none
Word 2010 - Paragraph Numbering

Question

• When I first purchased 2010 and loaded it, I was so happy that my paragraph numbering problems were over until recently when I started working on a document for a client.  Things just went horribly wrong :(

I can create a list from scratch, edit an existing list or use a current list and the same problem happens.  I am having the problem that when make changes to a style and try to update or edit a paragraph list, instead of updating the list, it creates another style.  For example if I was editing Heading 1, it renames it to Heading,1 and does not use the style or formatting as it should and I cannot edit.  Has anyone else experienced this? 

After reviewing someone else comment, as was also looking for the reset to default for paragraph numbering but was unable to locate the file they referred to.  Think it was ListGal.dat but couldn't find this file.  I tried repairing 2010 and have even reloaded 2010 and not having any luck.  This sort of makes Office useless on my computer as my main purpose is reporting which is all paragraph/style formatting....

Can anyone please help me?  And if you can't help with the answer, any idea where I can get support?

Sunday, April 03, 2011 3:00 PM

All replies

• See the article "How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Microsoft Word document" on the following page of fellow MVP Shauna Kelly's website:

http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html
     -- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"Melissa Hunn" wrote in message news:58133f8c-8444-4a3b-a4e3-6071b662d1e6@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

When I first purchased 2010 and loaded it, I was so happy that my paragraph numbering problems were over until recently when I started working on a document for a client.  Things just went horribly wrong :(I can create a list from scratch, edit an existing list or use a current list and the same problem happens.  I am having the problem that when make changes to a style and try to update or edit a paragraph list, instead of updating the list, it creates another style.  For example if I was editing Heading 1, it renames it to Heading,1 and does not use the style or formatting as it should and I cannot edit.  Has anyone else experienced this?

After reviewing someone else comment, as was also looking for the reset to default for paragraph numbering but was unable to locate the file they referred to.  Think it was ListGal.dat but couldn't find this file.  I tried repairing 2010 and have even reloaded 2010 and not having any luck. This sort of makes Office useless on my computer as my main purpose is reporting which is all paragraph/style formatting....

Can anyone please help me?  And if you can't help with the answer, any idea where I can get support?

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Monday, April 04, 2011 8:30 AM
  • None of these answer the question fully. All the mystery surrounding styles and numbering has got progressively worst since word version 1.0

Poor or non existent documentation on any of these subjects.

Monday, August 13, 2012 12:03 PM
  • None of these answer the question fully. All the mystery surrounding styles and numbering has got progressively worst since word version 1.0

Poor or non existent documentation on any of these subjects.

Please describe the specific issues you are having with numbering.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Monday, August 13, 2012 2:28 PM
  • check this video this will help you

<cite class="kv">www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA6EOzpQql8</cite>

Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:36 PM
  • completely agree. Typing "paragraph numbering" into help sends to a 3rd party site (shaunakelly.com)

a) is there no MS help for creating adequately labelled paragraphs and sub-paragraphs using outline levels as the numbering basis - why do we have to rely on 3rd party? Is this the only way of getting multi level numbering correct?

b)why does this stuff not just work out of the box? - the method described is a pain.

Multilevel formatting in Word 2010 is completely useless, and poorly documented.

Sunday, December 16, 2012 6:27 PM
  • completely agree. Typing "paragraph numbering" into help sends to a 3rd party site (shaunakelly.com)

a) is there no MS help for creating adequately labelled paragraphs and sub-paragraphs using outline levels as the numbering basis - why do we have to rely on 3rd party? Is this the only way of getting multi level numbering correct?

b)why does this stuff not just work out of the box? - the method described is a pain.

Multilevel formatting in Word 2010 is completely useless, and poorly documented.

There is a reason why we recommend Shauna Kelly's articles; they represent the necessary steps you must take when creating stable numbering from the start. It may seem convoluted (and it is!), but once you have set up the numbering as discussed in Shauna's article, it does work.

Also, note that multilevel numbering in Word 2010 is the same as in Word 2007, and the underlying principles haven't changed since Word 97, although (obviously) the user interface changed dramatically in Word 2007.

• Edited by Stefan BlomMVP Tuesday, March 18, 2014 7:28 PM (cleared up formatting)
    Sunday, December 16, 2012 7:36 PM
  • I'm an experienced typesetter, but relatively new to MS Word.   Stefan, I wonder if it is possible for you to explain to me whether you officially represent Microsoft ?  If so, can you say something about why such a key feature remains so convoluted, and whether there are any plans to improve the situation ?

I am also finding that relatively simple numbering in a basic document fails to work.   e.g. A list of numbered tables is ordered D1.1 through D1.10.   Copy and paste an item in the middle of the list and the numbering restarts at D1.1.  Selecting options to continue the sequence does not resolve the issue.    For a project I'm working on, I have been converting a TeX document to Word.   Based on this experience, my strong recommendation to my clients is to strongly reconsider the policy decision to continue migrating legacy documents to Office.   Sure - I will be able to find technical workarounds, but it will be expensive.

Hoping to discover a simpler answer.   I really can't believe that this problem, which is trivial, is so badly handled, although I suspect I know the fundamental issue, which is that Word is a wysiwyg word processor, and tries hard to hide the separation of semantic/markup definition, when in fact it is much easier to show what is going on underneath.   I'm assuming there isn't any way for Word to show a document in the way LyX does ?  i.e. Alternate views that show what will appear on the page, versus the underlying logical document definition ?

Friday, June 14, 2013 5:23 AM
  • No, MVPs don't work for Microsoft.

Converting from one file format to another is always a tricky task... In Word, I would recommend using the Caption feature for table numbering. If you prefer auto numbering, set up a numbered style as discussed earlier in this thread.

Friday, June 14, 2013 7:14 AM
  • Shauna's page is missing...so the link is broken.
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 7:41 PM
  • The video isn't available. 
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 7:42 PM
  • And, they link to a page that is no longer available.  So now I have NO idea what to do!
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 7:43 PM
  • That may be so...but Shauna's page is no longer there!!!!
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 7:43 PM
  • The site is having issues at the moment. See this archived version of the article:

http://web.archive.org/web/20130510174814/http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html

If clicking the link doesn't work, copy and paste it into the address field of your browser.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 7:47 PM
  • I just used Shauna Kelly's article to number a document, but the numbering scheme still doesn't work.

I want to number the first Heading 1 as 1.0 and subsequent Headings as 2.0, 3.0, etc  but it doesn't do that. Instead it goes 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 etc.  I want to use 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 etc for subheadings of Heading 1.0.  The next paragraph would be Heading 2.0 with subheadings 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 etc. and so on.

How can I do this?  I have been working with Shauna's article for the last two hours and can't figure out how to accomplish this.

I would also like to see more information on how to make formatting in a Table of Contenst work better.

• Edited by Pdef19491 Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:55 PM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:36 PM
  • Which version of Word are you using?

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:45 PM
  • This discussion has been going on for over two years without a resolution. WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS could handle formatting perfectly all those years ago, yet Microsoft cannot even explain how to sort it out without recourse to a third party. You can tell I am frustrated, not just having spent a morning trying to herd formatting cats when even if I set styles to be based on no style, they update seemingly randomly when other changes are made. I can't get numbering in one style to follow the numbering in another. Then I looked here for help, and found none.

Word must be the one of most commonly-used office software packages in the world. Why is is so hard? Grr.

Monday, March 10, 2014 2:25 PM
  • This discussion has been going on for over two years without a resolution. WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS could handle formatting perfectly all those years ago, yet Microsoft cannot even explain how to sort it out without recourse to a third party. You can tell I am frustrated, not just having spent a morning trying to herd formatting cats when even if I set styles to be based on no style, they update seemingly randomly when other changes are made. I can't get numbering in one style to follow the numbering in another. Then I looked here for help, and found none.

Which formatting are you referring to? This thread deals with numbering, which will work if you carefully set it up linked to paragraph styles (one style per numbering level) as discussed in Shauna Kelly's article at http://shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html.

• Edited by Stefan BlomMVP Tuesday, March 18, 2014 7:29 PM (cleared up formatting/blank lines)
    Monday, March 10, 2014 2:45 PM
  • I admire your confidence (or chutzpah) Stefan.

I have, reluctantly, been using Word for more years than I can remember. Most of the text I work with involves outline numbering and numbered lists, and Word has ALWAYS been totally horrible, unreliable and frustrating in this respect. If you ever think you've got a set of numbered styles working reliably, just wait a while; they will go wrong, and you can grow old and die trying to fix them. Don't take my word for it, search old forums and internet posts on Word 6.

Right now I have my List Number style in a template that was working fine in Word 2003 and 2007 suddenly applying a different hanging indent on the first (number 1) step of every list. Even thinking about trying to sort it out makes me lose the will to live.

And now that MS has added insult to injury in the form of not bothering to produce anything that even remotely resembles decent user assistance (preferring to abdicate responsibility to the likes of Word For Dummies) I don't see how anyone is ever going to get numbering to work. Not sure if I can even be bothered to try any more.

By the way, I write software and hardware user assistance for a living. It's what I've done for 30 years.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 6:42 PM
  • I admire your confidence (or chutzpah) Stefan.

Right now I have my List Number style in a template that was working fine in Word 2003 and 2007 suddenly applying a different hanging indent on the first (number 1) step of every list. Even thinking about trying to sort it out makes me lose the will to live.

Stefan's recommendation of How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in Ribbon Versions of Word by Shauna Kelly is neither overconfidence nor chutzpah, it is the voice of (painful I suspect) experience. I share his confidence that if the methods outlined in that article are followed, you will have solid numbering. Deviating from that method is likely to give you what is known by the technical term "spaghetti numbering" in any heavily edited document.

Getting other users to use styles, is not easy, though.

An alternative, which is bulletproof, if a bit more trouble, is to use SEQ fields. Unfortunately, they do not necessarily carry the benefits of the built-in heading styles. They predate Word 6 and are very reliable. They can be put into AutoText for easy use.

The reports on the forums (earlier newsgroups) that you refer to are from people who simply try to use the buttons on the Ribbon (or earlier on toolbars) rather than jumping through the hoops of setting up a style-based numbering system.

Yes, Word's numbering is problematic because this method is not intuitive, it is not set by default. This is well known in this community even if not by users in general.

Numbering in Microsoft Word

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 2:14 PM
  • Word numbering is convoluted; no one has denied that. However, it is more stable now than it used to be in Word 97 or 2000, assuming that you set it up correctly from the start. The methods discussed in Shauna Kelly's articles at http://www.shaunakelly.com/word are thoroughly tested over the years, and they do work.

It's impossible to tell what caused the specific numbering problem in your template. It could be plain old document corruption, or it could be easily fixed by revisiting the multilevel list dialog box (or the Adjust List Indents dialog box for a single-level list).

Please note, once again, that no one from Microsoft has replied to this thread. Posters in this forum are not responsible for Microsoft's business decisions.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 2:38 PM