none
Lync 2010 Client username shows up as a different user to others in a conversation

Question

• I have a very strange issue with Lync 2010 clients.  We migrated from Office Comunnicator 2007 R2 to Lync 2010 successfully and this started to happen with some of our clients.  A few users have complained that when another users chats with them, the Lync client window shows a different user, a user that is no longer with the company. For example UserA opens a conversation window with UserB but they see a different username, UserC who is no longer with the company.  Upon further investiagtion I discovered that UserC has been setup as an email alias in UserB's mailbox. I checked the mailbox of UserB and it is properly setup as the primary SMTP email address and SIP address.  We are using exchange 2010 and outlook 2010. Any ideas?

Thanks

Carlos

Friday, April 29, 2011 6:39 PM

Answers

• This is directly from Microsoft Lync support (note that if you have multiple client policies, you'll need to specify the one to update using the -Identity parameter for Get-CsClientPolicy.  Otherwise you'll get an error):

Here is how to set the property:

$PolicyObject = Get-CsClientPolicy

$PolicyEntry = New-CsClientPolicyEntry -Name EnableContactMergeUsingProxyAddress -Value $False

$PolicyObject.PolicyEntry.Add($PolicyEntry)

Set-CsClientPolicy -Instance $PolicyObject

Get-CsClientPolicy

Look for the Property named PolicyEntry with a value of: {Name=EnableContactMergeUsingProxyAddress;Value=False}

Setting it to false will prohibit the client from merging the contact’s email address and ProxyAddress.  It will require the Lync Client to log out and back in to get the new policy once it is set.

• Proposed as answer by Joachim Roness Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Carlos Adam Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:43 PM
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 1:48 PM

All replies

• Check their personal contacts.  We have had an issue with people who had personal contacts using a different name setup with the email of existing employees.  These personal contacts seem to over-ride Exchange as far as Lync display is concerned.
    Wednesday, May 04, 2011 3:29 PM
  • Hi,

Please check if this KB article can fix your problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2489816

Regards,

Sharon

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, May 05, 2011 2:00 AM
  • Hi Sharon,

Thanks for your reply.  That KB article does not apply as we have migrated to Lync Server 2010.  All users have been migrated to the new Lync pool.  This just started to happen when users were upgraded to Lync 2010.

Carlos

Thursday, May 05, 2011 1:42 PM
  • Hi Terence,

Thanks for your reply.  I have checked the users that are experiencing this issue and they do not have the non-existing employee in there personal contacts.

Carlos

Thursday, May 05, 2011 1:55 PM
  • I have this same issue.. First day using Lync 2010 ( Fresh Install not upgraded) I noticed that some of my users had the incorrect name displayed.. and that the name displayed was a previous employee..   I discovered that the reason it was displaying a different name was I had added an Alias in Exchange for a past employee to a current employees user..  Pretty much every user that had an Alias from a past empoyee, Lync would display that past employees name instead of theirs..   This is the only thread i could find that stated the same issue I have had, and I did not find anyone else who related it to the email Alias..   I will search a few more days then will have to call Microsoft about this..  unless anyone else can shed some light on this?
    Friday, July 15, 2011 3:51 PM
  • Any update on the issue? I am having the same problem.

Thanks.

Friday, August 26, 2011 8:39 AM
  • Any Update on this issue. I have noticed it has to do with the SMTP email address or aliases. If we have a user that is no longer in Active Directory we will have the email address assigned to anothers. These are the only users that this seems to be affecting.
    Wednesday, September 07, 2011 8:52 PM
  • Hi,

The only workaround for us was to ask people to check their contacts and delete any old users (former employees' AD accounts). Thus if there was an old contact and his/her email was somebody's else alias - this is the problem. I also deleted these contacts remotely for vips / managers. As predominantly they have aliases and old contacts.

By the way for some reasons this affected Blackberry devices as well. It might be Outlook bug though. Lync 2010 has policy settings to restrict what kind of information can be searched. I tried to exclude aliases but no luck. This is very funny: you have a list of objects (e-mail, name, alias etc.) from 1 to 8. After that you create a number like 11000100 depending which feature you are going to use. Then you need to convert it decimical format and add to you policy.

Thursday, September 08, 2011 7:44 AM
  • I have this same issue.. First day using Lync 2010 ( Fresh Install not upgraded) I noticed that some of my users had the incorrect name displayed.. and that the name displayed was a previous employee..   I discovered that the reason it was displaying a different name was I had added an Alias in Exchange for a past employee to a current employees user..  Pretty much every user that had an Alias from a past empoyee, Lync would display that past employees name instead of theirs..   This is the only thread i could find that stated the same issue I have had, and I did not find anyone else who related it to the email Alias..   I will search a few more days then will have to call Microsoft about this..  unless anyone else can shed some light on this?

I am seeing the alias issue as well.  Any luck?
    Friday, September 23, 2011 4:31 PM
  • We have this same issue in Lync.  I notice it happens every time we use the EMC for Exchange 2010 to forward a mailbox to another user.  The user being forwarded to will appear as the user that is being forwarded to them.  Not sure if that helps, but maybe someone can come up with something based on that.

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 11:56 PM
  • We face the same issue.

Is it a Lync bug or improper configuration?

Best regards Lukasz Chomin CompuTec SA
    Monday, October 24, 2011 8:51 PM
  • This is a Lync bug.  check out http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2498410.  Once the cumulative update is installed, you are supposed to be able to set the EnableContactMergeUsingProxyAddress setting to correct this behavior, but it does not say where to set it.  My Lync guy as MS pointed me to the article.  I pointed out to him that is does not describe how to use the setting and he replied the KB article would be updated with steps for setting it, but after almost a moth I still haven’t seen any.  Not big on the list I guess.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 11:20 PM
  • May have just figgured thisone out. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2628787 describes this property as being set from the Lync Server Management Shell.  I'm still trying to figure out what to set it on.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 11:33 PM
  • Hi Craig.

Did you figure this one out? I can’t see which command to use in the Lync Server Management Shell to change this setting.
    And Microsoft still has not updated the article.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:31 AM
  • Hi all!

I tried to find a solution in Google. No luck.

Out of desperation, I tried to find a solution in bing.com.

Bingo!

Chinese forum contains the answer: http://bbs.winos.cn/viewthread.php?tid=124123

$a = get-csclientpolicy

$b = new-csclientpolicyentry -Name EnableContactMergeUsingProxyAddress -Value $false

$a.PolicyEntry.Add($b)

Set-csClientPolicy –Instance $a

...but the first test failed.

Somebody please confirm that the solution works.

• Edited by FL0od13 Thursday, January 19, 2012 12:42 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 12:28 PM
  • This is directly from Microsoft Lync support (note that if you have multiple client policies, you'll need to specify the one to update using the -Identity parameter for Get-CsClientPolicy.  Otherwise you'll get an error):

Here is how to set the property:

$PolicyObject = Get-CsClientPolicy

$PolicyEntry = New-CsClientPolicyEntry -Name EnableContactMergeUsingProxyAddress -Value $False

$PolicyObject.PolicyEntry.Add($PolicyEntry)

Set-CsClientPolicy -Instance $PolicyObject

Get-CsClientPolicy

Look for the Property named PolicyEntry with a value of: {Name=EnableContactMergeUsingProxyAddress;Value=False}

Setting it to false will prohibit the client from merging the contact’s email address and ProxyAddress.  It will require the Lync Client to log out and back in to get the new policy once it is set.

• Proposed as answer by Joachim Roness Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Carlos Adam Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:43 PM
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 1:48 PM
  • This worked for us also.
    We had to run the Update-CsAddressBook and delete the local addressbook cache to test it.

After a couple of days it was fixed at every client.
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:41 AM
  • I have a problem running:

PS C:\Users\user> $PolicyObject = Get-CsClientPolicy
    PS C:\Users\user>
    PS C:\Users\kuser> $PolicyEntry = New-CsClientPolicyEntry -Name EnableConta
    ctMergeUsingProxyAddress -Value $False
    PS C:\Users\user> $PolicyObject.PolicyEntry.Add($PolicyEntry)
    PS C:\Users\user> Set-CsClientPolicy -Instance $PolicyObject
    Set-CsClientPolicy : There is a duplicate key sequence 'ENABLECONTACTMERGEUSING
    PROXYADDRESS' for the 'urn:schema:Microsoft.Rtc.Management.Policy.Client.2008:U
    niquePolicyEntryName' key or unique identity constraint.
    At line:1 char:19
    + Set-CsClientPolicy <<<<  -Instance $PolicyObject
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (Global:String) [Set-CsClientPolicy
       ], XmlSchemaValidationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidData,Microsoft.Rtc.Management.Internal.Se
       tClientPolicyCmdlet

• Edited by L_k_k Friday, February 17, 2012 10:58 AM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 10:47 AM
  • Can anyone help?
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:59 AM
  • Looks like the brackets are wrong use the below and see article.

To Add

$PolicyEntry1 = New-CsClientPolicyEntry -Name EnableContactMergeUsingProxyAddress -Value $False

Set-CsClientPolicy –Identity global –PolicyEntry @{Add=$PolicyEntry1}

If you are adding multiple or changing the value use this.

$PolicyEntry1 = New-CsClientPolicyEntry -Name EnableDiagnosticsLogsCollection -Value 1
    $PolicyEntry2 = New-CsClientPolicyEntry -Name EnableContactMergeUsingProxyAddress -Value $False

Set-CsClientPolicy –Identity global –PolicyEntry @{Replace=$PolicyEntry1,$PolicyEntry2}

http://blogs.technet.com/b/csps/archive/2011/07/25/haiku159.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Josephca5 Friday, April 27, 2012 4:23 PM
    Friday, April 27, 2012 4:22 PM
  • FL0od13, thru the Chinese link you post I follow it and download it the patch for Lync and resolved my problem of "A user name is still in Lync 2010 after you remove the user account in AD" 

Here is the link to download it and install it.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2701664

Now I see the users correct name in the Lync contacts.

Thanks FL0od13

• Proposed as answer by El_enigma Tuesday, June 19, 2012 3:01 PM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 3:01 PM