none
Word 2010: large file size sent to the printer

Question

• Hello,

With Word 2010, a document containing a picture quickly takes a large size when I print it. Specifically, I have a 15-page document with several screenshots to a file size of 1.3 Mo When printed, the file sends a file of 257Mo to the printer!

I thought of a resolution issue but in the options of Word 2010, I worked well with the default resolution of 220ppp

So I went to resolution of 96dpi but it did not change the file size sent to the printer, even having asked that the images will also be compressed to the resolution.

This problem occurs regardless of the OS (XP, Vista or W7).

If I convert this document docx to doc (compatibility 2007-2003), the file sent to the printer takes a normal size of 6MB.

Do you have an idea of the problem?

Monday, February 14, 2011 3:25 PM

Answers

• I found a workaround for the problem
    In the printer options, you have to uncheck the option "enable advanced printing features". It appears that the EMF spool file generated by Word 2010 can become very large as soon as images are inserted in the document. By unchecking this option, it is a RAW file (smaller) that is sent to the printer.

It should be noted that the problem doesn't present with Word 2007 or 2003 !!

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, February 17, 2011 1:47 AM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:58 PM

All replies

• I found a workaround for the problem
    In the printer options, you have to uncheck the option "enable advanced printing features". It appears that the EMF spool file generated by Word 2010 can become very large as soon as images are inserted in the document. By unchecking this option, it is a RAW file (smaller) that is sent to the printer.

It should be noted that the problem doesn't present with Word 2007 or 2003 !!

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, February 17, 2011 1:47 AM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:58 PM
  • Hello,

I have the same problem but i can’t find this option ware exactly is it.

Friday, February 18, 2011 12:52 PM
  • Hello,

This option is found in the properties of your printer on the tab "Advanced".

Monday, February 28, 2011 12:30 PM