none
Product Activation Failed Office 2010 | Key is invalid

Question

• My manager purchased Office 2010 with MAK licensing http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee691939.aspx  and downloaded a copy of Office 2010 to install for a number of employees.

He later purchased additional licenses for three more employees and got a different activation key at that time.  Does he need to download a different copy of Office 2010 ever time he does this?

I'm asking because neither the original key or the new key will work on the copy of Office he originally downloaded.  When I use either to try to activate Office 2010 (I'm doing this through Outlook) I get an error message stating the license key is invalid.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 5:03 PM

Answers

• Ted, thank you for your help.  We finally got to the bottom of the issue.  I hope this explanation makes sense.  Apparently there was a preview site my manager was using.  He had to switch to the regular site and lookup the product key.  He got different key that way, and the new key worked.
    • Marked as answer by David Wolters Monday, October 10, 2011 8:41 PM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:41 PM

All replies

• If you're using the same product (e.g. Office 2010 Professional Plus), you will not need to download it a second time.  The downloaded file will work with both keys.  It's only if he purchased Professional Plus initially and then Office 2010 Standard for the three emplyees that you will need to download the other version.

Could you please run the below on a machine with Office installed and paste the output?  Also, where was Office purchased from?

Open anelevated command prompt

a. The path below is the default install path, so it may be different if you've customized your install

b. If you’re using 32b Office on a 64b OS, you may need to run it from the “Program Files (x86)” folder

c. Start, search for ‘cmd’, right click on the command prompt window and select “Run as administrator”

d. cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /dstatusall

2) Enter the MAK key (if you're using MAK)

a. cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /inpkey:<the MAK key>

b. Include the dashes in the product key

3) Trigger activation

a. Launching an Office application will then prompt you for activation via the UI. Alternatively you can trigger it using this command:

b. cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /act

4) Check the status

a. The following command will show the licensing status. Alternatively in the Office UI you can view the status by clicking File, Help.

b. cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /dstatusall

Ted Way [MSFT], Program Manager, Microsoft Office: Enterprise Licensing, Group Policy, and 64-bit Office
    Friday, July 15, 2011 7:21 AM
  • I've read we aren't supposed to post the actual product keys, so the forum, so here it is with the product key x'ed out:

Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

---Processing--------------------------
    ---------------------------------------
    ERROR CODE: 0xC004F050
    ERROR DESCRIPTION: The Software Licensing Service reported that the product key is invalid.
    ---Exiting-----------------------------

C:\>cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /ACT

Installed product key detected - attempting to activate the following product:
    SKU ID: 9da2a678-fb6b-4e67-ab84-60dd6a9c819a
    LICENSE NAME: Office 14, OfficeStandard-KMS_Client edition
    LICENSE DESCRIPTION: Office 14, VOLUME_KMSCLIENT channel
    Last 5 characters of installed product key: 8R6BM
    ^C

[Timed out so I pressed Ctrl+c]

C:\>
    C:\>
    C:\>cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /dstatusall

SKU ID: 1f76e346-e0be-49bc-9954-70ec53a4fcfe
    LICENSE NAME: Office 14, OfficeStandard-MAK edition
    LICENSE DESCRIPTION: Office 14, RETAIL channel
    LICENSE STATUS: ---UNLICENSED---
    ERROR CODE: 0xC004F014
    ERROR DESCRIPTION: The Software Licensing Service reported that the product key is not available.
    SKU ID: 9da2a678-fb6b-4e67-ab84-60dd6a9c819a
    LICENSE NAME: Office 14, OfficeStandard-KMS_Client edition
    LICENSE DESCRIPTION: Office 14, VOLUME_KMSCLIENT channel
    LICENSE STATUS: ---NOTIFICATIONS---
    ERROR CODE: 0xC004F056
    ERROR DESCRIPTION: The Software Licensing Service reported that the computer could not be activated using the Key Management Service (KMS).
    Last 5 characters of installed product key: 8R6BM [I forgot to mention this was installed as an upgrade from Office 2003. I don't know if that matters]
    SKU ID: dd457678-5c3e-48e4-bc67-a89b7a3e3b44
    LICENSE NAME: Office 14, OfficeStandardAcad-MAK edition
    LICENSE DESCRIPTION: Office 14, RETAIL channel
    LICENSE STATUS: ---UNLICENSED---
    ERROR CODE: 0xC004F014
    ERROR DESCRIPTION: The Software Licensing Service reported that the product key is not available.
    ---Exiting-----------------------------

Friday, July 15, 2011 9:08 PM
  • This is the name of the ISO that was downloaded SW_DVD5_Office_2010_W32_English_MLF_X16-51904.ISO.  From what I understand we have a Select license.  Will this version work with a Select license or does it have to be EA?
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:30 PM
  • The next step is to verify what kind of product key you have (oops, you're right, you shouldn't paste keys on the forum... I should've mentioned that).  Could you please download the VAMT 2.0 tool?  If you enter your key in the product keys area, it will identify what kind of key it is:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=11936

Could you please paste the key description?

Do you have other product keys or downloads available on the website?  Basically what's happened is that the key and the product do not match.  I'm guessing you purchased Professional Plus, but you downloaded Office 2010 Standard.  You would need to download Professional Plus from VLSC.

Ted Way [MSFT], Program Manager, Microsoft Office: Enterprise Licensing, Group Policy, and 64-bit Office
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 3:02 AM
  • Sussex Family History: This doesn't seem to answer my question of why my product key is reported as invalid.  The disks definitely say Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 and the Product Key I found online matches the one on the disk.

The http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=11936 produces Website not found.

Sussex Family History
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:16 AM
  • Ted, thank you for your help.  We finally got to the bottom of the issue.  I hope this explanation makes sense.  Apparently there was a preview site my manager was using.  He had to switch to the regular site and lookup the product key.  He got different key that way, and the new key worked.
    • Marked as answer by David Wolters Monday, October 10, 2011 8:41 PM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:41 PM
  • For my similar problem I eventually found a UK telephone number and the Product Key on the CD and also quoted on the licence was checked and I was told was only for Outlook. Our Treasurer queried with our supplier (MicroSoft) and they said I should be using the MAK Product Key (which I had tried once, but it failed at that time). Since then I have successfully activated MSOffice Professional Plus on two laptops using the MAK Product Key.
    JE

Sussex Family History
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 11:20 AM