none
Word 2010 Curser Flashing

Question

• When I open a document in word 2010 I am getting a cursor flashing busy and it is slowing up word operations. 

It only started the other day and I repaired office 2010 and it seemed to fix the problem. but when I rebooted it came back repairing again did not work.  If I just have word 2010 running with a blank doc then it still blinks the cursor with the busy icon.

Office 2010 Professional Plus, Windows 7 Ultimate

Any ideas

Clive

Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:27 PM

Answers

• Fixed it.

The problem came back today when I opened another document, 4 in total.  Switchwd of my PC for a while the restarted still no joy.  Rebooted into XP Pro, I have a dual boot system.  Still flashing busy.  I noticed when I wanted to print a document the printing options flashed, so I changed my deault printer and the flashing stopped.  Putting my oprinal defalt printer back and the flashing returned.  Removed the printer and reinstalled it no flashing now it is deault again.  Thefore printer driver corrupt.  

The reason it was ok some times I think, was I must have printed to somthing else and word remembered which printer I was using.  When I opened a document with the bad printer assigned the flashing returned.

You Know when you have fixed a faullt when you can remove it and re-introduce it at will.

Regards

Clive Baker

- Fault finding is easy, knowing were to look is the difficult bit.

• Marked as answer by cebbie Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:07 PM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The same issue is discussed in the article and the resolution is provided in the link below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941085

Regards,

Harry Yuan

Monday, August 16, 2010 6:12 AM
  • Hi Harry,

Thanx for you response,

I have an update, I shud doen my PC on Friday lunch and reopened it when I got home with no flashing cursor. it has bee on all weekend and has been hibenated then resumed still ok.

With reguard to the link, one of the docs I have open has a table in the footer, but will not change anything until the problem returns.  But if the problem exsist on a blank doc with nothing else open, it would sugest the it has nothing to do with items in the link.

I will let you know what happens if the problem returns,

Regards,

Clive Baker.

• Proposed as answer by Alex Soon Wednesday, March 06, 2013 4:33 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Alex Soon Wednesday, March 06, 2013 4:36 AM
    Monday, August 16, 2010 7:38 AM
  •      hi, cebbie.

I hope you solve this issue earlier, please let me know if you have any new issues.

Regards,

Harry Yuan

Monday, August 16, 2010 8:04 AM
  • Fixed it.

The problem came back today when I opened another document, 4 in total.  Switchwd of my PC for a while the restarted still no joy.  Rebooted into XP Pro, I have a dual boot system.  Still flashing busy.  I noticed when I wanted to print a document the printing options flashed, so I changed my deault printer and the flashing stopped.  Putting my oprinal defalt printer back and the flashing returned.  Removed the printer and reinstalled it no flashing now it is deault again.  Thefore printer driver corrupt.  

The reason it was ok some times I think, was I must have printed to somthing else and word remembered which printer I was using.  When I opened a document with the bad printer assigned the flashing returned.

You Know when you have fixed a faullt when you can remove it and re-introduce it at will.

Regards

Clive Baker

• Marked as answer by cebbie Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:07 PM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:04 PM
  • I had this issue also, where the rotating round busy cursor was always being displayed on my Word documents. The resolution for me was to change my printer within the doc and this stopped. When I change back to the same printer the cursor problem returns. I will search for newer printer drivers and report if this resolves the issue.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 2:26 AM
  • Thank you, Thank you.. Clive you are a life Saver...
    Thursday, June 02, 2011 2:05 PM
  • Excellent! Clive you just saved me hours of uninstalling (I was planning to remove and reinstall the whole suite) and investigations. THANKS
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 9:45 PM
  • "Papunis" wrote in message news:21f63283-7e95-4b87-b3f4-288b7690efcc@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    Excellent! Clive you just saved me hours of uninstalling (I was planning to remove and reinstall the whole suite) and investigations. THANKS

I’m glad you got it sorted.

Note that reinstalling usually does not fix any issues with Word (because registry entries and certain files will be retained).

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 11:01 PM
  • This problem surfaced tonight for me.  This is a Windows 7 Ultimate system with Office 2010 installed.  The whole system is about a month old.  The cursor flashing is eating up 32% of my CPU bandwidth.  This occurs on a brand new document page.  When I change printer drivers the flashing persists but changes frequency.  This happens even when "Send to OneNote" is the default printer.  All of the other Office 2010 tools (like Excel) operate fine.  This problem only exists in Word.

So, what's the real underlying problem with Word 2010 that is causing this?  The only software that has been updated is Word 2010.  The printer driver has been unchanged.

• Proposed as answer by Alex Soon Wednesday, March 06, 2013 4:35 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Alex Soon Wednesday, March 06, 2013 4:36 AM
    Friday, February 03, 2012 4:46 AM
  • I just had this issue surface at the start of the week. After opening Word 2010 on a Win 7 Pro machine the cursor will alternate between pointer and circle while flashing the whole time after about 30 sec. I tried a system restore and a repair of the Office installation. That seemed to resolve the issue but after a couple of hours the problem returned. It doesn't affect typing, but I cannot re-size table columns (in the body of the document) from the ruler bar. This problem also only exists in Word for me. Word will also sometimes seize up and close. I haven't given the printer driver a look yet but I will. If the printer driver is corrupted however, why would it only affect Word and not any other program?
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:09 PM
  • I have a Win 7 machine with Word 2010 and have had this exact problem every since I installed MS Office 2010 a month a go.  As soon as I open a document (even a blank one) in Word, the blinking starts.  At the same time, my CPU starts going crazy and the fan on it turns on high.  Even after I close the program, if I hover the cursor over the directory in which the file was located, the blinking starts up again.  Reading this thread, I tried changing the default printer in Word and it helped but did not eliminate the problem.  If the printer driver is at fault, then why are all the rest of the prorgrams that use the printer function properly?  Another thing I noticed is that the blinking seems to indicate that Word is trying to save the document 10 times a second.  Sure enough there is a document on my machine called "Normal" at this location:

\username\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

That seems to refresh every time I open WOrd.  In order to calm down my CPU and stop the fan and blinking I have to go to this directory and manually delete this file.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 1:22 AM
  • Fixed it.

Regards

Clive Baker

When word document 2010 is opened on a win 7, cursor flashes with circular ring. Tried rebooting, doesn't work. Problem fixed when default printer is changed. Didn't have to reinstall printer driver. Just right click browser on printer driver in question. Choose troubleshoot, let Win7 resolve issue. problem solved. Thanks Clive.

Regards,

AS

• Proposed as answer by ghinfla Monday, April 22, 2013 1:02 PM
    Wednesday, March 06, 2013 4:38 AM
  • Clive nailed it. I tried all the above on a Canon MX410. Running Office 2007 on a Win 7 64 bit machine. Right clicking and running troubleshoot fixed it. BUT, I have to admit I can never remember running a MS troubleshoot that worked. First time for everything.
    Monday, April 22, 2013 1:05 PM
  • This worked for me, but the problem is back now, and the troubleshoot doesn't work this time.  The cursor is still going crazy!

Friday, June 14, 2013 4:58 PM
  • I had the same problem. I found the solution when I went to the Add-Ins. The Bluetooth was activated, when I deactivted the bluetooth the falshing stopped

Greetings

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:06 AM
  • In my case, it was being caused by the Adobe Contribute Plugin from Adobe Creative Suite.  Removing that addin stopped the blinking.
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 8:32 PM