none
Clipboard Damaged Error Message copying Excel 2010 data to 2010 Access database (accdb)

Question

• Whenever I attempt to copy/paste data from a 2010 Excel spreadsheet into my 2010 Access Database (accdb) I receive a message stating "The data on the Clipboard is damaged, so Microsoft Access can't paste it.  There may be an error in the Clipboard, or there may not be enough free memory.  Try the operation again." 

I have tried the workaround noted in the knowledge base using the "paste from Clipboard function" without success.  I use this function daily and sometimes for hundreds of rows of data at a time.  I have used the copy/paste function between Excel and Access for 3 years without a problem, but since I upgraded to Office 2010, I have experienced this problem.  Is there another work around or a hotfix for this specific problem? 

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:41 PM

Answers

• Hi

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

This issue occurred in Excel 2007 and was caused by the security updates for Excel 2007.

I would like to confirm when this issue began to occur. Have you installed any software or updates recently? Also, are you using both Office 2007 and Office 2010, or only Office 2010?

If you installed any updates for Office, please uninstall them and check the results again.

From you description, you have tried the workaround, but it doesn’t work. I would suggest you try to work with office safe mode, because corrupted add-ins also can cause the same issue. You can refer the following link:

http://office.microsoft.com/client/helppreview14.aspx?AssetId=HP010354300&lcid=1033&NS=EXCEL&Version=14&tl=2&respos=0&CTT=1&queryid=2cf59355%2Dda4e%2D417d%2D80b7%2D4307257d9d96

If working, please try to inactivate an Excel add-in the add-ins refer to:

Note: You don’t need to remove the add-ins.

http://office.microsoft.com/client/helppreview14.aspx?AssetId=HP010342658&lcid=1033&NS=EXCEL&Version=14&tl=2&respos=0&CTT=1&queryid=2b7b8c23%2D7776%2D4fbb%2D92a9%2Dd45976121fae

If all above no avail, try the workaround of “Close Excel”:

1.       Copy the data you need then close Excel.

2.       It will notice you if keep the data on the clipboard, Click yes.

3.       Paste it into Access.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely

Rex Zhang

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Monday, September 05, 2011 6:07 AM
  • Thank you, Rex Zhang, for your reply.  I will answer your basic questions first and then I will try the corrections and the “Close Excel” workaround that you suggest and let you know the outcome.

The Clipboard Damaged Error Message copying Excel 2010 data to 2010 Access database began in June 2011.  The laptop is my work laptop so the software loads and updates are therefore controlled internally.  All available Microsoft Office 2010 updates have been installed, as well as, related programs used in our business, such as Microsoft Lync.  In April 2011 my laptop was upgraded from Office 2007 to Office 2010 and Office 2010 is used now exclusively.  I cannot uninstall updates for Office because all software loads and updates are mandated by the company.

The only Excel Add-ins installed is Sharing Add-in for Microsoft Lync 2010.  There are no other Application Add-ins installed.  There are 4 Excel Add-ins that are installed but are Inactive:  1) Analyst ToolPak; 2) Analyst ToolPak – VBA; 3) Euro Currency Tool; and 4) Solver Add-in.

Since I cannot uninstall any updates or inactivate the Sharing Add-in for Microsoft Lync 2010, I will try the “Close Excel” workaround you recommended and let you know the results.

Again, thank you very much for your reply.  I will reply again after I have tried the “Close Excel” workaround.

BooDann

Suzanne M Lopez
    Tuesday, September 06, 2011 3:00 PM
  • Good Afternoon Rex Zhang,

I apologize for the delay in updating you on this issue.  I tried the "Close Excel" workaround and was successful in copying the data from the spreadsheet to Access.

Thank you very much for this workaround!

BooDann

Suzanne M Lopez
    • Marked as answer by BooDann Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:14 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:14 PM

All replies

• Hi

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

This issue occurred in Excel 2007 and was caused by the security updates for Excel 2007.

I would like to confirm when this issue began to occur. Have you installed any software or updates recently? Also, are you using both Office 2007 and Office 2010, or only Office 2010?

If you installed any updates for Office, please uninstall them and check the results again.

From you description, you have tried the workaround, but it doesn’t work. I would suggest you try to work with office safe mode, because corrupted add-ins also can cause the same issue. You can refer the following link:

http://office.microsoft.com/client/helppreview14.aspx?AssetId=HP010354300&lcid=1033&NS=EXCEL&Version=14&tl=2&respos=0&CTT=1&queryid=2cf59355%2Dda4e%2D417d%2D80b7%2D4307257d9d96

If working, please try to inactivate an Excel add-in the add-ins refer to:

Note: You don’t need to remove the add-ins.

http://office.microsoft.com/client/helppreview14.aspx?AssetId=HP010342658&lcid=1033&NS=EXCEL&Version=14&tl=2&respos=0&CTT=1&queryid=2b7b8c23%2D7776%2D4fbb%2D92a9%2Dd45976121fae

If all above no avail, try the workaround of “Close Excel”:

1.       Copy the data you need then close Excel.

2.       It will notice you if keep the data on the clipboard, Click yes.

3.       Paste it into Access.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely

Rex Zhang

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Monday, September 05, 2011 6:07 AM
  • Thank you, Rex Zhang, for your reply.  I will answer your basic questions first and then I will try the corrections and the “Close Excel” workaround that you suggest and let you know the outcome.

The Clipboard Damaged Error Message copying Excel 2010 data to 2010 Access database began in June 2011.  The laptop is my work laptop so the software loads and updates are therefore controlled internally.  All available Microsoft Office 2010 updates have been installed, as well as, related programs used in our business, such as Microsoft Lync.  In April 2011 my laptop was upgraded from Office 2007 to Office 2010 and Office 2010 is used now exclusively.  I cannot uninstall updates for Office because all software loads and updates are mandated by the company.

The only Excel Add-ins installed is Sharing Add-in for Microsoft Lync 2010.  There are no other Application Add-ins installed.  There are 4 Excel Add-ins that are installed but are Inactive:  1) Analyst ToolPak; 2) Analyst ToolPak – VBA; 3) Euro Currency Tool; and 4) Solver Add-in.

Since I cannot uninstall any updates or inactivate the Sharing Add-in for Microsoft Lync 2010, I will try the “Close Excel” workaround you recommended and let you know the results.

Again, thank you very much for your reply.  I will reply again after I have tried the “Close Excel” workaround.

BooDann

Suzanne M Lopez
    Tuesday, September 06, 2011 3:00 PM
  • Hi,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. Is the problem resolved? If there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards, 

Rex Zhang

Friday, September 09, 2011 1:07 AM
  • Good Afternoon Rex Zhang,

I apologize for the delay in updating you on this issue.  I tried the "Close Excel" workaround and was successful in copying the data from the spreadsheet to Access.

Thank you very much for this workaround!

BooDann

Suzanne M Lopez
    • Marked as answer by BooDann Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:14 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:14 PM
  • Hi Rex

It is now July 2012 and I am still getting the same error message as other users were reporting in September 2011. Your workaround, requiring us to close Excel every time I want to paste from Excel 2010 into Access 2010 does work, but having to do so every time I want to paste is counter-productive.

Is there any information about when the underlying bug will be fixed please, because we seem to have been relying on a workaround for a long time now.

thanks
    Paul

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 9:22 AM
  • Hello Paul,

Some copy & paste issues could be caused by third party add-ons or porgrams just like that mentioned in the following thread:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-excel/text-loses-formatting-when-i-use-cut-copy-paste/0371d013-1e5a-4d2b-874f-792d34d16c61

Can you help testing if the issue can be reproduced after you perform a clean boot in Windows:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Best regards,

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 05, 2012 1:32 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Rex.

I don't have Skype, which rules out the first suggested solution. The second suggested solution took a long time to follow through but did not identify any 3rd party service. For info,  the pc is running Windows 7, I am running Access and Excel 2010 but still have 2007 installed.

The 3rd party services on the machine were:

Adobe Acrobat Update service
    FLEXNet Licensing service
    NVidia display driver service
    NVidia Update service daemon
    And 6 assorted services from Sophos antivirus

Whilst the troubleshooting instructions did not identify any 3rd party service causing the Access paste error message about the clipboard contents being corrupt, I did notice that the fault only arose when I tried copying multiple rows. Copying single rows out of Excel never caused the error message to appear.

A technician has come up with an easier workaround to the problem. He installed Apache OpenOffice and got me to open my Excel spreadsheet in the Calc spreadsheet programme rather than Excel. This has solved the problem for me, in that Copy and Paste from my spreadsheets into Access now just works, without me having to keep closing and opening programs.

Thanks for your help
    Paul

Thursday, July 05, 2012 8:20 AM
  • Whenever I attempt to copy/paste data from a 2010 Excel spreadsheet into my 2010 Access Database (accdb) I receive a message stating "The data on the Clipboard is damaged, so Microsoft Access can't paste it.  There may be an error in the Clipboard, or there may not be enough free memory.  Try the operation again." 

I have tried the workaround noted in the knowledge base using the "paste from Clipboard function" without success.  I use this function daily and sometimes for hundreds of rows of data at a time.  I have used the copy/paste function between Excel and Access for 3 years without a problem, but since I upgraded to Office 2010, I have experienced this problem.  Is there another work around or a hotfix for this specific problem? 

I am getting this error as well. The work around of closing Excel is not a solution. This is on a fresh install of windows 7 x64 with office 2010. 

A solution from microsoft would be welcome. 

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:09 PM