none
This copy of Microsoft Office 2010 cannot be used on a computer running Terminal Services. To User Office 2010 on a computer running Terminal Services, you must use a Volument License Edition of Office.

Question

• I Get the Message "this copy of Microsoft Office 2010 cannot be used on a computer running Terminal Services. To User Office 2010 on a computer running Terminal Services, you must use a Volument License Edition of Office." when installing visio on a computer with terminal services in a test environment. There are no keys provided in technet. Is this an error? There were keys provided for Visio 2007 for the VA but not 2010.

Andre
    Thursday, September 02, 2010 12:26 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This issue occurs when a retail edition, a trial edition, a pre-installed edition (PIPC), or an OEM edition of a Office 2010 program or suite is installed on a Terminal Server computer. Terminal Server does not support the installation of these editions of Office 2010 programs or suites.

To resolve this issue, install an edition of Office 2010 that uses a Volume License Key.

For more information about Microsoft Volume Licensing programs, visit the following Microsoft website: 

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suites/HA101080191033.aspx

Hope it helps.

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Friday, September 10, 2010 2:56 AM
    Friday, September 03, 2010 8:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This issue occurs when a retail edition, a trial edition, a pre-installed edition (PIPC), or an OEM edition of a Office 2010 program or suite is installed on a Terminal Server computer. Terminal Server does not support the installation of these editions of Office 2010 programs or suites.

To resolve this issue, install an edition of Office 2010 that uses a Volume License Key.

For more information about Microsoft Volume Licensing programs, visit the following Microsoft website: 

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suites/HA101080191033.aspx

Hope it helps.

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Friday, September 10, 2010 2:56 AM
    Friday, September 03, 2010 8:17 AM
  • How can a Microsoft Certified Partner obtain a key or a volume license edition which would allow us to install Visio 2010 on our Win 2008 R2 development server?     

We use Visio infrequently and would rather not install it on each developers computers.

Order Processing Technologies
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 9:00 PM
  • Yes, we are hitting the same problem. Are Technet subscriptions allowed only an Office 2010 terminal server installation, and not Visio 2010?
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:44 PM
  • I have installed Office 2010 Professional Plus with the terminal server key on Win2008R2.  Users are able to use Office 2010 applications.

We need to install Visio 2010.   All our developers 'desktops' on on this terminal server.

When I try to install with the normal product key, I get an dialog saying "This copy of Microsoft Office 2010 canot be used on a computer runnning Terminal Services.  To use Office 2010 on a computer running Terminal Services, you must use a Volume Lice edition of Office"

When I try to install Visio 2010 with the Office 2010 Volume license key I get "This is not a valid Office Product Key.  See above examples to learn more"

When I try to install Visio 2010 with a Visio 2010 Premium key from Technet, I get the same message as above.

Please describe the correct steps to install Visio so that it can be used by our developers.  We are a MS-certified partner.

Order Processing Technologies
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:43 PM
  • Same problem here, testing install variables of Visio on a terminal server, no way to get it installed without the VLK key, which we can't get as Technet Subscriber.

Michael, did you solve this yet?

Thanks,

Emile

Monday, March 14, 2011 8:04 PM
  • Same problem here, testing install variables of Visio on a terminal server, no way to get it installed without the VLK key, which we can't get as Technet Subscriber.

Michael, did you solve this yet?

Thanks,

Emile

I also receive this error. My copy was received from my employer, a MS reseller, at a discount. It used to work but suddenly does not.

As much as I do not like Office 2010 compared to 2003 - can you please provide a patch to allow it to function again?

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 5:16 PM
  • If you are an MSDN Subscriber, trying to install Visio 2010 on a Windows 2008 R2 Server used as a Workstation OS, you should  uninstall the Remote Desktop Services role and restart the machine to be able to install Visio.

HTH

Manesh

Manesh K
    Saturday, May 07, 2011 2:25 AM
  • Our MSDN subscription included a special license key for "Terminal Service enablement for Office 2010", which fixed this issue.
    Monday, July 01, 2013 1:39 PM