none
Outlook Printing Not Working, And crash when clicking file menu

Question

• Morning All,

I have 3 basic issues, that I believe are related.

We have Office 2010 Pro PLus installed on a 2003 R2 terminal server, and are having trouble with Outlook.

The First issue is that one of our users can not print anything from Outlook. When selecting a printer, it says there was some kind of error, and suggests we reinstall the printer and driver.

The odd thing, is that if she does the exact same process in another application such as Word or Excel, she can print no problem.

The second issue is one that I encountered when attempting to replicate the issue. I found that every time I clicked on the File menu in Outlook, it would crash and ask me to send/ dont send an error report and to restart outlook.

I could not find a fix for this so decided to recreate my mail profile. This is when I found the 3rd issue.

When attempting to create my new mail profile, after selecting yes to configure a mail account and clicking next, the exact same error message appears and asks me to send an error report and restart outlook.

The last two I feel are related, and perhaps something to do with trying to communicate with the exchange server for auto configuration, or finding the link for OWA when clicking file tab.

Has anyone come across any of these issues before? Can anyone offer any advice on resolutions to these problems.

Ideally we would like to steer clear of reinstalling Office to start with, as we have done this a couple of times previously, and it is very disruptive to our users.

Many thanks

Eds

Monday, March 12, 2012 9:46 AM

Answers

All replies

• The OutlPrnt file could be corrupted? (The file where Outlook keeps its printing style settings)

Try to rename this to .old while Outlook is closed (check taskmanager to see if its really closed ;)) You can locate the file her:

Windows Vista and Windows 7
    C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook\

Windows XP
    C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\

Let me know how it goes! :) Thanks

Monday, March 12, 2012 10:44 AM
  • Hi,

I have tried renaming the OutPrint file to OutPrnt.old, and then getting the user to restart outlook, but this has not made a difference.

Is it worth deleting, or moving the file somewhere else and then reopening outlook?

Many thanks
    Regards

Eds

EDIT: I should say, reopen outlook, rather than restart. They had outlook closed when I renamed the file.
    • Edited by Eds1989 Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:25 AM Mispoke
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:24 AM
  • I have just redone the above proceedure mentioned by amit79.

This time, what I have done, is to get the user to close outlook, rename the old file to dummy file, reopen outlook, go to the print menu, define styles and just press ok, and that seemed to create a new OutlPrnt file.

I have now asked the user to keep an eye on it, to see if the issue persists.

Hopefully, the creation of a new file will do the job.

Regards

Eds

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:22 AM
  • Another user started complaining of the same issue, not being able to print to any printer from within Outlook.

We restarted the print spooler service, which seemed to solve the problem, and he could then print. The original user with the problem is currently out on holiday, so we are waiting for her to return to see if she also still has the issue.

Regards

Eds

Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:38 AM
  •  

Hi ,

It is a Outlook issue.

I recommend you post it on Office Forum to get special support.

Outlook IT Pro Discussions:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/outlook/threads

Wendy Liu

TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 16, 2012 5:37 AM
  • HI Eds, i hope your systems are patched up to date with MS patches :-) and using the correct printer driver.

Thanks

Friday, March 16, 2012 6:21 AM
  • Hi, I think we are pretty much up to date.

There may be a couple of updates left to install, but not a huge amount.

As for printer drivers, again, pretty sure we are using the correct drivers. As it is afecting all printers in Outlook, I hadnt considered printer drivers.

I will go and double check we are all up to date and report back.

@wendy_liu

Thanks for the suggestion, I will post this question there also.

Many thanks

Eds

Friday, March 16, 2012 11:54 AM
  • so what the update ??
    Monday, March 19, 2012 2:23 PM
  • We seem to be all up to date.

I think the next step will have to be for us to attempt a reinstall when the server is a bit quiter.

Many thanks
    Eds

Monday, March 19, 2012 2:45 PM
  •  

Hi ,

It is a Outlook issue.

I recommend you post it on Office Forum to get special support.

Outlook IT Pro Discussions:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/outlook/threads

Wendy Liu

TechNet Community Support

Hi Wendy,

Posted there also, but have still come up with no solutions.

I will report back if I ever get this sorted.

Thanks

Eds

Monday, April 02, 2012 11:46 AM