much enjoy Office 2013, so it would appear to me that Microsoft is making products according to their customers wants and needs. It's not, as you opine, "completely wrong and backwords (sic)" but rather a great step forward, in our view. We've sat down and used the product for a few weeks, and by consensus never want to use 2010 again given the choice.

Yes, we DO change the background to Dark Gray. We also change the default save location to our SkyDrive directories. Use the customization tool prior to deployment, issue moot.  

And by the way, Chris, I am the boss, and we all have thick skins around here.

NOTE: Noone was terminated during the posting of this note, but the boss was required to buy a round for the fuddy-duddies.

Sunday, March 17, 2013 4:14 PM
  • Not a shill or troll at all. Just a network guy/computer instructor who works with about 350 students on a weekly basis and solicits feedback. I'm sure that you, too, work over the shoulder of your users and listen to their comments, questions, and concerns. We're moving to Office 365 for sure next year so they can have office on demand and work the magic at home as well. We'll also have Office Pro on-site.

The "missing features" are there, my friend. Check the pictures functionality, just for starters. Go ahead, insert an online picture in PowerPoint. Then crop it, remove the background, color it . . . rather PhotoShop-esque, isn't it?

--the fanboi 

Sunday, March 17, 2013 4:22 PM
  • Thanks for that, Max. We'll work it into our unattend routine for good measure.
    Sunday, March 17, 2013 4:24 PM