none
how to set automatically the chapter numbering 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.1.a... ect with the key F1, F2 ... that i can use in every document i open ?

Question

• How can I register the key F1 F2 on my PC as numbering key:

F1: 1, 2, 3

F2: 1.1, 2.1, 3.1

F3: 1.1.a, 2.1.a ...

Thursday, November 24, 2011 12:26 PM

Answers

• 1. Write or record macros to change the Numbering.

2. Save the macros to the Normal.dotm.

3. Add the macros as macro buttons.

4. Asign shortcut key to the macro buttons.

5. Make sure you set the security settings allow macros to run.

Inform if you need more detail.

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by dreatech Monday, November 28, 2011 8:23 AM
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 7:11 AM
  • Hi,

How can I register the key F1 F2 on my PC as numbering key:

I hope (for your own benefit) you created at first a List Style defining the outline numbering. And you linked each level of that List Style to a Paragraph Style (e.g. "Heading 1", "Heading 2", etc.).
    For more information see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/outlinenumbering.html
    Give thought to the template. Normal.dotm wouldn't be the best place. Create your own template.
    In an English version of Word following shortcut keys are already assigned to "Heading 1", "Heading 2", "Heading 3": Ctrl+Alt+1, Ctrl+Alt+2, Ctrl+Alt+3.
    However, you can assign your own shortcut keys: Modifying e. g. "Heading 1" will offer the command "Format | Shortcut Key". A Shortcut key can also be assigned by "Customize Ribbon | Keyboard shortcuts | Customize..."
    It seems that F1 cannot be assigned, because it is exklusive for Help.

Regards
    Lisa [MS MVP Word]

Saturday, November 26, 2011 8:46 AM

All replies

• 1. Write or record macros to change the Numbering.

2. Save the macros to the Normal.dotm.

3. Add the macros as macro buttons.

4. Asign shortcut key to the macro buttons.

5. Make sure you set the security settings allow macros to run.

Inform if you need more detail.

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, November 26, 2011 7:11 AM
  • Hi,

How can I register the key F1 F2 on my PC as numbering key:

I hope (for your own benefit) you created at first a List Style defining the outline numbering. And you linked each level of that List Style to a Paragraph Style (e.g. "Heading 1", "Heading 2", etc.).
    For more information see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/outlinenumbering.html
    Give thought to the template. Normal.dotm wouldn't be the best place. Create your own template.
    In an English version of Word following shortcut keys are already assigned to "Heading 1", "Heading 2", "Heading 3": Ctrl+Alt+1, Ctrl+Alt+2, Ctrl+Alt+3.
    However, you can assign your own shortcut keys: Modifying e. g. "Heading 1" will offer the command "Format | Shortcut Key". A Shortcut key can also be assigned by "Customize Ribbon | Keyboard shortcuts | Customize..."
    It seems that F1 cannot be assigned, because it is exklusive for Help.

Regards
    Lisa [MS MVP Word]

Saturday, November 26, 2011 8:46 AM
  • The problem is that I want to use this function on a blank computer. How to set this function on a word document that I open on any computer including a blank computer that is to say on a formatted computer
    Monday, November 28, 2011 1:58 PM
  • Thank you for your help.
    The problem is that I want to use this function on a blank computer. How to set this function on a word document that I open on any computer including a blank computer that is to say on a formatted computer?
    Regards
    Monday, November 28, 2011 1:59 PM
  • Hi,

The problem is that I want to use this function on a blank computer.

without any software you will not be able to open a document. So what do you mean by "blank" computer?

How to set this function on a word document that I open on any computer including a blank computer that is to say on a formatted computer?

I didn't talk about any function. Styles are basic Word features. And keyboard shortcuts can be saved in a single document. You did not test "Customize Ribbon | Keyboard shortcuts | Customize..."?

Regards
    Lisa [MS MVP Word]

Monday, November 28, 2011 2:47 PM