none
Microsoft Office 2007 Professional - Crashes when you try to "Save As"

Question

• When ever you click the office logo -> save as -> and as soon as you move the mouse over to the right to select a "save as" option, the office application will crash and you get the standard Microsoft erro message.

This applies to ALL Office 2007 applications (word, excel, power point etc.)

It isnt stopping me from saving my applications using the "save" Icon, it just means i cant save me file in a different version.

The Office was installed about a month ago, and auto updates have been turned off all the time. The problem has only just occurred.

Have re-installed Office twice now, each time deleting the Microsoft Office folder in the "Program Files" Directory, but no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this issue??

Many thanks

- David
    Tuesday, August 05, 2008 10:20 AM

All replies

• well down graded to office 2003 and the problem doesnt occur anymore...

Would still like some suggestions on fixing the problem tho.
    Wednesday, August 06, 2008 2:28 PM
  • This issue is currently plaguing several systems in my company.  The common factor thus far is the inistall of office 2007 then reinstall.  Afterwords, any office application crashes upon clicking "Save As".

Patches... no effect.
    Safe Mode..... no effect.
    Uninstall / install.... no effect.

Any ideas?
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 5:29 PM
  •  Dane Jones wrote:
    This issue is currently plaguing several systems in my company.  The common factor thus far is the install of office 2007 then reinstall.  Afterwords, any office application crashes upon clicking "Save As".

Patches... no effect.
    Uninstall / install.... no effect.

Any ideas?

I am having a very similar issue - All office applications crash on Save or Save As under the following circumstances.

No events in the Application Event Log!!!!!

Patches... no effect.
    Uninstall / install.... no effect. - even after completely removing all office keys from the KHLM and HKCU from registry.

Saving a new Document
    Saving Changes to an existing document
    AutoSave - works
    Close and save changes works - sometimes.

Also - Outlook crashes periodically for no apparent reason

File Open - Crashes also
    Double Clicking a file however, opens fine.

the only revferences I have been able to find are the uninstall - reinstall and remove Add-Ons - these do not work.

Short of wiping the Hard Drive and re-imaging I have no ideas.  And re-imaging is not a solution it is a cop-out.
    Monday, December 01, 2008 5:48 PM
  • And there I was, blaming this company-generated, super-strange order form that I was trying to complete. I had all the symptoms you guys have detailed above. Should've known...

I found a fix -- that worked for me, at least. I describe it step-by-step below (for Vista and Office 2007), and provide the link to the Microsoft forum if you want to "validate" it.

1. Click on Start, and type 'regedit'; hit 'Enter'.
    2. Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Data.
    3. With the '...\Data' folder highlighted, click 'Edit > Delete', and click 'Yes'.
    4. Close the Registry Editor.
    5. Reopen Microsoft Word, and your problems should be solved. No restart necessary.
    Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940791

Hope it works for you, too.

-kms-
    • Proposed as answer by pdt1539 Thursday, December 18, 2008 1:31 PM
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 1:30 PM
  • Hi, I was having the same issue and tried everything that is posted anywhere. (Uninstall Office reinstall, do not install SP2 etc., disable Add Ins,...)

What worked:

*) Download procmon http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

*) Include only Word

*) Hit CTRL+S in word -> word will crash.

*) Look on the last things that happened before word accesses %windir%\system32\config\software.log

*) I could trigger a shell extions query for Macdrive 5 i had evaluated years ago which seems what not correct uninstalled. Reinstalled and uninstalled and the problem was gone

*) For testing You can easy disable/reanable shell extension with autoruns http://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/sysinternals/bb963902

BTW: Can you save files in Firefox? This didn't work either and was also fixxed.

kind regards,

mike

Friday, August 12, 2011 8:55 AM
  • It works!!!! Thanks a lot! This problem has bothered me for some months now. Can't express how grateful I am!

Regards Terje

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:40 AM
  • Hi mike,

I tried this but simply opening word and saving led to 31000 events. How do I diagnose the problem from this? I'm not computer-illiterate but this is far beyond what I know.

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Ben

Saturday, April 05, 2014 10:07 PM