none
Microsoft Word not accepting my Product Key, still says unlicensed version

Question

• So I did the trial of Microsoft Word, and after the trial, I paid for the full version. Now I put in the product key and it says its valid. But the program still says its unlicensed and it won't let me use it. What's the problem?
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 7:06 AM

Answers

• @Crakdkorn

Could you please follow the instructions below and paste the output?  At the step to enter your key, you will see whether you have a valid key.  Then when you run /act, you'll see if activation is successful.  If you try different keys and you're getting errors, then it may be a network issue.  It's important to paste the result of /act so I can see what the error code is when you try to activate.

Open anelevated command prompt

a. The path below is the default install path, so it may be different if you've customized your install

b. If you’re using 32b Office on a 64b OS, you may need to run it from the “Program Files (x86)” folder

c. Start, search for ‘cmd’, right click on the command prompt window and select “Run as administrator”

d. cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /dstatusall

Enter your key

a. cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /inpkey:<the key>

b. Include the dashes in the product key

Trigger activation

a. Launching an Office application will then prompt you for activation via the UI. Alternatively you can trigger it using this command:

b. cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /act

Check the status

a. The following command will show the licensing status. Alternatively in the Office UI you can view the status by clicking File, Help.

b. cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /dstatusall

Ted Way [MSFT], Program Manager, Microsoft Office: Enterprise Licensing, Group Policy, and 64-bit Office
    Wednesday, June 01, 2011 1:22 AM

All replies

• When you had installed the product key, did it prompt you to activate online?  Were there any error messages during this process, or did it tell you that you had activated successfully?

Which version of the software did you purchase?  Did you purchase Word by itself, or did you purchase a suite of products, such as Word, Excel, and PPT (e.g. Office Home & Student, Home & Business, Professional)?

If you reboot your computer, then start up Word, what do you see when you click the Help tab on the right side?  Does it say you are using a trial version of Word?

Ted Way [MSFT], Program Manager, Microsoft Office: Enterprise Licensing, Group Policy, and 64-bit Office
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 8:58 AM
  • Ted,

You asked these questions and the user did not reply.  If I might be so bold, as I have hit this wall myself, may I answer these questions as they pertain to me?

I have an MSDN enterprise license and this particular key is one that I activated just over a year ago.  I had to do an os reinstall to fix a wonky program with a funky license.  When I did so, oddly after installing Office 2010 Professional Plus, the program did not ask for activation.  Today, I opened MS WORD and the activation screen said I am unlicensed and have 4 days to activate (and it has probably been about six months since I reinstalled the OS - 11/20/2010).  The activation screen includes a place to re-enter (or put in new key) but there is no method available to tell it to activate.  I have tried several good keys and the keys all show up as invalid. I suppose that has some truth in certain circumstances, but for a enterprise MSDN license it should not have context.  Particularly as I tried a newly requested key and it provides the same error message regarding the key's validity.

Version is 14.0.5128.5000 (64 bit)   On the day I installed, I was testing an application under a different language bar.  I can't remember which language.  Possibly Czech or Finnish or French... etc (I was testing many that day).

I also tried to reinstall just now.  The activation key is accepted as valid before the installation (and the check box for automatic activation online is ticked).  I tried to reinstall a second time as well.  On both occasions it failed.  My network is an SBS 2011 network and I reinstalled the OS such that the SIDs and Profiles were maintained by the SBS 2011 PDC.

Perhaps it can be fixed by a complete uninstall of Office 2010, but I have never encountered such an odd circumstance.  And what is most odd is that at the top of the help screen it says the product is activated.  In the next paragraph it says the product activation required.  Am I looking too closely and misunderstanding the meaning of "the product is activated and needs to be activated" as a false positive?  I'm not sure whether to let it run the 4 day course or whether I should try to do something before it deactivates.

Any ideas?

R, J
    Sunday, May 29, 2011 3:05 PM
  • @Crakdkorn

Could you please follow the instructions below and paste the output?  At the step to enter your key, you will see whether you have a valid key.  Then when you run /act, you'll see if activation is successful.  If you try different keys and you're getting errors, then it may be a network issue.  It's important to paste the result of /act so I can see what the error code is when you try to activate.

Open anelevated command prompt

a. The path below is the default install path, so it may be different if you've customized your install

b. If you’re using 32b Office on a 64b OS, you may need to run it from the “Program Files (x86)” folder

c. Start, search for ‘cmd’, right click on the command prompt window and select “Run as administrator”

d. cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /dstatusall

Enter your key

a. cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /inpkey:<the key>

b. Include the dashes in the product key

Trigger activation

a. Launching an Office application will then prompt you for activation via the UI. Alternatively you can trigger it using this command:

b. cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /act

Check the status

a. The following command will show the licensing status. Alternatively in the Office UI you can view the status by clicking File, Help.

b. cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /dstatusall

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 1:22 AM
  • Once the four days passed, the message oddly went away. - Somehow there are two versions installed. 

Here is the cscript result:

---------------------------------------
    LICENSE NAME: Office 14, OfficeProPlus-MAK edition
    LICENSE DESCRIPTION: Office 14, RETAIL channel
    LICENSE STATUS:  ---UNLICENSED---
    ERROR CODE: 0xC004F014
    ERROR DESCRIPTION: The Software Licensing Service reported that the product key
    is not available.

AND

LICENSE NAME: Office 14, OfficeProPlus-Retail edition
    LICENSE DESCRIPTION: Office 14, RETAIL channel
    LICENSE STATUS:  ---LICENSED---
    ERROR CODE: 0 as licensed
    Last 5 characters of installed product key: QJRDD

Ran Inputkey script - and received the following:

Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights

---Processing--------------------------
    <Product key installation successful>
    ---Exiting-----------------------------

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14>

Best I can figure is that somehow during an installation an unlicensed MAK copy installed.  So I have two copies installed... one licensed and another unlicensed MAK version.

R, J
    Saturday, June 04, 2011 5:01 PM
  • It looks like you may have had a volume edition of Office installed at some time (that's where the MAK comes from) and a TechNet version (ProPlus retail).

Don't worry about the MAK entry... that's expected.  One way to think about this is that our products come with many keyholes.  You insert one key that fits into one keyhole, and that allows you to use the product.  The other keyholes are just reporting that they don't have any keys in them.

Regardless, it's good to know that you're not getting any more messages to activate, and that the "LICENSED" entry under ProPlus retail means you're all set.

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 2:18 AM
  • Ted,

I have had a similar problem.  I had to reinstall Office Pro 2010 because some files were corrupted and it would not allow me to repair with the DVD.  Now it will not accept my product key though it is only installed on 3 machines, the one with the problem being the 3rd machine.  I did all of your steps and did have to use Program Files (x86) to get it to work and the final error message I got was:

The activation server determined the specific product key has been blocked.

How do I fix this problem and get this program working correctly on this machine? 

It took me FOREVER to get it reinstalled because of all the registry issues that I had to fix.  I used Fix It to remove the software because it would not uninstall through Windows.

Sunday, September 01, 2013 11:44 PM