none
Trouble un-installing office 2003

Question

• I keep getting denied permission to un-install office 2003 standard.  I get Error 1402:

"Setup cannot openregistry key HKEY_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\curentVersion\Run\optionalComponents\MSFS. Verify Sufficient Permissions to access registry"

I am attempting two things:

1. My harddrive is too full to defrag and I want to uninstall the office suite to give me 15% space which is required to Defrag.

2. I then want to upgrade to Office 2007 Enterprise. 

I keep getting this error message and the uninstall gets halted.  I am the administrator on the machine, I should have ability to do this?

Monday, May 07, 2012 2:02 AM

Answers

• Hi, if your disk is very full, you may find you cannot uninstall software (some uninstallations routines need some temporary space to execute), and inaccurate error messages can result.
    Defrag will not free up disk space, it only moves stuff around, and the performance gain is often minimal.
    try running the Disk Cleanup tool (cleanmgr.exe) - as you haven't mentioned which version of Windows you have, I can't give you exact guidance, but it's most likely at: Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools

you can then try uninstalling Office if you wish. you may still have difficulty uninstalling Office 2003 (it's quite common), so this article may help:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971179

Office 2007 will likely require more disk space than Office 2003.

Don

Monday, May 07, 2012 11:40 AM

All replies

• I just read a similar request and it appears that  because I purchased this machine from Goodwill with software loaded and the fact that it was donated from a business office, the original administrator would be the only person allowed to uninstall the software.  Being that I have no idea who that is, how can i go around this obstacle and complete the task?  Anyone out there have an idea?  Thanks,
    Monday, May 07, 2012 2:07 AM
  •  I just noticed that my question has been reported as abusive, why? 

Monday, May 07, 2012 2:27 AM
  • Hi, if your disk is very full, you may find you cannot uninstall software (some uninstallations routines need some temporary space to execute), and inaccurate error messages can result.
    Defrag will not free up disk space, it only moves stuff around, and the performance gain is often minimal.
    try running the Disk Cleanup tool (cleanmgr.exe) - as you haven't mentioned which version of Windows you have, I can't give you exact guidance, but it's most likely at: Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools

you can then try uninstalling Office if you wish. you may still have difficulty uninstalling Office 2003 (it's quite common), so this article may help:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971179

Office 2007 will likely require more disk space than Office 2003.

Don

Monday, May 07, 2012 11:40 AM