none
Convert Lync to VMware or install new Lync

Question

• Hi,

I have a Lync ent. farm which I need to do a lot of changes to. This is a production Lync.

1. Convert 3 servers (FE,Edge and Mediation) to VMware.

2. High Availability.

3. Change SQL db server

4. Change fileshare server.

5. Add new sip domain (new name of my company)

I will be using the same domain name, but all primary e-mail addresses have change to the new domain.

My question is,  can I  install a new Lync farm on the same domain and throw away the old farm or should I just change the old farm?

thanks,

Erró

Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:41 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can create a new site in the previous topology builder and create the new lync server pool in the site. After you deploy all new lync server and move the users to the new pool, you can decommission previous lync server and delete the old site.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, February 27, 2012 6:47 AM

All replies

• I would recommend preparing a new pool with all your requirements, test it as much as you want and when you're satisfied with the results, move all users to the new pool and decomission the current pool.

In this scenario, you'll probably save time, don't need to go into unsupported territory (physical to vmware migration?) and most important, do not have to bother your users with it. They just keep using the current installation until the new one is ready.

Certified IT Professional Lync Server 2010 / Exchange 2007 - http://www.uwictpartner.be
    If you think my post is the answer to your question, please mark it as answer so future visitors can easily find it.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 11:49 AM
  •  Hi Ruben, thanks for your repky.

Yes I think it would be easier to prepare a new pool. I can test most of it, but I can only have one dns srv record, need to provision with Microsoft again.

If I create a new pool on new virtual servers with new ip addresses, is there anything I should be extra careful with?

thks

Erró

Friday, February 24, 2012 9:54 AM
  • Hi ,

Ports should be open between pools (Eg:445) if they are belong to different network segments. Otherwise, you are good to go..!!

Thanks

Saleesh

Friday, February 24, 2012 11:04 AM
  • Hi,

You can create a new site in the previous topology builder and create the new lync server pool in the site. After you deploy all new lync server and move the users to the new pool, you can decommission previous lync server and delete the old site.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, February 27, 2012 6:47 AM