none
Microsoft Equation Editor

Question

• The newer microsoft equation editor in word 2007, is now in Excel 2010, Powerpoint 2010 and Visio 2010.

Is this equation editor going to make its way into Visio, it is sometimes good to have an equation within a diagram. A third party program has to be used such as mathtype to get an equation into this or Microsoft Equation Editor 3.0.

When different equation editors are used there is inconsistancies in the fonts and style of the equations. Now I know peole will say just to use mathtype for all which I am doing, I just wondered if Visio 2010 would get the newer equation editor and why the beta of it doesn't.

Note it also will not allow copying and pasting of the word 2007/2010 equations into Visio 2007/2010. Surely if this is a suite it should be compatible across all the programs.

Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:00 PM

All replies

• the short answer is that word and excel are part of the office 'suite', visio is a separate product in the office 'family'. If you did not see an equation editor in the v2010 beta it probably will not be in the product release.

al

Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:25 PM
  • Yeah I figured as much... using two different words to justify inconsistancies. However it should be a useful feature and should be easy for them to implement if they have already put it into word, excel and powerpoint. Guess I am just a little disappointed, thanks for the response anyway.

The equation editor has 1 or 2 flaws the most annoying ones being unable to use it in Visio and fractions in equations shrinking when placed beside regular text,

I will probably use mathtype until they are corrected. I just got a bit used to it since I got office 2007 and know alot of shortcut keys in it.

Thursday, April 15, 2010 7:39 PM
  • What you can do, since you are worried about different typesetting, is to use the word equation tool, then copy-paste that equation into Visio as an enhanced metafile. Since the equation in visio are not inline (even with the old equation editor), you are at least gaining the font and relative spacing within the equation.
    Saturday, May 31, 2014 5:45 PM