none
Microsoft Outlook has stopped working

Question

• Outlook has recently stopped working. It was working great when first installed about a week ago, but now has suddenly stopped. When you start Outlook, around 10 to 30 seconds after starting you get the error "Microsoft Outlook has stopped working". You get the usual "looking for a solution" which sometimes restarts Outlook and other times just suggests you close it.

I have ran Office Diagnostics, which says it has repaired a problem but this makes no difference. Also tried repair install, and also uninstalling Outlook and then reinstalling it. Even uninstalled Office and reinstalled it, and also rolled back to a date when Outlook worked, both with no luck. Also logged onto a new user account which prompted outlook to create a new user profile, but once this process completed and it started checking the email for the new user the same error occurred.

Running Windows 7 Home Premium and Office 2007 Professional Plus. Automatic updates is active for both so all updates have been installed, including Office Service Pack 2.

I've tried searching for answers to this issue without any luck. Any help would be appreciated as it is getting frustrating as I can't access my email history on this PC.

Thanks.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:53 AM

All replies

• Just an update to this, Access 2007 causes the same error if you try to choose any of the "Featured Online Templates". Clicking on any of these options causes the program to stop and the "Microsoft Access has stopped working" warning shows up with the recommendation to Close Program.

Selecting a Blank Database seems to work fine.

Also, using InfoPath, you get the message that InfoPath is not the default program to handle XML files, but if you choose yes to make it the default program then the "Diagnose and Repair" dialog box shows up. This happens every time you open InfoPath!

I'm assuming the issue with Outlook has something to do with these problems as well(???????????????)
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 5:30 AM
  • I am experiencing exact same problem. Running Windows 7 Home Premium, recently installed Office Ultimate 2007. I would also appreciate some help/suggestions/tips to solving this issue. Thanks
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 2:02 PM
  • Hi,

could you please tell the exact error message. Also please try to open Outlook /safe. type this in run box and check if it works

Sunday, February 07, 2010 5:01 PM
  • Just to add my two cents, I'm having the exact same problem. Won't run in /safe mode. Found a proposed solution that involved the /resetnavpane switch which also does not work.

Much of the reading I'm doing has to do with disabling Add-ins ... but I can't get Outlook to stay open long enough to get to the tools menu to many any such adjustments.

HELP!!!!
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:26 PM
  • I'm having the same problem.  I've been running Windows 7 with Outlook 2007 for five months and now it says "MS outlook has stopped working" when it goes out to send/receive upon opening.  I've removed, reinstalled Outlook, created a new profile, repaired.  I disabled the addins that it would let me disable.  I can't open it in safe mode.  It also wouldn't let me restore to any previous dates.  Why is this happening now?  What can I do it fix it?

Thanks,

Monday, April 12, 2010 3:51 PM
  • Any luck with this?  I have the same problem as all these threads (except I can work offline and in safe mode) and have tried all the same solutions with no luck.  How did you solve your problem?  Hopefully youhave since it's been a year! 

MANY THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frustrated in NC,

Teresa

Teresa
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 12:53 AM
  • Same problem runinng windows 7, MS office suite 2007

outlook w " not responding" message - diagnostics check out fine.

Saturday, January 29, 2011 10:30 PM
  • I had the same issue with Office 2010.  I ran the repair, re-installed, uninstalled and reinstalled and I checked that outlook was not installed in Compatibility mode as suggested in some forums, but that was not my issue. 

I just found the .ost file for my profile and renamed it .old.  When I started outlook, the file was re-created and everything worked just fine.  I thought I might need to re-enter all of my account info, but that data was retained.  I guess it was just a corrupt ost file.

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 1:54 PM
  • I tried confguring another profile by going into

Control Panel

Mail

Show profiles

Add then here add the profile for the user.  You might have to add the .pst files to his profile after confgiuration. In my case we keep a copy on the server as well so it downloaded all the mails from there.

Thanks

Manish

Monday, May 23, 2011 3:14 PM