none
Cannot preview or play sound after inserting it into PowerPoint 2007

Question

• I want a sound file to play on a slide in the presentation. The file is an .mp3 file. I go to insert > Sound > From File and select the file from the C: drive. It asks how I want to play the file, and I click automatically. The sound simply will not play either when I play the presentation, or when I select the sound and and go to Options (under Sound Tools) and click preview... nothing plays. My volume is fine, the Slide Show Volume is full, and outside the presentation, I can launch the .mp3 file itself and it plays normally. 

What could be the issue here - do I have a bad installation of PowerPoint?

Monday, April 09, 2012 5:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You might encounter the following issue:

The sound file format is not supported in Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007
    Although your sound file may have the same file name extension as one in the compatible file formats list, it may not play correctly if the correct version of the codec is not installed, or if the file is not encoded in a format that is recognized by your version of Microsoft Windows. Encoding is the process of converting data into a stream of ones and zeros. Install the correct codec, or re-encode the file.
    Try playing the sound by using Microsoft Windows Media Player, which is part of Windows, to determine if the problem is with your sound file or with PowerPoint.

More detail information here:
    My sound doesn't play
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/powerpoint-help/my-sound-doesn-t-play-HA010077717.aspx

Sincerely
    Rex Zhang

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:58 AM