none
2003 Microsoft Office Document Imaging says, "No compatible scanner found. Please install a scanner."

Question

• I installed my Microsoft Office 2003 on my laptop and it says, "No compatible scanner found. Please install a scanner." I have an hp deskjet 4240 All-in-One and the scanner works fine with other programs on my laptop but I need to scan something in Office Document Imaging. My laptop has Windows 7 Home Premium. How can I solve the problem?

Patricia Marie

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please check whether the Office 2003 SP3 is installed. Based on my research, the workaround is:

With Office 2003 SP2 installed (if you don't have it, you will need to uninstall Office, and install SP2), backup the folder named MODI under program files\common files\microsoft shared (unless you can locate another PC with Office 2003 SP2 where you can copy it from) - copy it to a temp folder for ex. Then upgrade to Office 2003 SP3 and subsequently rename the folder MODI_SP3 for ex and copy the SP2 MODI folder back.

Jaynet Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check whether the Office 2003 SP3 is installed. Based on my research, the workaround is:

With Office 2003 SP2 installed (if you don't have it, you will need to uninstall Office, and install SP2), backup the folder named MODI under program files\common files\microsoft shared (unless you can locate another PC with Office 2003 SP2 where you can copy it from) - copy it to a temp folder for ex. Then upgrade to Office 2003 SP3 and subsequently rename the folder MODI_SP3 for ex and copy the SP2 MODI folder back.

Jaynet Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:43 AM
  • I've had the same problem for months across a number of machines. My computer worked but some others didn't. None of the solutions about copying the MODI files from SP2 installations or working installations fixed it. Reloading Office only worked for about a day before the problem reappeared.
    Renaming the Canon scanner registry value because it was too long didn't work either.

Finally today after running procmon it showed that the file msvcp71.dll couldn't be found. I copied the file from C:\system 32 on my computer to c:\system 32 folder on the other computer and sure enough the scanners all display in the scanner list now.

- This was on XP but there might be a similar file on Windows 7.

Friday, May 18, 2012 1:32 PM