none
Completely remove all Office Products - FixIt not working

Question

• I try to reinstall Office 2010 Pro Plus with Service Pack 1 on a Windows 7 SP1 64-bit machine. When the default install is selected I get the message:

"Setup has detected legacy Groove or Microsoft Groove Server software on this system. You must uninstall all legacy Groove and Microsoft Groove Server software before installing or upgrading to Microsoft SharePoint Workspace. For more information, see your Microsoft SharePoint Workspace administrator."

I Have tried a custom install with only Microsoft OneNote selected to install but setup runs for a while then displays the error

"Microsoft Office Profession Plus 2010 encountered an error during setup."

I do have other Office products showing as installed in the add remove programs listing. (Microsoft Visio Professional 2010, Microsoft Office 2003 Web Components, Microsoft Office File Validation Add-In).

I have run the Microsoft automated FixIts with no success. I believe that I will be able to re-install if I remove all traces of Office from my machine. I desperately do not want to re-install Windows.

Friday, November 04, 2011 4:49 PM

Answers

• Marked as answer by LastResorted2 Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:48 PM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 1:22 AM
  • Rex,

You fixed it. I had to be a little creative however.

1. Applied the FixIt you mentioned here: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

a. Chose "Detect problems and let me select the fixes to apply"

b. First selected that I was having a problem Installing a program, but Office 2010 pro was not listed. Cancelled the FixIt.

c. Ran FixIt again and selected that I was having a problem Uninstalling a program.

d. Went through a time consuming loop of manually running the FixIt and selecting an Office related program to uninstall, then attempting the full install of Office Pro 2010. Every time I received the same "Setup has detected legacy Groove or Microsoft Groove Server..." error. I did this for Shared Office Components, Visio 2010, Office Web Components, and any other Office product that wouldn't uninstall through appwiz.cpl.

2. Finally decided to try the solution from your second post again thinking that maybe although the FixIt didn't set me up for a default install I might be able to do a custom install without the sharepoint features. Just to be safe I selected only OneNote for installation. I accepted the included components that I was prompted to accept during the install and was quite surprised to see that OneNote 2010 installed and was working.

3. Then ran the installer again and selected a full install. It ran and I now have full Office Pro 2010.

Thank you for your help Rex.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, please try renaming the ‘Microsoft Help’ folder and then install Office.

Follow the steps given below to rename the Microsoft Help Folder:

1. Click on Start > All Programs > Accessories > Run > Type %Programdata% and Click OK

2. Rename the 'Microsoft Help' folder as 'Microsoft Help. OLD'

Now try installing Office and check if it works.

If the issue persist, we can have a troubleshooting with installation log refers to:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/odsupport/archive/2010/12/30/troubleshooting-office-installation-failures.aspx

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely

Rex Zhang

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Monday, November 07, 2011 8:04 AM
  • Rex,

I renamed the 'Microsoft Help' folder to 'Microsoft Help.OLD' but I still get the "Setup has detected legacy Groove or Microsoft Groove Server ..." error when I try to install Office.

The issue persists. I would like to troubleshoot.

I have enabled verbose logging as decribed in your post. Here is the result after attempting a default install of Office 2010 Pro:

---------------------

PERF: TickCount=510843416 Name=OBootStrapper::Run Description=Begin function
    Operating System version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1. Platform ID: 2
    Running 64-bit setup on a 64-bit operating system.
    Command line: "C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\setup.exe"
    No command line arguments given
    Verify file signature in "C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\setup.exe"
    C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\setup.exe is trusted.
    Verify file signature in "C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\ProPlusr.WW\OSETUP.DLL"
    C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\ProPlusr.WW\OSETUP.DLL is trusted.
    Using setup controller dll at [C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\ProPlusr.WW\OSETUP.DLL].
    PERF: TickCount=510843510 Name=OBootStrapper::Run Description=Calling RunSetup

PERF: TickCount=510843510 Name=RunSetup Description=Begin function
    Catalyst execution began: 11/09/2011 13:37:03.
    Setupexe Resiliency Mode is set to [PerformIfApplicable]; thus Resiliency is [disabled] for the [InstallExecutionMode]
    Searching for updated versions of resource files under the 'updates' folder [C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\updates].
    Found [0] resource files under the update folder.
    Searching for default versions of resource files under the folder [C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy].
    Found [1] resource files under the default folder.
    Running in [InstallExecutionMode]. Run from TEMP folder at [C:\Users\OLIPHA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\Setup00001bf8].
    Loaded resource file [C:\Users\OLIPHA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\Setup00001bf8\OSETUPUI.DLL] (CultureTag=en-US).
    Loaded Dll : C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\ProPlusr.WW\OSETUP.DLL.
    Catalyst version is : 14.0.4755.1000
    JobExecutionMode is InstallExecutionMode.
    Check if Office is supported on Windows 6.1.7601
    Checking if CLSID_DOMDocument60 can be created.
    Checking the version of MSXML6.
    MSXML version check passed. Minimum required version is [6.10.1129], installed Version is [6.30.7601.17514].
    LIS: start parsing setup xml
    LIS: finished parsing LIS package "{90140000-0117-0409-1000-0000000FF1CE}"
    LIS: finished parsing LIS package "{90140000-0016-0409-1000-0000000FF1CE}"
    LIS: finished parsing LIS package "{90140000-00BA-0409-1000-0000000FF1CE}"
    LIS: finished parsing LIS package "{90140000-0044-0409-1000-0000000FF1CE}"
    LIS: finished parsing LIS package "{90140000-0115-0409-1000-0000000FF1CE}"
    LIS: finished parsing LIS package "{90140000-0043-0409-1000-0000000FF1CE}"
    LIS: finished parsing LIS package "{90140000-00A1-0409-1000-0000000FF1CE}"
    LIS: finished parsing LIS package "{90140000-001A-0409-1000-0000000FF1CE}"
    LIS: finished parsing LIS package "{90140000-0018-0409-1000-0000000FF1CE}"
    LIS: finished parsing LIS package "{90140000-002C-0409-1000-0000000FF1CE}"
    LIS: finished parsing LIS package "{91140000-0011-0000-1000-0000000FF1CE}"
    LIS: finished parsing LIS package "{90140000-0019-0409-1000-0000000FF1CE}"
    LIS: finished parsing LIS package "{90140000-001B-0409-1000-0000000FF1CE}"
    Product: PROPLUSR
      AddOnGroup Culture: en-us
        AddOnId: WORD.EN-US
        AddOnId: OFFICE.EN-US
        AddOnId: PUBLISHER.EN-US
        AddOnId: OFFICE32.EN-US
        AddOnId: ACCESS.EN-US
        AddOnId: INFOPATH.EN-US
        AddOnId: ONENOTE.EN-US
        AddOnId: PROOFING.EN-US
        AddOnId: OUTLOOK.EN-US
        AddOnId: GROOVE.EN-US
        AddOnId: EXCEL.EN-US
        AddOnId: POWERPOINT.EN-US
    No upgradable applications found
    Parsing config.xml at: C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\ProPlusr.WW\config.xml
    Preferred product specified in config.xml to be: PROPLUSR
    Logging type standard specified in config.xml.
    Log directory: C:\Users\OLIPHA~1\AppData\Local\Temp specified in config.xml
    Log file template: Microsoft Office Professional Plus Setup(*).txt specified in config.xml
    Product Deployment Mode: PerMachineManaged
    Target Deployment Account Security Identifier: S-1-5-18
    Loading package metadata: C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\Office.en-us\OfficeMUI.xml
    Loading package metadata: C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\Office.en-us\OfficeMUISet.xml
    Loading package metadata: C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\PowerPoint.en-us\PowerPointMUI.xml
    Loading package metadata: C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\Excel.en-us\ExcelMUI.xml
    Loading package metadata: C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\Groove.en-us\GrooveMUI.xml
    Loading package metadata: C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\Outlook.en-us\OutlookMUI.xml
    Loading package metadata: C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\Proofing.en-us\Proof.es\Proof.xml
    Loading package metadata: C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\Proofing.en-us\Proof.fr\Proof.xml
    Loading package metadata: C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\Proofing.en-us\Proof.en\Proof.xml
    Loading package metadata: C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\Proofing.en-us\Proofing.xml
    Loading package metadata: C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\OneNote.en-us\OneNoteMUI.xml
    Loading package metadata: C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\InfoPath.en-us\InfoPathMUI.xml
    Loading package metadata: C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\Access.en-us\Access.en-us\AccessMUI.xml
    Loading package metadata: C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\Access.en-us\AccessMUISet.xml
    Loading package metadata: C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\Office32.en-us\Office32MUI.xml
    Loading package metadata: C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\Publisher.en-us\PublisherMUI.xml
    Loading package metadata: C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\Word.en-us\WordMUI.xml
    Loading package metadata: C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\ProPlusr.WW\ProPlusrWW.xml
    Loading package metadata: C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPCF8D.tmp - Copy\ProPlusr.WW\Office32WW.xml
    Reading value of unintialized setting!
    BRANDING: Parsing Branding Data...
    Catalyst detected legacy Groove client products installed on the machine
    Showing message Title: 'Setup Warning', Message: 'Setup has detected legacy Groove or Microsoft Groove Server software on this system. You must uninstall all legacy Groove and Microsoft Groove Server software before installing or upgrading to Microsoft SharePoint Workspace. For more information, see your Microsoft SharePoint Workspace administrator.'
    Message returned: 1
    User attempting to cancel setup.  Confirming...
    Showing message Title: 'Setup', Message: 'Are you sure you want to cancel setup?'
    Message returned: 6
    User canceled setup.
    Showing completion dialog.
    Reboot requested if needed.
    No reboot is needed.
    Catalyst execution finished: 11/09/2011 13:46:25.  Return code: 1602.
    PERF: TickCount=511404879 Name=RunSetup Description=End function

---------------------

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 9:53 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

We would suggest you can try this:

1. Perform a Customized installation with the SharePoint Workspace product set to not install.

2. If the installation run successfully, then run the installer again and select the option to Add/Remove applications from Office. Change the option for SharePoint Workspace to install to disk.

Hopefully this helps.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:13 AM
  • Rex,

From my first post

----

I Have tried a custom install with only Microsoft OneNote selected to install but setup runs for a while then displays the error

"Microsoft Office Profession Plus 2010 encountered an error during setup."

----

I tried again with all of the default options selected for install minus the SharePoint Workspace and got the same error.

Thank you for the response.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 4:26 PM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 1:22 AM
  • Hi,

Please inform the result. Thanks.

Best regards.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 3:48 AM
  • Rex,

You fixed it. I had to be a little creative however.

1. Applied the FixIt you mentioned here: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

a. Chose "Detect problems and let me select the fixes to apply"

b. First selected that I was having a problem Installing a program, but Office 2010 pro was not listed. Cancelled the FixIt.

c. Ran FixIt again and selected that I was having a problem Uninstalling a program.

d. Went through a time consuming loop of manually running the FixIt and selecting an Office related program to uninstall, then attempting the full install of Office Pro 2010. Every time I received the same "Setup has detected legacy Groove or Microsoft Groove Server..." error. I did this for Shared Office Components, Visio 2010, Office Web Components, and any other Office product that wouldn't uninstall through appwiz.cpl.

2. Finally decided to try the solution from your second post again thinking that maybe although the FixIt didn't set me up for a default install I might be able to do a custom install without the sharepoint features. Just to be safe I selected only OneNote for installation. I accepted the included components that I was prompted to accept during the install and was quite surprised to see that OneNote 2010 installed and was working.

3. Then ran the installer again and selected a full install. It ran and I now have full Office Pro 2010.

Thank you for your help Rex.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:48 PM