none
Some Outlook Contacts Do Not Display Correctly According To Their "File As" Selection

Question

• We've noticed an issue with Contacts that affects Outlook (2003 / 2007 / 2010).  The problem has occurred in both Windows XP and Windows 7, and we believe synchronization with or editing the contacts on mobile devices could be causing it.  I wanted to find out if there are better workarounds other than changing and resaving each problematic contact in Outlook.  The users experiencing problems synchronize Outlook with their Androids, iPhones, or iPads.

For my example, one user prefers to keep some contacts arranged via "File as:" by Last, First, even if the Company field is filled in.  Some contacts are arranged via "File as:" by Company, while others are arranged by Company (Last, First).  Some of the Company (Last, First) contacts display correctly in the Contacts view, regardless of whether the Current View is set for Address Cards or Business Card.  The contacts that have problems only show Last, First at the top of the contact, even though opening the contact reveals the "File as:" field is configured as Company (Last, First).  To correct this, it takes changing the "File as:" field to another option, saving it, then changing it back to Company (Last, First) and saving it, again.

Since some users experiencing this problem have thousands of contacts, is there an easy way to correct the ones not displaying correctly, or do they all have to be edited manually?

Thanks!

Friday, December 09, 2011 1:25 AM

Answers

•  

Hello,

At this point, I do not see any other options that can be accomplished through this forum posting.  The next steps will most likely include gathering logs, and debug data for analysis.  In order to properly track this issue and to updated you on the progress of the request, please open a support case with us. For details on doing so, please see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone.

When you open the case, please include the URL to this thread so that the technician can be aware of the details we discussed.  Thank you for providing all of these details.  I hope that we can find a solution for you.  Once you get an answer from that case, be sure to update this thread for others to see what the outcome was.

Thank you,

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 10:37 PM

All replies

•  
    Hi, 
    For Outlook 2010, you can try to use Apply Current View To Other Contact Folders change current view to other views.
    To change default File As format: File -> Options-> Contact options

You can use VBA to programmatically change the File As field for a large number of existing contacts.
    More detailed information you can refer to following link, hope this helpful:
    “How to Change the File As Field for All Contacts”

“How to Change the File As Field for All Contacts”
    To help eliminate errors, we have text files containing the VBA code samples available. To use, open the text file and Select all (Ctrl+A), copy then paste into the VBA editor. To save to your computer, right-click and choose 'Save Target as'.
    Original code - change contacts in default folder | Change contacts in selected folder
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best regards
    William Zhou
    Forum Support
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com
    Monday, December 12, 2011 5:53 AM
  • Hi,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. Is the problem resolved? If there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards, 

William Zhou

Forum Support

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:33 AM
  • Hi William,

Actually, I don't want to apply the change to every contact, as I already found a third-party utility that is capable of this.  My main problem is the original contact that was manually configure to display as Company (Last, First) doesn't.  Please see the items in the red rectangles below to see what I'm talking about.  This seems more like a bug.

Best Regards,

Stephen Salazar

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:14 PM
  • Hello

Thank you for your post.

This is a quick note to let you know that we are performing research on this issue.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards, 

William Zhou

Forum Support

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 5:48 AM
  • Hi Stephen,

Unfortunately there is not a way to selectively target the affected Contacts as described. It will be a manual process.

Regards,

HARVEYY - [MSFT]

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:57 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

As I have not heard from you for several days. I will go ahead and close this thread. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply to us and this thread will be re-opened.

Best Regards, 

William Zhou
    Forum Support

William Zhou CHN

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 1:41 AM
  • My feeling was that it looked more like a bug than something that required manual editing.  I was interested in what could be causing the problem.

Thanks!

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 1:58 AM
  •  

Hello,

At this point, I do not see any other options that can be accomplished through this forum posting.  The next steps will most likely include gathering logs, and debug data for analysis.  In order to properly track this issue and to updated you on the progress of the request, please open a support case with us. For details on doing so, please see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone.

When you open the case, please include the URL to this thread so that the technician can be aware of the details we discussed.  Thank you for providing all of these details.  I hope that we can find a solution for you.  Once you get an answer from that case, be sure to update this thread for others to see what the outcome was.

Thank you,

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 10:37 PM
  • Stephen I'm curious as to what the name of your third party utility as it might be very helpful to me.

Thank You

Kathy

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 7:16 PM
  • Hi Kathy,

It's been a while, but I believe it's FileAsSorter, which can be found here:

http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/raj/FileAs.html

Stephen

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 9:27 PM
  • Hi William

Stephen has the "bug?" clearly indicated on the screenshot (Red squares)

I am running W7 (32bit) and Outlook 2010 with the same issue

1. I syncronise Contacts with "ShareO" plug-in to another Outlook
    2. Every time a contact is edited on one Outlook, it changes the other Outlook DisplayAs
    3. I Manually fix it, but next synch it is wrong again

Any progress on this??

Allen

(16 May 2012)

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 8:57 AM
  • My boss is having relatively the same problem.

He has to go through manually and switch the File As:, save it, switch the File As back, and save it.

The odd thing is, its only the names beginning with "C" that screw up.

Thanks,

Bob

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:45 PM
  • Once Outlook dataa gets modified by a 3rd party process, what occurs is outside the control of outlook and is not something that  would be classified as an "Outlook bug". There are some very specific rules that need to be followed and "how" underlying Outlook data gets updated depends on "how" it's done by the software updating the data.

Some real time examples of how the same data can be updated with one approach causing a problem but another approach ending with things being as expected can be viewed in the following video

Outlook sync issues - that aren't
    http://www.contactgenie.com/blog/?p=553

The above is certainly not meant to be complete and cover every conceivable possibility - just to highlight how "simple" it is for things to get messed up. Analogy is any program that incorrectly updates the underlying data files to an accounting system and then blame the accounting system for not reporting the "right numbers" - no different with Outlook and it's underlying data that gets changed.

Karl Timmermans - The Claxton Group
    Outlook Import/Export Hints/Tips
    Contact import/export/data management tools for Outlook '2000/2010 - ContactGenie.com

Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:22 AM