none
Outlook 2013 Not Automatically Sending

Question

• I've read the suggestions to deal with the issue of Outlook 2013 not sending automatically but sending just fine when pressing F9--that is until one of the (Microsoft) engineers told me to disable "Include group in Send/Receive". In that case, nothing got sent no matter what I clicked.

So this was working. It's not now. I have rebuilt the accounts (several times) and it still fails. I'm about done with Outlook after having used it since it first appeared decades ago. If it does not know how to manage a simple IMAP GMAIL account then why bother with it? 

William Vaughn's blog

“Hitchhiker’s Guide to Visual Studio and SQL Server (7th Edition)”

“The Owl Wrangler” a fantasy fiction novel

Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

Thursday, May 09, 2013 10:18 PM

All replies

• A little confused about what exactly the original problem/question was/is and what exactly you are referencing related to the problem

Automatic sending is governed by the option "Schedule an automatic send/receive every <??> minutes". Set that option "too low" and things can go strange. Unfortunately, you don't mention what (if any) Outlook addins are installed that may have an impact particularly in terms of an integrated A/V option.

In terms of nothing working when you press F9, that's also a tad unclear. If you unchecked the option then nothing will be included - you don't explicitly mention whether you re-checked that option again to re-enable the F9 option. Not sure why someone would suggest unchecking that option for auto send receive.

By re-built the accounts - do you mean that you created a new Outlook profile? Did you confirm that the Send/Receive options were set accordingly?

Lastly, have you verified that all email accounts are included in the <All Accounts> group (assuming that you only have one group configured) by clicking on <Edit> for that group?

Friday, May 10, 2013 5:12 AM
  • I started from scratch (again) and it's working.

This is very frustrating. Something is disabling auto-send.

So, as far as the canned advice the forum members have been giving, unchecking ""Include group in Send/Receive" is simply bad advice. This makes the problem worse.

I had the "Schedule an automatic..." set to 3 minutes. I've used that setting for decades without issue.

AFA addins, I had disabled all of them and the problem persisted. Are you saying that some addins are faulty? I know that a number of other posters were able to get it to work after disabling addins. I have subsequently reenabled Kaspersky and gSyncit.

By "rebuild the account", I mean going into the control panel and deleting the profile, going into outlook and deleting the account and rebuilding both from scratch.

I have not split the accounts (there are several) into separate send/receive groups.

I'm holding my breath that this continues to work. As I said, I has been working but something tripped it up and prevented Outlook from automatically sending mail. I'll try to pay more attention to the changes in the system.

Incidentally, I have a backup mail system that works fine. It's on Windows 7. This system is Windows 8--something I have regretted doing from the day I (had to) install it.

William Vaughn's blog

Friday, May 10, 2013 4:10 PM
  • #1 - If you have a valid up-to-date A/V program installed on your system, there is no benefit/need to have it integrated with Outlook. Integrated A/V addins are known to generally cause problems.

#2 - As for "are you saying that some addins are faulty?" In a perfect world everything would be flawless but addins are just like any other program which may or may not have a problem. Sort of equivalent to "are you saying that some programs have bugs?" They all do but not necessarily one that has any impact on you or that you may ever notice.

#3 - Not familiar with gSyncIt or what kind of schedule (if any) it operates on but certainly something worth watching. If your problem re-appears, disabling your addins and keeping them disabled would be the approach to take since you are otherwise never going to know what the source of the problem is other than "Outlook ends up not working as expected" which may or may not have anything to do with Outlook (I have Outlook running on several Win8 systems with absolutely no issues against all kinds of different email account types).

#3 - Not clear what you meant by (1) "delete the profile" (2) going into Outlook and deleting the account (3) rebuilding both from scratch. Accounts are added to a profile so a little strange that you could access an account after deleting the profile which contained it.

#4 - On a non-Outlook note regarding Win8 in general - must admit wasn't a fan until I installed a good replacement Start menu (lots to choose from - both free and paid) but once that was done, prefer Win8 over Win7 for everyday general use. Find it a much faster/better OS. Using a full "Touch Mouse" also goes a long way to making things easier getting used to the native Win8 metro interface in a non-touch desktop environment. Personal opinion is that the folks at MS were a tad over-zealous in terms of introducing that degree of change to the desktop and have paid/are paying the price for that decision. However, there are many that would disagree with me about Win8 - one of those topics where there will never be a consensus similar to the "Which is better - Apple or MS?"

Friday, May 10, 2013 5:12 PM
  • Thanks for the insights. I've been up to my hips in the PC business from the beginning (since '78). After 14 years, I retired from Microsoft in 2000 and from my tech career in 2010 so I know how software works or doesn't. The addins I was referring to were those from Microsoft. I'm just not happy with inconsistent behavior--especially not with MS software.

So you don't think I need the Kaspersky AV addin? It's caught several (nasty) virus-laden messages sent by my 'fans'.

I'm getting used to Windows 8, but so many things just work "differently" (too many IMHO). So what's a "touch" mouse? I have a touch-screen laptop but I rarely touch the screen. I hear they're updating the UI for Blue and possibly for the current version as well to add back some of the functionality. What really gets me are these take-over-the-whole-screen apps with no minimize buttons. Seriously? Kids, they keep wanting to reinvent the wheel.

As a former MVP (Data Architectures), I appreciate your time and answers. Thanks again.

William Vaughn's blog

Friday, May 10, 2013 5:22 PM
  • #1 - Re: integrated A/V - any system A/V would catch any attachment you open from within a message and really no purpose to scanning everything outbound since any good A/V would equally catch an infected file you plan to attach. Scan this and other forums and you'll find a litany of issues related to integrated A/V and can attest to encountering senseless aggravation with some integrated A/V's causing endless performance issues when our products are used. Remove the integrated A/V and the world returns to normal.

#2 - Touch mouse essentially lets you simulate the gestures (i.e one & two finger scrolling as a for instance) you would use on the touch screen which likely would be equally true on your computer's touch pad. Personally would suggest a slower transition by using a replacement Start menu which should lessen the pain a whole lot right off the bat.

Two such options (among very many if you do a google search) are

Start8 (paid) - http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Start Menu 8 (free) - http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php

*** by no means suggesting either of the above are the best - simply ones I'm using and happy with

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP] Outlook Contact Import/Export/Data Mgmt" http://www.contactgenie.com

Friday, May 10, 2013 5:45 PM
  • Hi, 

I am not as computer savvy as you two gentlemen so i have to ask what exactly did you do to make this work?

I have 2 weeks old Win 8 with Office 2013 where Outlook simply declines to automatically send/receive. I re installed my profile, still nothing. The field in front of  auto send/receive option "un-clicks" itself, randomly. 

My IT person looked at my PC and couldn't find anything (no add-on's that may bother outlook, except maybe Webex productivity). 

Is your still working? If so, what is the magic?

Thanks!

Ellen

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 5:29 PM
  • Ellen, 

I did a number of things including removing the offending account, restarting outlook and then reinstalling it. I also systematically disabled the various COM addins that had attached themselves to Outlook like so many remora. 

I do not have a specially-defined send-receive group but have the default group set to send/receive every 3 minutes--but not when exiting.

I hope this helps. 

William Vaughn's blog

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 5:42 PM
  • Thank you! I did similar "clean up" and i hope it will work!
    • Edited by Ellen Simich Monday, July 15, 2013 4:59 PM spelling
    Monday, July 15, 2013 4:58 PM
  • Hi Ellen,

I too have similar problems.  The "automatic send/receive" option randomly unchecks itself for no apparent reason.  Like William, I have been using this for years but started having this problem only with Outlook 2013 after I upgraded to it recently.

Did a "clean up" actually work for you?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Jee-Meng

Thursday, August 01, 2013 11:21 AM