none
The action cannot be completed. The Connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.

Question

• Referencing this post: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officeinstall/thread/806264c9-2052-499f-a68c-ad4a24539af3

Problem: Exchange account has been setup correctly on Windows 7 (64bit) Outlook 2007 connected to 2003 Exchange server. Username is correct, entering the correct password and pressing enter the login screen closes and reopens looping forever. If I hit cancel I get the errors below::: (All other installations/setups have been succesful on all the other computers here at the office)

The action cannot be completed. The Connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.

Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The file C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook1.ost is not an offline folder file.

Your server or mailbox names cannot be resolved.The name cannot be resolved. The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.
    I have reinstalled Outlook several times. With no avail. I can sign into the account OWA web access no problem.

Thanks for your help,
    Spunky844

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 7:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Form your description, I understand that you got the error “The action cannot be completed. The Connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. outlook must be online or connected to complete this action” when you try to log in with Outlook. For this issue, I want to clarify the following information before we go further:

1.    Is there any other person got the same issue with you?

2.    What is protocol you used on your Outlook, RPC over HTTP or any other protocol?

a.    If you use RPC over HTTP, I suggest you use this tool to do a test, If there is any error, please paste here in your next post.

Exchange Remote Connectivity Analyzer

https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/

b.    If you are using MAPI or any other protocols, please check the firewall setting on your computer, disable firewall and anti-virus software to have a try.

3.    As you can sign into via OWA, this may problem on your Outlook. Please recreate the profile to have a try.

4.    Please check the event log on your desktop, if there is any error, please paste here in your next post.

Here is a related article for you, hope it helps:

Error messages when you try to connect Outlook 2007 to Exchange Server: "The action cannot be completed" or "Your Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable" or "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913843/en-us

If the problem still exists, please help me to collect the information at your convenience, with the information, we can help you more efficiently.

Thanks,

Evan

Monday, November 01, 2010 1:29 AM

All replies

• What happens when you delete the Outlook profile and re-create it?

Alexei

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 8:29 PM
  • Hi,

Form your description, I understand that you got the error “The action cannot be completed. The Connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. outlook must be online or connected to complete this action” when you try to log in with Outlook. For this issue, I want to clarify the following information before we go further:

1.    Is there any other person got the same issue with you?

2.    What is protocol you used on your Outlook, RPC over HTTP or any other protocol?

a.    If you use RPC over HTTP, I suggest you use this tool to do a test, If there is any error, please paste here in your next post.

Exchange Remote Connectivity Analyzer

https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/

b.    If you are using MAPI or any other protocols, please check the firewall setting on your computer, disable firewall and anti-virus software to have a try.

3.    As you can sign into via OWA, this may problem on your Outlook. Please recreate the profile to have a try.

4.    Please check the event log on your desktop, if there is any error, please paste here in your next post.

Here is a related article for you, hope it helps:

Error messages when you try to connect Outlook 2007 to Exchange Server: "The action cannot be completed" or "Your Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable" or "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913843/en-us

If the problem still exists, please help me to collect the information at your convenience, with the information, we can help you more efficiently.

Thanks,

Evan

Monday, November 01, 2010 1:29 AM
  • I know this is an old thread but I found a resolution for the issue that hasn't been mentioned ANYWHERE on the web.  My coworkers and I spent all morning chasing this issue with little success.  Every solution online did not fix our problem.

We had random Windows XP users that were unable to connect to Outlook 2010 (same error mentioned above).  They could connect to OWA just fine but Outlook would not start.  We attempted to delete the Outlook profile from Control Panels > Mail but were unable to recreate the account after deletion.  Deleting the .OST files did not resolve the issue either.

The final fix was to log into the Exchange 2010 Server and make sure the "Microsoft Exchange Address Book" Service was running.  As soon as we started that service, all XP users were able to successfully connect to Exchange 2010 through Outlook 2010.

• Proposed as answer by Mstrong7 Friday, September 14, 2012 2:49 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:19 PM
  • Following on your heels ccasey6, I wanted to let you know your solution worked for me.  I'd already spent an hour or two looking into it.  Who knows how much time you saved me.  Thanks again!

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 8:38 PM
  • Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Oh did I say Thank you!

Monday, June 18, 2012 3:52 PM
  • You ROCK!  This was causing all sorts of troubles for me and this fixed it.  Thanks.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:56 PM
  • Worked for me too.  Thanks casey
    Thursday, August 02, 2012 8:26 PM
  • CCasey,

Thanks for posting this, saved me a lot of time since I've been wondering why my users (regardless of OS) suddenly couldn't connect for a new accout while old accounts worked.  I had tested AutoDiscover and that all came back fine but it seemed like the user could just never authenticate although OWA worked fine.  Makes sense now that it was the Exchange Address Book service since it meant Outlook wouldn't be able to look up that user.

Friday, September 14, 2012 2:49 PM
  • Another chiming in with much thanks.  I spent days troubleshooting this issue and yours is the only instance I've seen of this resolution.
    Tuesday, October 02, 2012 4:54 PM
  • Could you walk me through this process?
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:18 PM
  • Go to Administration Tools and open the "Services" tool.

(You could also enter services.msc in the search box and press enter.)

Find the Exchange Address Book service and start it.

You can configure it to start automatically if you want.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Sunday, October 28, 2012 5:10 PM
  • I don't see the "Exchange Address Book" in the MS Exchange 2007. Please help...
    Thursday, November 08, 2012 7:40 AM
  • I had been getting this error for a while and had resolved to using OWA because nothing I tried worked. After reading this, I had my outlook profile setup within 30 seconds. THANK YOU.

Friday, March 15, 2013 4:24 PM
  • I had a user who started getting "The action cannot be completed.  The connection to Microsoft exchange is unavailable outlook must be online or connected to complete this action."

This was one user out of about 500.

She was in Office 2007.  I tried creating a new profile, and tried Online Mode instead of Cached Exchange Mode.  Neither helped.  I upgraded her to Office 2010, and it still didn't work.

I resolved the issue by completely removing Office and then reinstalling Office 2010.  Outlook started working just fine, so I believe the issue must have been within office somewhere, but where?

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 4:37 PM
  • yup sorted it for me too now to find out why the global address list is not updating on client machines!!
    Monday, July 15, 2013 3:45 PM
  • i tried this step but i can't find Exchange Address Book on the services. Does this also work with Outlook 2007?

Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:14 AM
  • Do i have to go to the server machine to go to run the exchange address book? or is it something that i do on my local PC?
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:19 AM
  • The final fix was to log into the Exchange 2010 Server and make sure the "Microsoft Exchange Address Book" Service was running.  As soon as we started that service, all XP users were able to successfully connect to Exchange 2010 through Outlook 2010.

Ohhh boy..!! You're just a legend and you saved my Stag weekend. Thank you so much.  

Bhasha

Friday, October 25, 2013 9:39 AM
  • You deserve a medal, this sorted out our issue! Thank you!
    Friday, November 15, 2013 7:09 AM
  • Let me also say "You Rock"!!!!  Solved my issue.  We had stopped the AB service a couple weeks ago when we had AB issues in 2003 as a "Just in case" and had not restarted it.  Thanks much!!!

RJ

Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:10 PM
  • i have the same issue with exchange 2007 but there is no Microsoft Exchange Address Book  Service, does it has another name in 2007 or it is not exist
    Sunday, November 17, 2013 2:53 PM
  • I hardly provide feedback (I know should contribute) but you are the man!!! this fixed the issue. Thank you sir.
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 12:49 AM
  • *** CCasey ***

Saturday, December 07, 2013 3:03 PM
  • Hi,

thanks ...its working

This is mostly happens when applied patches which microsoft relesed, same we have pased in our company.Whenever the patches update we will confirm ourself of services are running.If anyone knows please let me know why it happpens everytime..............

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 4:55 AM
  • I am so excited to try your fix but what if Exchange Address Book is not listed under services?  Is there another name it may be named?  
    Friday, January 24, 2014 7:27 PM
  • Did you ever figure this out?  I'm stuck at the same step...
    Friday, January 24, 2014 7:28 PM
  • Did you ever figure this out?  I am not seeing Exchange Address Book under services either.  
    Friday, January 24, 2014 7:28 PM
  • "Microsoft Exchange Address Book"
    Monday, January 27, 2014 9:48 PM
  • Is there service in Exchange 2013 like Microsoft Exchange Address Book
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:55 AM
  • I have outlook 2013 and am trying to add an exchange 2010 multi-tenant account.
    I have created a new profile.
    I select Manual setup or additional server types
    Thens select Microsoft Exchange Server or compatible service

I enter the server settings. But the following error is returned when i click check name

"The action cannot be completed. The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. outlook must be online or connected to complete this action"

I have tried selecting more settings, selecting security, and then selecting the option:- Always propt for logon credentials.

But the same error is still returned

I tried unselecting the option Encrypt data between Microsoft outlook and Microsoft Exchange

But still continue to get the same error.

I have tried restarting the Microsoft Exchange Address book service under services on the exchange server.

But this did not help either

i am able to access the email accout via outlook web access. I am also able to add the email account to my iphone with the server details and it adds fine onto my iphone but cannot add it to outlook 2013.
    any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rehan Miah
    Monday, March 24, 2014 11:13 PM
  • This problem bugged me for a long time. I tried every possible solution: Delete and recreate Outlook User Profile, Reinstalled Office, checked server services etc. Nothing worked. Finally I found out the solution to this! I created a fresh new Windows User Profile and it solved my problem. Its a little hassle to transfer all your data to a new user account but that was the only way for me.
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:34 AM
  • Great!!! and Thank very much.....My problem is solved instantly after starting the service "Microsoft Exchange Address Book"

What Problem I was facing.....?

While configuring account (Windows 7 64 bit, Microsoft Outlook 2010 32 bit) from Control Panel>Mail setup Outlook, it generated the same following error:

"The action cannot be completed. The Connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. outlook must be online or connected to complete this action"

I was trying to figure out this problem for last two days...but no other solution(s) worked except the one mentioned above.

Thursday, April 10, 2014 10:09 AM
  • You sir, are awesome. Why is this buried? Why is this the only thread I could find that actually solved my problem? Thank you and I can only hope that more people are able to find this solution to help fix this issue. 

THE TRUE ANSWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monday, May 12, 2014 5:23 PM
  • Where do I find this? This is driving me crazy!!!!! 
    Tuesday, July 01, 2014 3:18 AM
  • Thanks for this post. I have been working on the same issue for 2 days. Then I found this and sure enough the service was off. Started the service and everything was fine.
    Thursday, August 14, 2014 12:58 PM
  • Hi,

I am facing exactly all the same issues which you faced but my server is Exchange Online....! So anyone can help me please???

Cordially,

S.Vasanthkumar

Monday, August 18, 2014 6:52 AM
  • Hello,

We have the same issue on Exchange 2013, the there is no Microsoft Exchange Address book in the services.

does this fix apply to Exchange 2013??

thank you

Thursday, September 04, 2014 1:02 PM
  • This saved my day.... I went about starting exchange serviceS that really DIDN'T matter... but once I started this specific one voila!!!! KUDOS :-)
    Sunday, September 07, 2014 11:41 AM