none
Change location of .officeUI files?

Question

• Hello, is it possible to change the default location for .officeUI files?  These are the files created when a user adds something to the quick access toolbar.  By default, they are kept in the %userprofile%\local settings\application data\microsoft\office folder.  Howerver, several of our users are using Office 2010 apps on terminal servers and our group policy prevents the Local Settings folder from roaming with the profile.  So, if a user adds a shortcut to the quick access toolbar and then logs out at the end of the day, the toolbar goes back to default settings the next day since the .officeUI file was never saved.

People above me in the food chain do not want to change the policy to start including things from the Local Settings folder, so I was wondering if those officeUI files could be redirected somewhere else.  Any thoughts on this?  Thanks! 

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:41 PM

Answers

• Hello,

By default, Office 2010 will keep the QAT customized settings in the .OfficeUI files at the Local settings folder. However, there is a setting available in the Office 2010 GPO to make this roam, and cause the Office 2010 applications to store the .OfficeUI settings in the Roaming folder instead of Local.

To do this, download the Office 2010 ADM templates from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=64B837B6-0AA0-4C07-BC34-BEC3990A7956&displaylang=en

Extract and import the ADM/ADMX files as appropriate. Then set the following GPO in the User Configuration part of the GPO template

Microsoft Office 2010 --> Global Options --> Customize --> Allow Roaming of all user customizations

Set this policy to Enabled, and all the Office 2010 applications should store the QAT customization in the roaming part of the user profile, and the settings will roam.

You can also do this by setting a registry key if you want, you can set either of the 2 values

HKCU\software\policies\microsoft\office\14.0\common\toolbars
    Value name: CustomUIRoaming Valuetype: REG_DWORD Valuedata:1

HKCU\software\microsoft\office\14.0\common\toolbars

Hope this helps

Tarak Chakraborty - MSFT
    Office Deployment Team Blog:http://blogs.technet.com/b/odsupport/

• Marked as answer by Nardo88 Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:54 PM
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:47 PM

All replies

• I also have this problem
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 6:03 PM
  •  

Hello,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:43 AM
  • Hello,

By default, Office 2010 will keep the QAT customized settings in the .OfficeUI files at the Local settings folder. However, there is a setting available in the Office 2010 GPO to make this roam, and cause the Office 2010 applications to store the .OfficeUI settings in the Roaming folder instead of Local.

To do this, download the Office 2010 ADM templates from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=64B837B6-0AA0-4C07-BC34-BEC3990A7956&displaylang=en

Extract and import the ADM/ADMX files as appropriate. Then set the following GPO in the User Configuration part of the GPO template

Microsoft Office 2010 --> Global Options --> Customize --> Allow Roaming of all user customizations

Set this policy to Enabled, and all the Office 2010 applications should store the QAT customization in the roaming part of the user profile, and the settings will roam.

You can also do this by setting a registry key if you want, you can set either of the 2 values

HKCU\software\policies\microsoft\office\14.0\common\toolbars

HKCU\software\microsoft\office\14.0\common\toolbars

Hope this helps

Tarak Chakraborty - MSFT
    Office Deployment Team Blog:http://blogs.technet.com/b/odsupport/

• Marked as answer by Nardo88 Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:54 PM
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:47 PM
  • The GPO was exactly what I needed.  Thanks!!!

Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:55 PM
  • Tarak,

I have a question that somewhat relates to this thread.  I'm trying to place a custom *officeUI file in the MS Office 2010 OCT.  I read some other threads that suggested changing the *exportedUI file name to *officeUI and remove the first cmd in the code, then place the file in the "localdata" folder.  That folder does not exist (I think they meant to say "localappdata", but I tried that to no avail).

Could you guide me as to where I can place a customized Quick Access Tool bar file in the OCT so I can deploy it in my MS Office 2010 rollout to a number of users via a GPO?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Gary

Thursday, April 21, 2011 1:38 PM
  • worked for me as well.

Thanks

Monday, April 25, 2011 2:19 PM
  • Excellent.
    Friday, May 04, 2012 9:39 AM