none
Prevent drag and drop of email messages to desktop/folders

Question

• Is there a way to prevent email messages from being dragged from Outlook onto the desktop or other folder for that matter?  Where I am going with this is to prevent staff from saving messages in other alternate location, because use of PST's has been disabled via GPO, so this would be one extra step.

NOTE: I have considered FSRM's File Screening Template, and that is definetly a doable, though FSRM only works on server 2008, and doesn't control Windows 7.

Thanks,

Christian

Christian Frank

Monday, August 20, 2012 3:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, it is impossible to disable Dragging & Dropping messages out of Outlook into Explorer on workstations.
    I would suggest creating logon and logoff scripts to clear the .msg files.
    Or
    Using IRM for e-mail messages
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/introduction-to-using-irm-for-e-mail-messages-HA010100366.aspx

Sincerely
    Rex Zhang

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:12 AM
  • I've sumised that IRM is the only option, other than FSRM, and even that has its limits with filter templates.

Thanks!

Christian Frank

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:15 PM
  • With Outlook 2010, this can be achieved by using DisableCopyToFileSystem registry key.

The DisableCopyToFileSystem registry key is located in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\.

Registry entry Type Value Description Deployment

DisableCopyToFileSystem

REG_MULTI_SZ

There are three string values that can be defined for this registry key:

1. An asterisk (*) will restrict a user from dragging messages from any account or Outlook data file (.pst) to the computer.

2. Domain name of e-mail account to be restricted. You can specify the domain of the accounts that you want to restrict. For example, contoso.com.

3. SharePoint   This string will restrict dragging data out of all SharePoint lists to the computer.

Defines accounts or Outlook data files (.pst) where dragging messages to the computer is not allowed.

This registry key can be deployed by manually adding it to the user’s registry.

• Proposed as answer by John Lou Monday, December 03, 2012 9:46 PM
    Monday, December 03, 2012 9:46 PM