none
How to delete a gMail IMAP message from Outlook 2007

Question

• I apologize in advance on this question. I have tried to "google" it but it is very confusing.

Outlook 2007

multiple POP and a gMail IMAP account in outlook profile.

The gMail messages cannot be deleted. When the "x" on the message is applied, sometimes it gets a line through it. I tried "purge" but that did not work.

Please give a reference as to how to delete gMail messages within Outlook 2007.

Thanks, in advance.

John Lenz

Friday, January 11, 2013 6:49 PM

Answers

• Hello,

With the normal setup, you cannot mark messages deleted in [Gmail]/All Mail (the server ignores it).  To delete them, move them to [Gmail]/Trash.  (But, be careful.  Deleting a message from All Mail deletes it from all labels/folders)

Or, enable the Advanced IMAP Controls lab, disable Auto-expunge, and choose one of the delete options for "when the message is expunged from the last visible folder

Hope this helps

Thanks

Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:03 AM

All replies

• In IMAP if you press delete, your mail crossed out.

You can use menu to hide this mails.

To permanent delete you should use clean command

Oskar Shon, Office System MVP

Press if Helpful; Answer when a problem solved

Saturday, January 12, 2013 5:11 PM
  • Thanks, I'll try tomorrow when I visit the site and let you know progress.

John Lenz

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:46 PM
  • Hello,

Any update? If Oskar's suggestion is helpful, please mark it as answer. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Friday, January 18, 2013 5:11 AM
  • Sorry, I have shuould have updated sooner. My client has the accountant in this week. I'll be there Mon/Tues of next week to try it out. I respond afterwards.

John

John Lenz

Friday, January 18, 2013 5:39 PM
  • Any feedback?

Tony Chen

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:47 AM
  • Scheduled for today, I will let you know.

John Lenz

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 2:53 PM
  • Canceled today, try for tomorrow

John Lenz

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:57 PM
  • I ran into another problem on this client Vista Home Premium 64 bit.

Outlook 2007 ( I verified in Help.About) presents itself like outlook 2003. There is no ribbon bar so I could not find the "clean" command. Also the task bar at the bottom of the desktop looks like WinXP.

Is there some configuration setting that caused this regression to a WinXP desktop feel?

I could use some help on this one.

John Lenz

Friday, January 25, 2013 2:55 PM
  • Go to Edit menu, point to Purge Deleted Messages.

Purge IMAP items marked for deletion in Outlook 2007.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/purge-imap-items-marked-for-deletion-HP010080420.aspx

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:06 AM
  • To hide deleted messages in Outlook 2003:
    select Menu\View\Arrange By -> Current View\Hide Messages Marked for Deletion.

To Pure deleted message you should add new button.
    http://www.ideanode.com/supportdocs/16/how-to-delete-imap-messages-in-outlook

Oskar Shon, Office System MVP

Press if Helpful; Answer when a problem solved

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:21 AM
  • I should be back by Friday of this week to test. I will reply with results

John Lenz

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 9:37 PM
  • Thank you for your update.

Tony Chen

Friday, February 01, 2013 9:31 AM
  • Her is the update. There are 12,000 messages in the gMail account in Outlook. I deleted a message and saw thew strike through. I then went through the Edit->Purge process. I used all three purge options. The message did not delete. In fact, when the synchronization process window finished, the strike through disappeared and the message went back to unread.

There are 2 eMail accounts in this profile. Only one is iMap (gMail).

Any thoughts. I have to cleanup these 12,000 messages.

Thanks for your patience.

John Lenz

Monday, February 04, 2013 8:43 PM
  • I loaded a fresh Outlook 2003 on a win7 client laptop. I accessed the gMail account and have all the 12,000 messages. In the gMail AllMail folder, i deleted one message (line through it) and then purged it. I did not delete and the delete line vanished.

What can I do to delete theses messages?

John Lenz

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 9:43 PM
  • Hello,

With the normal setup, you cannot mark messages deleted in [Gmail]/All Mail (the server ignores it).  To delete them, move them to [Gmail]/Trash.  (But, be careful.  Deleting a message from All Mail deletes it from all labels/folders)

Or, enable the Advanced IMAP Controls lab, disable Auto-expunge, and choose one of the delete options for "when the message is expunged from the last visible folder

Hope this helps

Thanks

Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:03 AM
  • Thanks, I found the trick to go to "Trash" and dleleted the 12,000 messages. Interesting architecture

John Lenz

Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:06 PM