none
Windows Installer - network resource not available

Question

• I am migrating to a new PC and have managed 99% of the transfer of files.  All software is the same as on my old PC yet after loading MS Office PRO with Publisher Version 2002 my Outlook will not function.  Window Installer Dialog page says "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.  Click OK to try again, or enter an alernate path to a folder containing the installation package 'PRO11.MSI' in the box below.  The only choices in the "Use source" drop down are C:\MSOCache\90000409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9 and MS Office Professional 2003.  I never installed Office 2003, don't know where it came from and the add/remove software tool will not remove it.  I like my old XP Opsys and my Office 2002 Pro Publisher and don't want to "upgrade".  It all works perfect on my old platform.  Thanks for any guidance you can give.  Paul

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Monday, September 20, 2010 5:30 PM Moved to appropriate forum category (From:Office Genuine Advantage Validation Issues (Office))
    Monday, September 20, 2010 5:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This behavior may occur if both the following conditions are true when you try to install Office features:

• The Installed on First Use option is selected.
    • You are installing the Office feature from a resource, such as a network server, that becomes unavailable during the installation.

If you become disconnected from your installation point or network resource, reconnect and try to use the Office feature again.

See this KB article for details:

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable" error message when you click a feature in an Office 2003 program

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828376

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, September 30, 2010 5:56 AM
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:12 AM