none
Office 2007 Error "Cannot send this meeting request. The property does not exist. The field you want to modify is not valid for this type of item"

Question

• Exchange 2007 with Office 2007 SP3.  We are not using cache exchange mode.

All,

I have one user who keeps getting the error below when they try to update a recurring meeting. When they go to update the meeting attendees(add or remove) and they click send update, the error pops up

"Cannot send this meeting request. The property does not exist. The field you want to modify is not valid for this type of item"

One thing I noticed was when this error appears it prevents the "send updates to added or removed attendees only" diaglog box from appearing. The meeting goes out but it goes to everyone,  and not just the updated or removed attendees.  This issue can be reproduced by doesn't occur everytime and it seems to be only occuring for one person. I tried re-installing Office 2007 in case it was the client.

I found an article on hidden attachments and removing them with a tool called MFCMapi.  When I use the tool I can see that there is some kind of embedded attachment which I can remove. This does seem to fix the issue but this is not a practical solution since it is occuring on new appointments.  I can't ask the user to run this tool and navigate to the hidden attachment and remove it. 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  Please let me know if you need more details.

Friday, March 09, 2012 5:07 PM

All replies

• Possibly a Mailbox Corruption

Try Moving the Mailbox to a Different database it should fix most of it !

Satheshwaran Manoharan | Exchange 2003/2007/2010 | Blog:http://www.careexchange.in | Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you

Friday, March 09, 2012 6:23 PM
  • Hi,

By the way, is it normal that the user send emails to others?

Please recreate outlook profile to check the result: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829918

Hope it helps.

Thanks

Sophia Xu

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Satish Auti Monday, March 12, 2012 8:23 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Satish Auti Monday, March 12, 2012 8:24 AM
    Monday, March 12, 2012 7:12 AM
  • I just resolved this issue. It was due to hidden attachments in the meeting request that is not viewable by looking at the request. To view and delete these attachments follow the below steps.

1- Download MFCMapi.exe from http://mfcmapi.codeplex.com/

2- Un-zip the file and click on the mfcmapi.exe

3- Click Session

4- Select Logon and Display Store Table

5- Select the mailbox

6- Expand Root

7- Select IPM_SUBTREE

8- Select Calendar

9- Click on the Subject header to sort by subject

10- Locate the meeting request

11- Verify that Att? header = True

12- Double click on the meeting, which will open the  meeting request, and verify the attachments it has if any

13- Close the meeting request

14- Right click on the meeting and select Display Attachment Table

15- Delete the attachments from the list except for the attachments you noticed in the meeting request

16- Restart Outlook
    • Proposed as answer by Satish Auti Monday, March 12, 2012 8:26 AM
    Monday, March 12, 2012 8:26 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestions, however I already tried rebuildng the profile a couple times.  I also tried the  MFCMapi.exe  steps as well and this does help but since it is occuring for new appointments as well as old appointments I can't really ask the user to go into this  MFCMapi.exe  program and remove the attachements.  I think it is something within the mailbox on the exchange server but not sure what at this moment.

Monday, March 12, 2012 12:56 PM
  • Hi,

If you delete those hidden attachments and make the issue disappear, you should ask the user to use MFCMapi tool. As per my experience, some issue did result from the hidden outlook rule or hidden attachments.

Hope it helps.

Thanks

Sophia Xu

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:41 AM
  •  

Thanks for the response. The tool does help, however using the tool is complicated and could also risk deleting the wrong e-mail, folder.  If you have ever used this program it's not user friendly. If it didn't occur on new appointments I would just go in and fix all the attachments.  Also it doesn't solve the issue of why it is occuring. I'll have to keep looking. 

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:43 PM
  • Hi,

Have you got any solution for this issue and we can't suggest to use such tool in day to day activity which could harm user data as well?

Anand

Friday, February 22, 2013 1:24 PM
  • I found a solution that worked on our issue.  We had the same problem, a user had an appointment that could not be deleted.  The original appointment had several other attendees and was created by an employee who has since left the company and whose account had been deleted.  We have Exchange 2007 and Outlook 2010.<o:p></o:p>

The fix is pretty simple.<o:p></o:p>

1) Create a new appointment calendar folder within the problem mailbox.<o:p></o:p>

2) Drag and drop the problem appointment to the new folder.<o:p></o:p>

3) Delete the new calendar folder (the one that has only the problem appointments) from the user's mailbox.<o:p></o:p>

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:49 PM