none
Powerpoint 2010 can't enter more than a word or two in notes box

Question

• I was wondering if anyone else has run into a problem entering in notes at the bottom box of a powerpoint 2010 presentation?  When we go to enter notes I am able to get a word in or two and it just clicks out of the notes window.  Then to continue I have to click back into the notes box.  If I open the standalone notes window I have no issues.

I am not the only one having these issues.  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-powerpoint/cant-edit-notes-field-in-powerpoint-2010/2479b499-ce19-42b7-b1cc-5bb453d7c17f

Thanks,

Jason

Monday, May 23, 2011 5:43 PM

Answers

• Hello Jason,

I downloaded and installed a trial version of the software.  At first I could not reproduce the issue but I installed the latest updates and I could then reproduce the issue.  I found that if I turned off the floating toolbar, I no longer had the issue.

Thanks,

Aaron

• Marked as answer by oliphanj Wednesday, June 08, 2011 1:25 PM
    Tuesday, June 07, 2011 9:22 PM
  • Aaron,

Great catch.  We just got this from Smart Tech.  We will see how long it takes for this to come out. 

To let you know, terminating the SMART Board Tools.exe process will also terminate Aware.exe (which is what causes this problem with PowerPoint) among other SMART Processes.  SMART Board Tools.exe starts up other processes along with Aware.exe.  Instead of terminating SMART Board Tools.exe which terminates the other processes with it you would just need to terminate Aware.exe to see that it is in fact Aware.exe that is the culprit.

Our Developers are aware of this problem and will be in the process of correcting this in a later Update / Release of SMART Product Drivers.  I am not sure which release will have this software correction.

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 1:25 PM

All replies

• Hello Jason,

Does the issue happen in PowerPoint safe mode as Steve suggested in the link you provided(Try starting PPT in Safe Mode: hold down the CTRL key while you doubleclick the PPT icon. Hold the key down until you see a message asking whether you want to start in Safe Mode. Say Yes.)?   We have seen this issue happen before with addins.

Does the issue happen if you change the default printer to Microsoft XPS Document Writer?

Thanks,

Aaron

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 3:48 PM
  • Aaron,

Running in Safe mode does not help and changing the default print does not either.  That is one plug-in that is installed which we think is causing the problem and it is from Smart Tech.

http://smarttech.com/us/Solutions/Education+Solutions/Products+for+education/Complementary+hardware+products/SMART+Response

It is Smart Response.  It is causing another issue with PPT as well.  But why would it still be happening in Safemode?

Thanks,

Jason

Thursday, May 26, 2011 4:51 PM
  • Hello Jason,

Does the issue happen if you disable the Smart Response addin?

To do this, Open PowerPoint 2010.

Click the File Button.

Click Options

Click the Add-Ins tab.  Here you can see the different addins loading with PowerPoint.

You'll want to check what type of addin the Smart Response addin is.  I'd have to assume it's a COM addin.

On the Manage drop-down, make sure COM Add-ins is displayed and click the Go button.

On the COM Add-in dialog box you can view the addins currently loaded with PowerPoint.  Uncheck the Smart Response addin to disable it and test.

Thanks,

Aaron

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 4:51 PM
  • Aaron,

The problem still shows up even though I disable the Add-in.  When I uninstall the software the problem goes away.  The bad part is we need that software installed.

Thanks,

Jason

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Thursday, June 02, 2011 8:41 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by oliphanj Thursday, June 02, 2011 2:24 PM
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 9:06 PM
  • Hello Jason,

I downloaded and installed a trial version of the software.  At first I could not reproduce the issue but I installed the latest updates and I could then reproduce the issue.  I found that if I turned off the floating toolbar, I no longer had the issue.

Thanks,

Aaron

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 9:22 PM
  • Aaron,

Great catch.  We just got this from Smart Tech.  We will see how long it takes for this to come out. 

To let you know, terminating the SMART Board Tools.exe process will also terminate Aware.exe (which is what causes this problem with PowerPoint) among other SMART Processes.  SMART Board Tools.exe starts up other processes along with Aware.exe.  Instead of terminating SMART Board Tools.exe which terminates the other processes with it you would just need to terminate Aware.exe to see that it is in fact Aware.exe that is the culprit.

Our Developers are aware of this problem and will be in the process of correcting this in a later Update / Release of SMART Product Drivers.  I am not sure which release will have this software correction.

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 1:25 PM
  • YES!! I had this same problem! It's totally the Smartboard Software! I deleted the Smart Driver Tools (I kept the Notebook software) and now I can type normally in the PPT notes! Thanks guys!

-Marti

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 11:47 PM
  • Hello,

You should be able to keep SMART Board Tools.exe running while disabling SMART Ink Aware for Microsoft PowerPoint 2010.  Select the Windows Start button and run SMARTBrd.exe to open SMART Control Panel.  In its window select Configure SMART Tools > Ink Aware Program Settings.  Deselect the "Aware Enabled" button next to all the Microsoft PowerPoint choices.

SMART Product Drivers version 10.8 was released July 27, 2011 along with SMART Notebook 10.8 and our new Education Software Installer.  More information about upgrading is available at the SMART Technologies website http://www.smarttech.com/downloads

Regards,

Ian Berg 

Technical Support

SMART Technologies

Contact Support:  http://www.smarttech.com/contactsupport

Connect with SMART http://smarttech.com/tcea

• Proposed as answer by JenLL Sunday, September 09, 2012 4:04 AM
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 2:23 PM
  • This is little left field, but I'm having a very similar problem in Word 2003. The problem has a few old mentions (2008-09) in various threads, but without any solution being found. I've documented the problem and the things I've tried at: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2003-word/endnote-pane-in-word-has-become-almost/acdd5d35-992a-46c4-9d32-10a433b242ad I've also tried complete uninstalls, but no joy yet. And I have no addins, unless you count printers. But there's been nothing new among the printers for several months. Any suggestions would be most welcome -- probably best to reply to the above thread. How do I insert new lines into this post. They just disappear on submitting! Thanks John Davidson
    Saturday, August 06, 2011 4:20 AM
  • Looking at the Powerpoint problem and solution, I started uninstalling recent installations, and I've discovered what was causing the problem. The new WinZip Self-Extractor. Uninstalling it made Word's endnote problem go away. On reinstalling and running a self-extractor the problem has not returned, but it was uninstalling it that definitely cured the problem. John Davidson
    Saturday, August 06, 2011 5:08 AM
  • Ian,

We have upgraded to 10.8 (thanks for changing the location of the files on the hard drive again :P - have to reset all our network shortcuts ).

With that, though, we are still experience the issues with the Ink Aware causing problems in Office 2010 (especially PowerPoint).  The pens don't write well, cursors don't stay in place, and when scrolling through the slide sorter, the scroll won't stay in place but keeps jumping back to the selected slide.

Un-enabling InkAware makes these issues go away.

Any advice or is this still an issue being addressed by SMART.

thanks,

Joe

• Edited by WestyJoe Friday, October 07, 2011 2:09 PM
    Friday, October 07, 2011 2:09 PM
  •  

WestyJoe,

I presume you are using the 32 bit version of Microsoft Office 2010.  Unexpected behavior is known to occur with the 64 bit version of Microsoft Office 2010 and at this time is not officially supported by SMART Ink Aware.

SMART Product Drivers 10.8 means SMART Ink Aware is now plugin-based. The files are located here: C:\Program Files\SMART Technologies\Education Software\AwarePlugin

A tip: start the Microsoft PowerPoint presentation in Normal view when SMART Ink Aware is enabled.

Ian Berg

Ian,

We have upgraded to 10.8 (thanks for changing the location of the files on the hard drive again :P - have to reset all our network shortcuts ).

With that, though, we are still experience the issues with the Ink Aware causing problems in Office 2010 (especially PowerPoint).  The pens don't write well, cursors don't stay in place, and when scrolling through the slide sorter, the scroll won't stay in place but keeps jumping back to the selected slide.

Un-enabling InkAware makes these issues go away.

Any advice or is this still an issue being addressed by SMART.

thanks,

Joe

• Edited by Ian Berg Monday, October 24, 2011 4:11 PM
    Monday, October 24, 2011 4:08 PM
  • Thank you!!!  I've been going back and forth between "normal" and "notes page" view b/c I could only add notes to my training ppt in "notes page" view.  I was taking FOREVER to complete the ppt.  You saved me so much time. :)
    Sunday, September 09, 2012 4:04 AM