none
Attach Word Doc to Email, attachment extension is .docx.docx

Question

• We just recently upgraded to OFFICE 2010 and were looking at some of its new features. One we were testing was the send and save. We are currently running Lotus Notes 8.5 as our Mail Application.

When you click Save and Send and send as attachment, it attaches the current document to a new memo. But the attachment name in the email is ~WRD000.docx.docx.

It put the .docx twice. I tried this in excel and powerpoint and both of them add the attachment correctly only one extension. So it only does this for word.

Is this a word issue? How do I fix, if it is?

Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• Which (sub-)version of Lotus Notes do you use? There is a fix that could be relevant to your issue:

https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21397140

Friday, August 19, 2011 1:23 PM
  • Can you check, under your folder options -> view -> hide extension for known file types.

Do you tick this option ? If you tick this, you should not see any ".docx" extension on your local drive.
    Because most likely when you save this file, you already named it as "abc.docx" and just that when it is on your local drive and you already choose to hide the file extension. So, you are not aware abt the duplication of ".docx"

Btw, this is just some checking and hope it helps..

Cheers :)

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 6:55 AM
  • Hi

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, We were unable to reproduce the behavior you are describing.

There is one thing needs to be sure if all of the word documents  will be attached as ****.docx.docx after Send as attachment.

If it occurs with Individual documents, I would suggest to create the documents again.

If it occurs with all the documents, I would suggest to attempt the following methods to fix it:

Methods A:

Start Word with safe mode. Open a document, then try the Send as attachment functionality.

If the issue not occur, it might be related to some third-party add-ins in the Office program, we can try to disable them. Normally, you could do the following to disable the conflict add-ins in your Office program:

Disable add-ins

1. Click File menu, click OptionsAdd-in, click Go button in the Manage: Com-in Add.
    1. Check if there are any add-ins, clear the checkbox to disable them.
    2. Close the Office program and restart it.
    1. Add one check back each time to the list of Add-In, restart the Office program, and repeat the above procedure. Once the issue reappears again, we can determine which add-in causes this problem and then disable it.

Method B:

Close the Save Auto Recover functionality:

Click File>Options>Save, uncheck a Save AutoRecover information every box.

Restart Word, try again.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely

Rex Zhang

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 9:46 AM
  • Alexander Your post was help full, another great reason why I am glad our company uses Lotus Notes.

lyongs, not a folder options issue, the problem didn't occur until after it became an attachment in an email and it only happened for word.

Rex, yes it happens for all documents not just one particular and after furthering testing it didin't do it with just .docx files it does with preexisting .doc files.

I booted into word with /a parameter and it does the same thing.

Based on the link Alexander sent, I am pretty sure it is a Lotus Notes problem, we are running 8.5 and it says the fix is in 8.5.2, so I will have to wait for company to upgrade before I find out if it really fixes the issue.

Thanks for all the posts.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 7:38 PM
  • I see that it has been awhile since anyone posted on this problem. I wonder if anyone figured out the solution yet.

We also have a user who is having this problem. We do not use Lotus Notes so that is not the problem. We are using MS Office 2010 Standard edition. Word is set to save in .doc format by default. When it adds the second extension it is adding .docx extension. It does not happen 100% of the time and she realizes it did it when she tries to send the document as an attachment in Outlook and the person then notifies her that there was no attachment. This does not happen all the time so that is making it harder to figure out what is causing the problem.

The setup on the computer is Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, and MS Office 2010 Standard 32 bit. I do have the MS Mathmatics add-on for Word installed.

Thank you,

Sue

Friday, December 16, 2011 5:19 PM
  • I am able to reproduce the problem with my Word Addin. What i found is that this problem happens to any word document if the file name extension have capital letters. Lets say test.DOCX, if you open this document and do send as attachment then Word 2010 adds docx extension to it.

like test.DOCX.docx

If the file extension is in lower case then the problem does not exists,It is word 2010 Problem.Right now we are working around this by renaming extension to lower case.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 7:15 PM
  • Sorry about the delay but we are a school and were closed for the holidays.

I was able to reproduce the problem on my computer if I had known file extensions not showing and I put the .doc or .docx at the end of the filename when saving the document and then trying to send it as an attachment in Word. It did not matter whether it was upper or lower case.

Unfortunately, this is not the same problem my user is having. On her computer I have show extensions on and she never sends the document by using Send in Word. She always closes the document and then in Outlook she starts a new email and attaches the document. It does not always do the double extension but it does do it about 10% of the time and she does not realize it until she hears from people that they can't open the attached document so then she right clicks on the document, chooses rename and removes the extra extension and then attaches and sends it in email again.

Thank you,

Sue

Sue
    Monday, January 02, 2012 6:58 PM
  • We just upgraded to version 8.5.3 and after upgrading the issue has been resolved. So upgrading fixed the issue.
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:41 PM