none
Excel file corrupt after saving to another disk

Question

• I have two PCs at home.: A laptop running Win-7 64-bit, and a desktop running Win-7 32-bit.  Both are running Office 2010.  Often, but not always, when I save an Excel workbook from one PC onto a shared hard drive on my home network and then try to open it on the other PC, the other PC displays the "file appears corrupt, would you like Excel to try to recover/repair?" message when I try to open the file.  This also happens sometimes when saving to a thumb-drive and attempting to open it on a non-connected laptopn running XP and Ofice 2007.  Most times, Excel successfully repairs/recovers the file without issue.  Infrequently, it doesn't repair everything.  Today it failed completely and was unable even to open the file on another PC.  I've tried various methods to copy the file.  I've experienced the problem when I use Windows Explorer to copy the file from one disk to the other, and also when using both DOS COPY and XCOPY commands.  The issue occurs with many, but not every Excel file I copy.  And it doesn't happen every time - only sometimes.  It seems to occur more frequently with certain specific files, and and rarely or never happens with specific other files.  It occurs in both directions (i.e. with both the 64-bit Win-7 machine as the "source" machine and with the 32-bit Win-7 machine as the source machine.)  All of the files I have problems with are .xlsm files.  I have not tried to confirm that it happens only with .xlsm files.  It doesn't seem to matter if the destination file is being overwritten, or if it is being created from scratch by the copy source.  I'm baffled.  Any suggestions as to why this is happening?  How I can prevent it?  Thanks.
    Friday, June 08, 2012 6:33 PM

Answers

• Just to "close out" this thread ...

I've concluded that the issue is with Office 2010 and, perhaps connected to the firmware in the disk controller in the Verbatim external disk I'm using.  Verbatim tech support told me I could fix the problem by fomatting the HDD.  But it's a 1TB drive!  It would take me a week to copy all the data to somewhere else, format the disk, and restore the data.  I declined that option.  :-(

The issue occurs ONLY when an Office-2010 XML-type file (Excel or Word - I haven't tried PowerPoint or other type files) is saved to a local disk and then copied (using Windows Explorer or a DOS COPY or ROBOCOPY command) to the external disk.  On the other hand, if I use the Office application (Excel or Word) to save the file directly to the external disk, then I have no problems.  Andf if that saved file is subsequently copied from the external disk, using any copy method of your choice, back to a local hard disk; then I have no problem.  Apps other than MS Office 2010 can save files to the local disk, which files can be copied to the external disk and opened from there without issue.  It is ONLY the Office 2010 files saved to a local disk and subsequently copied to the external disk which exhibit this issue.

So, I've learned to save my Office files directly to the external disk as the master copy.  And I haven't encountered the problem since.  Frustrating.  But then again, workarounds often end up saving the day.

Thanks for all the help from this forum.

• Marked as answer by CharlieWright Thursday, December 20, 2012 9:23 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 9:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The Office 2010 you used on both computers are 32-bit or 64 bit?

There are some differences between Office 32 bit and 64 bit.

For more information, please refer to the link:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/choose-the-32-bit-or-64-bit-version-of-microsoft-office-HA010369476.aspx

Jaynet Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 11, 2012 8:01 AM
  • My mistake.  I probably (unintentionally) misrepresented the problem.  The issue is not the result of saving the file to another disk.  It occurs when I COPY the file to another disk.  As noted, it occurs whether using Windows Explorer to copy the file or using DOS COPY and XCOPY.

I don't understand how the Office version (i.e. 32- or 64-bit) should affect the issue since I would expect the two versions to be compatible - at least in terms of each being able to successfully open a file saved by the other.

In any event, I didn't find any useful information in the above link and remain at a dead-end.

I give up.

Monday, June 18, 2012 3:49 PM
  • In such situation one of possible ways might be recover Excel damaged files by viruses, power failures, system errors, incorrect user actions and etc.

Utility supports almost all existing formats of excel files *.xls, *,xlt, *.xlsx, xlsm, *.xltm, *.xltx, *.xlam.

Monday, October 08, 2012 7:23 PM
  • Just to "close out" this thread ...

I've concluded that the issue is with Office 2010 and, perhaps connected to the firmware in the disk controller in the Verbatim external disk I'm using.  Verbatim tech support told me I could fix the problem by fomatting the HDD.  But it's a 1TB drive!  It would take me a week to copy all the data to somewhere else, format the disk, and restore the data.  I declined that option.  :-(

The issue occurs ONLY when an Office-2010 XML-type file (Excel or Word - I haven't tried PowerPoint or other type files) is saved to a local disk and then copied (using Windows Explorer or a DOS COPY or ROBOCOPY command) to the external disk.  On the other hand, if I use the Office application (Excel or Word) to save the file directly to the external disk, then I have no problems.  Andf if that saved file is subsequently copied from the external disk, using any copy method of your choice, back to a local hard disk; then I have no problem.  Apps other than MS Office 2010 can save files to the local disk, which files can be copied to the external disk and opened from there without issue.  It is ONLY the Office 2010 files saved to a local disk and subsequently copied to the external disk which exhibit this issue.

So, I've learned to save my Office files directly to the external disk as the master copy.  And I haven't encountered the problem since.  Frustrating.  But then again, workarounds often end up saving the day.

Thanks for all the help from this forum.

• Marked as answer by CharlieWright Thursday, December 20, 2012 9:23 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 9:23 PM