none
Outlook 365 IMAP trying to delete system folder

Question

• I have a client who recently purchased a Windows 8 desktop and subscribed to Office 365. They are using IMAP to access their mail on a Godaddy server. The user occasionally gets a dialog box saying "Your IMAP server wants to alert you to the following: cannot remove system folder". Running a Wireshark trace, it seems Outlook is trying to delete a server folder called "Bulk Mail".

Any ideas on how to get rid of this annoying message?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:49 PM

All replies

• I've heard many of IMAP server alert before, but the "cannot remove system folder" is the new one. Let you know that I am performing research on this issue.

Meanwhile, we can also connect GoDaddy support to ask whehter they've got change of server site recently.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:03 AM
  • I had already contacted Godaddy and they were not aware of any issue. Also, other users in the same mail domain but with older versions of Outlook are not experiencing the issue.
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:10 PM
  • User got a new PC with a faster CPU and I'm waiting to see if the issue resurfaces.
    Monday, March 25, 2013 4:35 PM
  • Hi,

There are no known issues with Outlook 2013. That's a server-side message.  Outlook is just reporting to you that the server says it is having a problem.

You need to log on to the web mail and try to delete this folder. You can take help of GoDaddy if you would like to have them delete it for you.

The message only proves that the Bulk Mail folder is having an issue. I understand that older versions of Outlook will not have these issues as they ignore those messages while Outlook 2013 being smart client is going to throw that message.

Incase you need any further assistance i would suggest you to open phone support with Microsoft. You can create a ticket by calling customer central on 1-800-936-4900 or you can create online ticket by visiting our website https://support,microsoft.com/oas

Hope this helps

Thanks

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:31 AM