none
Bandwidth Utilization Analyzer step by step?

Question

• Can anyone provide step by step instructions fro using the Bandwidth Utilization Analyzer tool in the res kit?  The included instructions are next to useless...

Any hep appreciated.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:40 AM

Answers

• Hi,raglandan,

There are some detailed description in the following section:

The following file directories can be specified by the user as shown in Figure 2:

• Server log files location   The folder location where Bandwidth policy server logs are stored. This is typically in <fileserver>\<choice of FE>\AppServerFiles\PDP.
    • Temporary file storage location   The temporary file location where intermediate files are stored while the report is being generated.

So it should be the corresponding path in your Lync file share,like as \\Lyncshare\1-ApplicationServer-1\AppServerFiles\PDP.

B/R

Sharon

Sharon Shen

TechNet Community Support

************************************************************************************************************************

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

Monday, April 16, 2012 9:55 AM

All replies

• For details, see Microsoft Lync Server 2010 Resource Kit Tools. There you can findinformation about how to use Bandwidth Utilization Analyzer.

If answer is helpful, please mark as answer or hit the green arrow on the left.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:59 AM
  • As I said - the included instructions are too vague.  Does anyone have any real world experieince in setting this up?

Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:49 PM
  • Then tell what do you need exactly? What do you want to know what is not described in related document?

If answer is helpful, please mark as answer or hit the green arrow on the left.

Friday, April 13, 2012 5:16 AM
  • Step 2 File Directories - what location do I use for the Server Logs?
    Monday, April 16, 2012 3:16 AM
  • Hi,raglandan,

There are some detailed description in the following section:

The following file directories can be specified by the user as shown in Figure 2:

• Server log files location   The folder location where Bandwidth policy server logs are stored. This is typically in <fileserver>\<choice of FE>\AppServerFiles\PDP.
    • Temporary file storage location   The temporary file location where intermediate files are stored while the report is being generated.

So it should be the corresponding path in your Lync file share,like as \\Lyncshare\1-ApplicationServer-1\AppServerFiles\PDP.

B/R

Sharon

Sharon Shen

************************************************************************************************************************

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

Monday, April 16, 2012 9:55 AM
  • Hi Sharon, thanks for the reply but I have no files in there though?
    Monday, April 16, 2012 8:18 PM
  • Hi,there,

I supposed you didn't create bandwidth policy and enable CAC,right?You should enable CAC,create bandwidth policy and publish the topology again.

Look at this old thread http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-HK/ocsplanningdeployment/thread/2cd705bd-ad69-47f4-916e-9251150a515b 

B/R

Sharon

Sharon Shen

Thursday, April 19, 2012 10:50 AM
  • Hi Sharon - I have enabled CAC and re-run the installation on the front end server.  Both services are installed and started.  One thing that may be affecting this is that we have just upgraded from 2007R2 and I still have a backcompat site in my topology as I still have three branch office mediation servers that are 2007R2.  The site in question that I am testing from has a 2007R2 mediation server.  Could this be affecting things?  I plan to implement Media Bypass for this site (I have a certified gateway there) and remove the Mediation server completely.

Will CAC not work or show any sign it is running until I remove this 2007R2 mediation server?

Thursday, April 19, 2012 11:04 PM
  • Sorry for taking so long time to reply.

It maybe the cause since it has many days passed,have you decommission OCS mediation server already?

B/R

Sharon

Sharon Shen

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:38 AM
  • Hi Sharon - no I haven't as I want to do without a Mediation server at the branch sites but am unsure if I can do this.  I plan to remove the Mediation Server soon
    Monday, April 30, 2012 7:24 AM
  • Hello,

Having the same issue here.  I have done the following:

1. Enabled CAC (Which is working)

2. RE-Ran the deployment wizard on each FE server in my environment.

My bandwidth logs are not populating in \\Lyncshare\1-ApplicationServer-1\AppServerFiles\PDP.  In fact, the directory is completely empty. 

Do I need to enable logging somewhere?

John K. Boslooper Unified Communication Engineer

Friday, August 30, 2013 11:30 AM
  • Hi raglandan,

There's one step that seems to be overlooked in all of the threads I've seen around CAC; you must enable PDP logging for the log files to be generated:

Set-CsBandwidthPolicyServiceConfiguration -Identity "Global" -EnableLogging 1

Once this cmdlet has been entered, PDP log files will be written to the Lync file share and you can import them into the Bandwidth Utilization tool.

Cheers,

Dan.

• Proposed as answer by DanInAus Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:06 AM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:06 AM
  • Thanks Dan!

I think this is the crucial step that EVERY article I read was missing.  I finally figured it out a few months back but it slipped my mind to respond.  Without enabling it, I had no data. 

-John

John K. Boslooper Unified Communication Engineer

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 2:19 PM