none
Can't uninstall Outlook...uninstall not completed

Question

• I have a client with an Outlook 2007 issue (on Windows Vista 32 Service Pack 2).

A quick explanation is that the client WENT TO REMOVE IT BUT IT WOULD NOT LET HIM UN-INSTALL, OUTLOOK, OR OTHER PROGRAMS. THE WINDOW SAID ( MICROSOFT OFFICE OUTLOOK 2007 UNINSTALL DID NOT COMPLETE SUCCESSFULLY. )

The client has MS Office 2007 Home/Student edition installed - Word, Excel & Powerpoint. Separately from the Office Suite he has installed Outlook 2007.  When he went to remove Outlook using the uninstall option from within the Programs and Features, the installation begins but never completes.

At this point Outlook cannot be opened, it crashes, and it can't be uninstalled from the Programs and Feature option. We tried reinstalling it again but it would not since it recognized that Outlook is still existent.

What is the appropriate method for uninstalling Outlook at this point so that it actually we can complete a clean removal of the software.

Thanks fror you help.

Claudio Barrasso

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 7:32 PM

Answers

• We have a meeting with the client and we will try to uninstall the office suite as well.  If that doesn't work through the front end, I have a fix program that I will run.

The last resort is to do it manually since we would need to make changes directly to the registry.  However, I found steps to do that on the KB.

Claudio Barrasso

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, March 04, 2011 7:27 AM
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I understand your client have trouble with uninstall outlook 2007 from Vista system.

Follow this KB may help you to uninstall it manually.

Sincerely,

Fangfang

References:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218/us-en

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:43 AM
  • Andrew,

I read the KB document yesterday and it deals with uninstalling Office Suite programs.  All of the steps under Let me fix it myself deal with Office modules - source engine, installation folders and files...

In this particular case Outlook is not part of the Office Suite, but a separate installation.  The Office Suite installed on the computer did not come with Outlook.  I'm looking for uninstall  instructions that focus on Outlook.

How can I do that?

Thanks so much.

Claudio Barrasso

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 3:45 PM
  • Are you able to restore then try the uninstall? Or maybe uninstall the home/student suite then see if there was some sort of tie to the 2 (never know if they somehow joined on install) then try to uninstall office?

Other option is going safe mode then manually deleting files, changing registry values, etc. Not sure where you would find detailed steps on that...

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 7:35 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the thoughtless.

Here I make some change from that KB, you may take a try with it.

======================================================

1.     Locate and then delete the registry subkeys of the 2007 Microsoft Outlook if they are present. To do this, follow these steps:

a.      Click Start, click Start Search, type regedit, and then click OK.

b.      Click the following subkey:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook

c.      On the File menu, click Export, type DeletedKey01, and then click Save.

d.      On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click Yes to confirm the deletion.

e.      For each registry subkey in the following list, repeat steps 1a through 1d. Change the name of the exported key by one for each subkey.
    For example, type DeletedKey02 for the second key, type DeletedKey03 for the third key, and so on.

Note In the following registry keys, the asterisk character (*) represents one or more characters in the subkey name.

§  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook

§  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook

§  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook

§  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Outlook

§  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook

§  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook

§  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook

§  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Outlook

§  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Delivery\SourceEngine\Downloads\{90120000-001A-0000-0000000FF1CE}-C

§  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{90120000-001A-*0FF1CE*

§  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\{00002109A10090*F01FEC

§  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Outlook

§  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Features\{00002109A10*F01FEC

§  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\{00002109A10*F01FEC

§  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{90120000-001A-* F01FEC*

2.    Close Registry Editor.

3.     Restart the computer
    If the uninstall was successful, you are finished and can now reinstall the 2007 Microsoft Outlook if you want.

==================================

Regards,
    Andrew

Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:51 AM
  • We have a meeting with the client and we will try to uninstall the office suite as well.  If that doesn't work through the front end, I have a fix program that I will run.

The last resort is to do it manually since we would need to make changes directly to the registry.  However, I found steps to do that on the KB.

Claudio Barrasso

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, March 04, 2011 7:27 AM
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:47 PM
  • We finally met with the client and wound up just creating a new Outlook profile, which seemed to fix the issue.  We tried this option since certain Outlook functions were working.

Then I imported the calendar and contacts from the old files and everything seemed to be fine.

Claudio Barrasso

Friday, March 04, 2011 8:36 PM