none
Errors opening or saving Excel 2007 spreadsheets in Excel 2010; Excel found unreadable content in 'file name'

Question

• After recently installing Office 2010 (32 bit) I am unable to open certain files that worked fine in Office 2007.  I have read a number of suggestions from these forums and nothing has worked.  So far, the problem seems to be associated with files created using the Research Insight (COMPUSTAT) addin.  I have tried disabling the addin, replacing all = signs, changing calculation to manual, etc.  Sometimes I cannot open a file at all.  Other times, the file opens, but Excel crashes as soon as I try to save the file.  I have installed all known updates.  As you might imagine, I already spent hours trying to solve this.  Any help would be appreciated.
    Saturday, September 03, 2011 10:22 PM

Answers

• Hi

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, I would suggest you try to repair the corrupted workbook manually at first.

You can refer to:

1.On the File tab, click Open.

2.In the Open dialog box, select the corrupted workbook that you want to open.

3.Click the arrow next to the Open button, and then click Open and Repair.

4.Do one of the following:

To recover as much of the workbook data as possible, click Repair.

To extract values and formulas from the workbook when an attempt to repair the workbook is not successful, click Extract Data.

More detail from here:

http://office.microsoft.com/client/helppreview14.aspx?AssetId=HA010342840&lcid=1033&NS=EXCEL&Version=14&tl=2&respos=0&CTT=1&queryid=8c2fa0a9%2D14fe%2D45a4%2D85b9%2Dbb020535beca

If not working, please try to work with office save mode to open the workbook refer to:

1.Click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Microsoft Office.

2.Press and hold the CTRL key, and then click the name of the Microsoft Excel 2010.

3.Try to Open your file in Excel safe mode.

If it can be opened, create a new workbook , copy all the data from original file to new workbook. Save the new workbook to see if the issue has been fixed.

More safe mode detail refer here:

http://office.microsoft.com/client/helppreview14.aspx?AssetId=HP010354300&lcid=1033&NS=EXCEL&Version=14&tl=2&respos=0&CTT=1&queryid=e924bae0%2D1a3d%2D421c%2D91cf%2De08be5c74d66

If the error message seems like “Removed Records: PivotTable report from /xl/pivotCache/pivotCacheDefinition1.xml part (PivotTable cache)” after you click yes from “Excel found unreadable content in”, you can try the following article to fix it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929766

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely

Rex Zhang

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, September 07, 2011 5:26 AM

All replies

• Hi

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, I would suggest you try to repair the corrupted workbook manually at first.

You can refer to:

1.On the File tab, click Open.

2.In the Open dialog box, select the corrupted workbook that you want to open.

3.Click the arrow next to the Open button, and then click Open and Repair.

4.Do one of the following:

To recover as much of the workbook data as possible, click Repair.

To extract values and formulas from the workbook when an attempt to repair the workbook is not successful, click Extract Data.

More detail from here:

http://office.microsoft.com/client/helppreview14.aspx?AssetId=HA010342840&lcid=1033&NS=EXCEL&Version=14&tl=2&respos=0&CTT=1&queryid=8c2fa0a9%2D14fe%2D45a4%2D85b9%2Dbb020535beca

If not working, please try to work with office save mode to open the workbook refer to:

1.Click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Microsoft Office.

2.Press and hold the CTRL key, and then click the name of the Microsoft Excel 2010.

3.Try to Open your file in Excel safe mode.

If it can be opened, create a new workbook , copy all the data from original file to new workbook. Save the new workbook to see if the issue has been fixed.

More safe mode detail refer here:

http://office.microsoft.com/client/helppreview14.aspx?AssetId=HP010354300&lcid=1033&NS=EXCEL&Version=14&tl=2&respos=0&CTT=1&queryid=e924bae0%2D1a3d%2D421c%2D91cf%2De08be5c74d66

If the error message seems like “Removed Records: PivotTable report from /xl/pivotCache/pivotCacheDefinition1.xml part (PivotTable cache)” after you click yes from “Excel found unreadable content in”, you can try the following article to fix it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929766

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely

Rex Zhang

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, September 07, 2011 5:26 AM
  • Rex, Thank you for replying.  I have concluded that the software might be incorrectly installed.  MS Word is now locking up.  I am going to try to reinstall the software to see if that corrects the problem.  John Rozycki

John Rozycki
    Wednesday, September 07, 2011 7:42 PM
  • Hi,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. Is the problem resolved? If there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards, 

Rex Zhang

Friday, September 09, 2011 1:53 AM
  • Rex, It is still locking up periodically, in MS Excel, but, unlike bebore, I am usually able to recover and continue working.  There must be some conflict somewhere.  I appreciate your response.  I will continue to monitor the situation and get back to you with a more precise description of the current situation.  Thank you.  John Rozycki
    John Rozycki
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 3:56 PM