none
Trouble adding cells from different workbook tabs in Excel 2007

Question

• This is a very obscure problem, I'll do my best to explain what is happening...

Say you have a workbook with multiple tabs. I click in an empty cell, and press the "=" key on the keyboard to begin a formula. I then click onto a different tab in the workbook where I will select some cells to add. Here is where the problem occurs - I click on the cell that I want added, it gets selected and added to the formula, but in addition to that, one or more "selection boxes" will appear in random places on the worksheet. Here is a screenshot where I try to explain what is happening:

(Step 3 in my screenshot should say "These two boxes appear when clicking, not "then" clicking).

As noted in the screenshot, once this problem occurs, and I then press "Enter" to complete my formula, I get taken back to the tab where I started the formula, and the cell where I was entering my formula is blank (empty).

I've tried reinstalling Excel, tried deleting the user's Windows profile and recreating, no change. Happens to all of our Excel 2007 users (I'm using Excel 2010 and do not experience the same issue). Happens with .xls and .xlsx files. Happens in multiple different workbooks. It's very sporadic though, for example, one selection sequence will work fine, then if I immediately try the same selcetion sequence again, it will not work. The cells I'm selecting can be simple values or formulas, makes no difference. Tried changing some formula options (such as Autocalculate), but no difference. I'm at a loss.

Shaun

• Edited by Shaunm001 Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:33 PM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

Base on the test, we cannot reproduce the issue. We recommend you check if the Office 2007 SP3 has been installed on your clients. If not , you can download it from here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2526086

Then start Excel in safe mode to see if the issue would be reproduced. If not, you can try to disable both Excel Add-ins and COM Add-ins by File>Options>Add-Ins.

To start the Excel in safe mode , you can use the following command-line:

Excel.exe /safe

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely

Rex Zhang

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:26 AM