none
Excel 2013 error on open: "We're sorry, but Excel has run into an error that is preventing it from working correctly. Excel will need to be closed as a result."

Question

• I installed Office 2013 (365 subscription-based) on a Windows 8 computer that had Office 2010 installed previously. After the install I also uninstalled the old version. Everything runs perfectly well except Excel, which on running (both normal and safe mode) delivers an error: "We're sorry, but Excel has run into an error that is preventing it from working correctly. Excel will need to be closed as a result.".

The options presented (except close) are to repair it (online or offline). I tried both repair options, none worked. 

Last step: I uninstalled completely the Office 365 and re-installed it again from office.com/setup. Same final result.

The only possibility now to use Excel is through web apps, which is pretty limited. Please, any solution other then re-installing the entire Windows from scratch?!

Thanks!

Thursday, June 13, 2013 1:11 PM

Answers

• I found the issue: the excel.exe was configured to run in compatibility mode for windows 7... I have windows 8. In order to correct it: excel.exe -> right click -> properties -> compatibility -> make sure the "run this program in compatibility mode for" is unchecked if you have windows 8 installed. :)
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 10:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Then start Windows in clean boot to check whether the issue is caused by some third party services.

Jaynet Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, June 14, 2013 3:38 AM
  • Thanks for the quick reply, I just tried that... Excel would not start at all in that moment... is there a service that I should allow it to run? I disabled all of them for the clean boot. 
    Friday, June 14, 2013 8:52 AM
  • I found the issue: the excel.exe was configured to run in compatibility mode for windows 7... I have windows 8. In order to correct it: excel.exe -> right click -> properties -> compatibility -> make sure the "run this program in compatibility mode for" is unchecked if you have windows 8 installed. :)
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 10:54 AM
  • Do you have bins (http://www.1upindustries.com/bins) installed? If yes, uninstall it... I know it sounds stupid, but it seems there is an incompatibility with it.
    Friday, March 28, 2014 3:22 PM
  • Nope.
    Friday, March 28, 2014 8:36 PM