none
After installing Office 2013, when performing a Windows Search, any Outlook results will not open when you click on them.

Question

• On my Windows 7 laptop, I loaded Office Home and Business 2013. I still have my original Office 2010. The Outlook 2013 version isn’t compatible with my companies Exchange Server, so I need to keep using Outlook 2010. Now when I perform a Windows 7 search of programs and files, the results that are listed under Microsoft Outlook, will not open. Emails show up in my search, but you click on them and nothing happens. I think it may have something to do with the files associated with Outlook 2013 (icon makes me think this), but my default Outlook is 2010. Any suggestions to get emails from a Windows 7 search to open?

Monday, February 18, 2013 9:04 PM

Answers

• I see, this may because Outlook Search through Windows Shell is no longer supported in Office 2013. See Changes in Office 2013.

To workaround this issue, try either of the following:

Method 1. Repair Office 2010 and reboot your computer

Method 2. Uncheck Outlook index from Outlook Options -> Search -> Indexing Options -> Modify, then repair Office 2010 and reboot your computer

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 22, 2013 7:36 AM

All replies

• Right click on the email item, click Choose default program..., and choose Outlook 2010

Max Meng

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:26 AM
  • This doesn't work and does not address the problem.  All the above solution does is to ensure that when an outlook message saved in the file system is clicked it is opened by Outlook 2010.  That's not the problem presented by CD McGee .  The problem is that when you click an outlook file returned using Windows search it will not open.  Nothing happens. It's completely dead.  You can't even right click it.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:29 AM
  • I see, this may because Outlook Search through Windows Shell is no longer supported in Office 2013. See Changes in Office 2013.

To workaround this issue, try either of the following:

Method 1. Repair Office 2010 and reboot your computer

Method 2. Uncheck Outlook index from Outlook Options -> Search -> Indexing Options -> Modify, then repair Office 2010 and reboot your computer

Max Meng

Friday, February 22, 2013 7:36 AM
  • Let me add that installing any Office 2013 product disables support for Search through Windows Shell.  I have avoided Office 2013 for this reason, but had to install Lync 2013 and now Search through Windows Shell is disabled.  All other Office products on my PC are 2010.

Max, can you suggest who I can contact in the Office team to say I would like to have Search through Windows Shell still available with Office 2013?

Thanks,

Robert

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 12:16 PM
  • Users within my company have the same issue as we have pushed out Lync 2013 via SCCM to all workstations. All other office applications are still 2010. 

I just repaired Office 2010 via programs and features and that resolved the issue. 

I'm not sure if the issue will return though. Could it come back in the next office or windows update?

Thanks,

Dwayne

Thursday, March 06, 2014 12:23 AM