none
Unexpected Error Sending Message in Outlook '07

Question

• I have a user who is intermittently receiving an error message when trying to send an email in Outlook 2007.  The error reads:

"Unexpected error has occurred.  The cause of the error is unknown."

Now, as helpful as that error message is, I cannot find any information as to where to even start looking for solutions.  The error only shows up occasionally.  There is nothing obviously different about the messages that refuse to send versus ones that do send.  Restarting Outlook allows the message to be sent, but it inevitably happens again.  Anybody have any clue what might be happening?

We are running Scalix 11.4 for the mail server.  The user is on Win XP.

(Seriously, MS, would it really be that hard to give helpful error messages?  Most users are just going to contact their IT department as soon as they get an error anyway, so why not make the IT guys' lives a little easier, eh?)

Click Start, click Run..., type "cmd" and hit enter, type "work /now"

Monday, February 27, 2012 9:18 PM

Answers

• It appears that the issue was with the anti-virus email client integration.  Since pushing a new configuration, removing the email integration, the user has not seen the issue.  It is odd, though, that some users have issues while others do not.  All are on the same version of Outlook.  The setups are 100% identical.

• Marked as answer by jkloth1 Wednesday, March 07, 2012 5:51 PM
    Wednesday, March 07, 2012 5:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

what about the status line in Outlook? Is it connected? Perhaps there are network problems.

What about the other userrs hae they got the same problems or doe´s only one user has got this problem?

regards Thomas Paetzold visit my blog on: http://sus42.wordpress.com

Monday, February 27, 2012 9:26 PM
  • Yes, Outlook is connected to the server as new messages are still received and other messages are still able to be sent.  AFAIK, it is only this one user having problems.

Monday, February 27, 2012 9:50 PM
  • Hi,

have you checked the network cable or is it possible that you integrate this wrkstation to you rmonitoring system in order to get some more detailed information.

regards Thomas Paetzold visit my blog on: http://sus42.wordpress.com

Monday, February 27, 2012 9:54 PM
  • I'm not really sure what you're getting at.  What information are you looking for?

I've already told you there is no network problem.  The user has full access to network shares and the internet and is receiving new emails just fine.  It's just certain messages that do not send.  Even when these isolated messages refuse to send, the user can start a new email and send that email just fine, but the first message still will not send.

Monday, February 27, 2012 10:25 PM
  • Anybody?

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:59 PM
  • I have been getting this error for about 2 months while travelling and using Outlook via webmail. It began coincident with my exchange server being migrated back home and only occurs with a webmail version of Outlook. It is very intermittant with plain emails, but always occurs with any attachment. I have run two virus scan softwares. It occurs only when I access exchange via Explorer 7 or 8, but never with Safari or Firefox. It has been intermittant on other computers when I access my account under explorer 8, but never on another computer with explorer 7. I have tried to reset and remove both exporer versions on my computer and reinstall, and flushed cookies and bookmarks and all temporary files. I have spoken to two IT departments all to no avail. I am getting ready to reinstall windows after wiping my laptop. Any suggestions?
    Monday, March 05, 2012 12:24 AM
  • It appears that the issue was with the anti-virus email client integration.  Since pushing a new configuration, removing the email integration, the user has not seen the issue.  It is odd, though, that some users have issues while others do not.  All are on the same version of Outlook.  The setups are 100% identical.

• Marked as answer by jkloth1 Wednesday, March 07, 2012 5:51 PM
    Wednesday, March 07, 2012 5:51 PM