none
Calendars published to calendars.office.microsoft.com are not removed

Question

• How can I actually remove a calendar published to calendars.office.microsoft.com?

"Remove from server" doesn't seem to actually remove anything from the server. To see this in action, publish your calendar. Copy the webcal URL and use it to subscribe to your own calendar. Create a new appointment, click Send/Receive and confirm that the Internet calendar is updating correctly.

Then click "Remove from server" and delete the Internet calendar to which you subscribed. Close Outlook. Reopen Outlook. Add a second new appointment and click Send/Receive. Now, use the old webcal URL to subscribe to the old calendar - the one you removed.

Outlook will allow you to subscribe to the Internet calendar. You can confirm that it's out of date - it doesn't include the second new appointment. But there's nothing that tells you the Internet calendar isn't being updated.

The result is, although you aren't publishing your calendar any longer, folks who had previously subscribed to it don't realize they're no longer looking at an up-to-date calendar. Confusion results. It's worse than not being able to publish your calendar online, in the first place.

But, "Remove from server" does result in that command being greyed-out, on the Outlook 2010 menu. So, after you click it once, at least Outlook doesn't pretend the possibility to remove your data still exists (since it never existed, in the first place).

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 5:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I have tested “Remove from server”, after that I cannot re-subscribe old calendar, I got “Cannot verify or add the calendar to outlook. make sure the following link is a valid calendar link: ” prompting.

In general, the command is grayed out means calendar is not published online. Go to File – Account settings – Publish Calendars, check whether calendar remove!

The problem: folks don’t realize they’re no longer looking at an up-to-date calendar if you stop published your calendar. I’m afraid you should manually notification users, you have stop share calendar with them.

Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish

Friday, July 27, 2012 7:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have tested “Remove from server”, after that I cannot re-subscribe old calendar, I got “Cannot verify or add the calendar to outlook. make sure the following link is a valid calendar link: ” prompting.

In general, the command is grayed out means calendar is not published online. Go to File – Account settings – Publish Calendars, check whether calendar remove!

The problem: folks don’t realize they’re no longer looking at an up-to-date calendar if you stop published your calendar. I’m afraid you should manually notification users, you have stop share calendar with them.

Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish

Friday, July 27, 2012 7:51 AM
  • This is the same problem I've been having. Does anyone have any help for this? I was suggested to go to the Office Online Internet Calendar Publishing Service but the website for that service isn't working. 
    Monday, April 14, 2014 3:29 PM