none
Outlook: Instant search doesnt work properly

Question

• Hi, can anyone help me with the instant search issue of the outlook? The instant search of the Microsoft Outlook is not working. I also have noticed that even the windows search of windows 7 is not properly working. Any suggestions? Thanks,

Thursday, January 05, 2012 4:37 PM

All replies

• What do you mean with not working properly? Can you please elaborate on whats not properly working?

By design/limitations Outlook in an Exchange 2007/2010 environment cannot search Public Folders and does not search Deleted Items, however the later can easilly be changed from without Outlook.

Its a fairly common opinion that Windows Vista/7 builtin search is flawed, I personally use Agent Ransack which is a free for personal use tool that will find it if it is there, but I only use that for files, not emails.

• Edited by Trana010 Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:49 PM
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:48 PM
  • I have found that as well looking for your email manually is more accurate than instant search however when I first started to use Outlook 2010 instant search worked beautifully but doesnt anymore it seems it has its own mind what to search for or not???
    Friday, January 06, 2012 12:21 AM
  • thanks for your response guys. For example i have 20 emails in my inbox with a subject "How to use PST". When i perform an instant search and search for all the emails with the word PST in the subject line, it couldnt find the emails. I also tried to perform an instant search and really used the entire subject "How to use PST" and still it couldnt find the emails. However, i've also experienced wherein i was able to search for some of the emails but not all the emails with a particular word in the subject line. So instead of having 9 emails with a particular word (ex: "board") in the subject line, the result would only show 2.

Friday, January 06, 2012 9:54 AM
  • anyone other suggestions guys? i really need your help on this. thanks. I have already checked the search options and the instant search pane was already selected to "All Folders". Still its not working.

Monday, January 09, 2012 2:02 AM
  • Go to the search tab, under Search Tools check Indexing Status, does it tell you something remains to be indexed?

You are talking about the builtin Search in Outlook right, not the search on the start menu?

Monday, January 09, 2012 5:17 AM
  • Correct, i am referring to the built in Search in Outlook, and in Indexing Status, it says 0 remaining items.
    Monday, January 09, 2012 5:39 AM
  • When all else fails, reinstall Office
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:39 AM