none
With office 365, outlook 2010,and BCM 2010, can the business contact manager database be hosted in the cloud?

Question

• We are setting up our system with office 365, which comes with outlook 2010, which comes with BCM 2010. I want to host the business contact database in the cloud somewhere. We are signed up with exchange and have sharepoint account also.

I want the database to be hosted in the cloud so anyone of 3 people can add and change information about contacts. As it is now, it looks like the database is trying to be hosted on my computer, which won't work as this computer is not always running and and connected to internet.

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 8:38 PM

Answers

• Hi David,

Yes, we can do that.

Quote:

If you want to host a Business Contact Manager database on a server, and you are an administrator on that server, you can use the Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2010 Database Tool. The server does not need to have Microsoft Office or Business Contact Manager for Outlook installed, but it must have a supported version of Microsoft SQL Server installed.

The tool opens the necessary firewall ports, grants users access to the database, and configures the SQL Server instance to allow external connections. Once the tool is installed, it allows you to manage your database on the server.

The following article explains how to use the Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2010 Database Tool on a server to create, migrate, share, back up, and restore Business Contact Manager databases.

Manage your Business Contact Manager database on a server

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/manage-your-business-contact-manager-database-on-a-server-HA101810395.aspx

Max Meng

TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 03, 2012 12:18 PM

All replies

• Hi David,

Yes, we can do that.

Quote:

If you want to host a Business Contact Manager database on a server, and you are an administrator on that server, you can use the Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2010 Database Tool. The server does not need to have Microsoft Office or Business Contact Manager for Outlook installed, but it must have a supported version of Microsoft SQL Server installed.

The tool opens the necessary firewall ports, grants users access to the database, and configures the SQL Server instance to allow external connections. Once the tool is installed, it allows you to manage your database on the server.

The following article explains how to use the Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2010 Database Tool on a server to create, migrate, share, back up, and restore Business Contact Manager databases.

Manage your Business Contact Manager database on a server

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/manage-your-business-contact-manager-database-on-a-server-HA101810395.aspx

Max Meng

TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 03, 2012 12:18 PM
  • I  don't think this is the solution David was looking for, and I have the same questions.  We use Office 365, not a server on a LAN.  We want to store and share the database in the cloud.  I can't install stuff on the Office 365 server coz it's managed by Microsoft!
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 7:52 PM
  • I have the same situation and need to know if BCM Database can be on the Cloud? Microsft CRM Dynamic's is a very expensive solution for 3 to 5 people working in different locations with internet connection.

Joana Villas-Boas

Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:05 PM
  • Did you find a way to sync your Outlook 2010 BCM database onto M365 cloud? I am in the same situation and do not want to purchase Dynamics...
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 10:01 PM
  • I too would be very interested in a cloud based BCM

Paul Hooper Route22 Ltd IT Support, Caterham, UK

Monday, January 14, 2013 6:43 PM