none
Error: excel cannot open the file .xlsx because the file format or file extension is not valid

All replies

• The excel 2007 and higher files are basically zipped file.If you can handle the "Open Office XML" then you can directly open and edit.The below link can guide you.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee361919(v=office.11)

If not confidential then you can uplaod the file in skydrive/sendspace and share the link.I shall try to recover as far possible.

Best Regards,
    Asadulla Javed, Kolkata
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

Thursday, August 30, 2012 7:28 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

Your provided link is not working....

SpectrumKing

Thursday, August 30, 2012 7:39 AM
  • Hmmm.

Try searching "Open  Office xml for office 2007" in google.1st option is the place...

Best Regards,
    Asadulla Javed, Kolkata
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

Thursday, August 30, 2012 7:48 AM
  • Rename the Excel file with .xml extension and then open Excel application. Goto File menu | Open and try to open the xml file.

Thanks and Regards, Roopkumar Kamat (MCITP)

Thursday, August 30, 2012 5:47 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

Your provided link is not working....

SpectrumKing

It should work now, please try again.

Max Meng

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 31, 2012 1:27 AM
  • Hi,

Change the file extension manually from .xlsx to .xls and try again to check the issue.

Also, try to open the file in safe mode to check the issue:                                           

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/work-with-office-safe-modes-HP010354300.aspx?CTT=1

Jaynet Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 31, 2012 9:21 AM
  • Thanks for your reply Sir. I tried this & its not working, Regrettably.

SpectrumKing

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 4:40 AM
  • Unfortunately, it does not work. Thanks for your reply though...

SpectrumKing

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 4:41 AM
  • Open office does not help, thanks for your reply.

SpectrumKing

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 4:41 AM
  • Already checked this, unfortunately its not working. Thanks for your reply anyways.

SpectrumKing

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 4:42 AM
  • Download link is working, but soluation does not.

SpectrumKing

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 4:43 AM
  • This was the first think I tried when I got error, however its not working...

SpectrumKing

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 4:44 AM
  • Thanks for your message Mark; yes I tried many Excel Recovery Tools, all ineffective.

SpectrumKing

Thursday, September 06, 2012 9:39 AM
  • Sorry dude, all in reffered post already tried but did not work for me. Thanks for your reply though... 

SpectrumKing

Sunday, September 09, 2012 1:03 PM
  • One of our users with Win XP & MS Office 2007 tries to move his data from desktop to D:\. Move was not successful but he lost data in process. (I am not agree with user because moving data did not result in data loss or deletion)

We try to recover data from different tools and luckily we retrieve the lost data back with a new problem. When we try to open any excel file we are getting error:

"Excel cannot open the file {Name}.xlsx because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file"

I have already tried all suggested solutions on Microsoft Forums like:

Problem is still same, I think these corrupted files can be repaired, how? I am still searching & need your help if you have any idea….

Adding some more information to my post, may be it will help.....

I have tried all above already and I give the results as well:

01- In my case files were being moved from C:\ to D drive and after finishing I can't find any files, at first I lost all files (.xls) in moving them

02- I recovered files using a recovery tool (Get data back & Recover all my files)

03- After recovery I am unable to open any file (recover twice using above tools, result is same) All files recovered in .xlsx

04- Changed file extension to .xls, .rtf & xml its not opening with xls & trf in xml its opening but the values are garbage/machine language/not readable.

Tried repairing files using ExcelFix, Excel Repair and tons of different utilities all unable to open.

If you need any further information, you are welcome.

Please check by post on same subject:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/excel/thread/51bde1c2-ab35-4716-afa9-8e3207b2d7f5/

Lets fix this issue….

SpectrumKing

Sunday, September 09, 2012 1:04 PM
  • MS Dos, the clear winner.................

I tried multiple fixes but all in vain. very simple fix I got is as below.

1- Copy your filename.xlsx on C drive (for quick finding)

2- Run command prompt as an administrator (for all roghts)

3- Change file extension to xls using rename commsnd "rename filename.xlsx filename.xls"

4- Open file in excel.... enjoy

My xlsx had very complex formulas and charts, surprisingly complete data is repaired and restored by Excel 2010.

• Proposed as answer by Shahid Jabbar Monday, December 10, 2012 5:36 PM
    Monday, December 10, 2012 5:36 PM
  • Repair your corrupted excel file using excel recovery software, go to http://www.repaircorruptexcel.com to download the excel recovery software.

I am also facing the same problem since 15th Dec 2012. But I am having problem with all the office files like excel, word, text, pictures etc.

A help from Microsoft is highly solicited.

Girbhatt

Friday, January 04, 2013 10:34 AM
  • You can repair MS office as well from the control panel.

Repair your Office programs

• Click Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features.
    • Click the Office program you want to repair, and then click Change.
    • Click Repair > Continue. You might need to restart your computer after the repair is complete.

Diagnose and repair crashing Office programs by using Office Diagnostics

It will test the program and inform you about the problems.

3rd party MS Office repair program is available @ stellarfilerepair.com

Thursday, January 10, 2013 3:55 AM
  • I tried Stellar's software once. Very bad. It took all my time and gave me nothing. But yeah, it was demo version. Ask the developers to enhance the recovery speed.

Thank you!

Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:55 AM
  • Solve the problem out thanks to ms excel xlsx repair

Article http://www.xlsxrepairtoolbox.com will open to you all the tips and tricks in working with excel files

Friday, May 17, 2013 6:35 PM
  • When an error like: "Excel cannot open the file {Name}.xlsx because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file" appears on the screen, this means file has some critical issues. To avoid this error, the file should be repaired.

Though, "Open and Repair" technique can only fix minor corruption issues, it can also be used here. The file should be tried to open by using "Open and Repair". It still the file seems to be corrupted, then a third-party recovery application for corrupt .xlsx files would be helpful here. I can recommend Xlsx Recovery software of SysInfoTools here. It will resolve all the corruption errors and fix high-level of corruption from corrupt .xlsx files.
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:22 AM
  • This worked for me... delete the temp file found here:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

Windows 7

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 1:48 PM
  • This worked for me... delete the temp file found here:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

Windows 7

KCribb-  thanks! worked like a charm!!! 

XLSTART holds the template for all Excel files (book1, etc) and it was corrupted.

Thanks!

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 3:57 PM
  • Hi Asadulla,

Can I send you my corrupted xls file to help me open it? How do I share it in Skydrive/Sendspace with you directly?

Best,

Sara

Thursday, November 14, 2013 5:59 AM
  • Are you working for Systools data recovery?

I have searched your profile and it tell you are working for systools.

Well Markwillium, you have nothing to prove that I work for Systools. But I can prove it that you are working for Stellar Data Recovery. I have seen your many post in many forums. You post a question and get solved by using a Stellar's products. This doesn't happen once or twice. In fact, such thing happens mostly or all the time you post something on any forum. You guy here for something, which is known as spamming in these days. But I really don't care. I have made only three posts (including this one) so far in this discussion forum. In one of my posts I was recommending SysInfoTools' product (not Systools) as I read about it in an article. It doesn't mean I'm working for any third-party software company as you are. 

BTW, I was talking about PST Recovery of Stellar. I tried its trial version once and it took more than enough time to scan my corrupt .pst file. If I don't stop it, it would take a or maybe 2 years to scan my file.

Stop spamming here otherwise you'll be declared spammer.

Thanks.

Saturday, November 23, 2013 10:16 AM
  • I know this may not be ideal, but I was able to fix this by "laundering" though Google Docs. You need to upload the document then right click on the file and change to .xls, right click again and open with Google Sheets-- it worked for me.

• Edited by jasontalwar Friday, February 07, 2014 11:42 PM
    • Proposed as answer by jasontalwar Friday, February 07, 2014 11:47 PM
    Friday, February 07, 2014 11:36 PM
  • Have you found a solution for this problem? I believe i share the same problem as Spectrumking. Excel file was accidentally deleted from PC and i had to use Recuva to recover it, but now that i have it on PC again i get "Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file" message.

Screenshot: http://oi58.tinypic.com/10p7z9d.jpg

I've uploaded the file here if anyone can possibly repair it... I've also tried 'Open and Repair' within Excel, i tried couple of 3rd party programs mentioned above and none of them helped... This is a very important file to me so if anyone could help anyhow it would really mean a lot.

Download link: http://speedy.sh/MPdtA/Popis-31-12-13.xlsx 

Hoping for a quick response.

Thanks in advance.

• Edited by bLeyaa Saturday, February 22, 2014 1:38 PM
    Saturday, February 22, 2014 1:37 PM
  • hi

i am facing same problem . if you got some  solution for same can please share with me.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 11:37 AM
  • Hi Amar,

Have you tried above recommendations?

Try to Save As the file and save it at another location with new name. It may solve your problem.

Good Luck!!!

Thursday, March 27, 2014 3:24 AM
  • MS Dos, the clear winner.................

I tried multiple fixes but all in vain. very simple fix I got is as below.

1- Copy your filename.xlsx on C drive (for quick finding)

2- Run command prompt as an administrator (for all roghts)

3- Change file extension to xls using rename commsnd "rename filename.xlsx filename.xls"

4- Open file in excel.... enjoy

My xlsx had very complex formulas and charts, surprisingly complete data is repaired and restored by Excel 2010.

If you are already attempt all method but problem is still same, it means, these corrupted files may be repaired by any advance tool. so don't try any freeware software due to cost aspect because most of exe damage your PC and file. So my opinion you try any shareware tool.

Check this link this may help you out

http://excelexperts.com/how-recover-data-damaged-microsoft-access-database-table
    http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/office/Open-a-Excel-workbook-80181a3f

Friday, June 13, 2014 10:26 AM
  • Hi Javed,

Can you help me in retrieving my data. I am a victim of the same issue.

Best Regards

Monday, June 16, 2014 2:43 PM
  • No success so far. I actually tried all recommended solutions before posting my problem here. Your case might be different and you may attempt suggested solution in the chain of messages of this forum.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 4:23 AM
  • Also you can try to make a copy of corrupted files. (It could work) But if nothing helps, you can try to recover it by using Recovery Toolbox for Excel.  Download free demo versions of this software from Recovery Toolbox website: http://www.excel.recoverytoolbox.com/  It’s gonna help.
    Monday, July 14, 2014 8:48 PM