none
Outlook 2010 Bouncing Back Messages

Question

• We have a customer scenario with Outlook 2010 where the individual is not using Exchange.  Instead, they have their contacts stored in their default Personal PST and are connected to Gmail within Outlook via IMAP.  They also have a Hotmail account that is connected via the Hotmail connector within Outlook.

They are using "CompanionLink for Outlook" to sync their Outlook contacts with Google, which in turn syncs with their Android phone.  Sometimes, a contact's email addresses may get moved from Email field 1 to Email field 2 or Email field 3.

Every once in a while when trying to send from Gmail, a message will come back from "System Administrator" into the Inbox of the Gmail account.  The subject line contains "Undeliverable: " plus the original subject.

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.
          Subject:    This is my subject
          Sent: 5/11/2012 11:42 AM
    The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:
          recipient1@xyz.com on
                The recipient has been deleted or has no e-mail address.
          recipient2@xyz.com on
                The recipient has been deleted or has no e-mail address.

One problem is that this message is very vague.  If there are a lot of recipients, we have no idea which ones did not receive the message.

Second, the failure usually seems related to the contact whose email address has been moved from Email field 1 to either Email field 2 or Email field 3.  Should it matter which field contains the email address?

Third, sometimes, the email address of the failed contact is indeed in Email field 1.  But the failure message comes back into the Hotmail Inbox!  This makes no sense as the original message was sent via the Gmail account.

What seems to help is if we edit or recreate the contact and their email address.

This scenario did not occur until the user upgraded from Outlook 2007 to 2010.  One guess is that it may have something to do with the new way 2010 auto completes its email addresses versus previous versions of Outlook which used NK2 files.

Please help!

Monday, May 14, 2012 4:38 PM

Answers

• If you manually type the email address into “To” box, do you still receive the NDRs from “system administor”.

To find your NK2 file on your machine, and then perform the following steps:

1. Type “Outlook.exe /cleanautocompletecache” in the Windows search bar and press Enter.
    2. Make sure that the .nk2 file is in the following folder: %appdata%\Microsoft\Outlook (Win7)
    3. Same way to import the NK2 with the command “outlook.exe /importnk2”

Let me know if the issue will be gone. Feel free to post back.

Tony Chen

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 8:11 AM

All replies

• If you manually type the email address into “To” box, do you still receive the NDRs from “system administor”.

To find your NK2 file on your machine, and then perform the following steps:

1. Type “Outlook.exe /cleanautocompletecache” in the Windows search bar and press Enter.
    2. Make sure that the .nk2 file is in the following folder: %appdata%\Microsoft\Outlook (Win7)
    3. Same way to import the NK2 with the command “outlook.exe /importnk2”

Let me know if the issue will be gone. Feel free to post back.

Tony Chen

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 8:11 AM
  • check this link this may help

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/151754-is-there-a-know-issue-with-outlook-2010-were-email-bounce-back-error-550

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 12:35 PM
  • Tony, when I manully type in the addresses that I have had the problems with it auto-completes, and the address appears to be good.

I do have an old NK2 file in that folder - it's dated 7/7/11.

A couple of questions:

1. Does Outlook 2010 still use the old NK2 file as a reference when looking up contacts?  The date hasn't changed from when I last updated from Outlook 2007.

2. What does the "cleanautocompletecache" do?  Will it delete all the entries that I have for auto complete?  Or does it just "repair" the file?

Thursday, May 24, 2012 4:48 PM
  • 1. In Outlook 2010, the address names of auto-complete is stored in Autocomplete Stream under the path %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\RoamCache.
    2. "cleanautocompletecache" will clean all the entries of auto-complete.

More reference: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff625288.aspx

Tony Chen

Monday, May 28, 2012 2:33 AM