none
Outlook 2010 64 bit Default email client

Question

• My 64 bit Outlook continually tell me that it is not the default email client when in fact it is the default email client. I went into registry and deleted a subkey for Outlook, forcing Outlook to start and ask me if Outlook was the default email client to which I answered yes. Never the less, I continually get asked the question every few minutes. The Outlook settings confirm that it is the default email client.  I am using Windows 7 64 bit with IE8. IE use to have a place to indicate the default mail program but it is lacking in 8. I'm wondering it that is the cause.

Chris Wilkerson, D.C.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:25 AM

Answers

• After reading this it now makes since...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681792(office.14).aspx

The recommendations for which edition of Office 2010 to install are as follows:

• If users in your organization depend on existing extensions to Office, such as ActiveX controls, third-party add-ins, in-house solutions built on previous versions of Office, or 32-bit versions of programs that interface directly with Office, we recommend that you install 32-bit Office 2010 (the default installation) on computers that are running both 32-bit and 64-bit supported Windows operating systems.
    • If some users in your organization are Excel expert users who work with Excel spreadsheets that are larger than 2 gigabytes (GB), they can install the 64-bit edition of Office 2010. In addition, if you have in-house solution developers, we recommend that those developers have access to the 64-bit edition of Office 2010 so that they can test and update your in-house solutions on the 64-bit edition of Office 2010.
    Monday, May 10, 2010 8:25 PM

All replies

• Go to Control panel, default programs and check the defaults for the Default programs (first link) and program access (last link).

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
    • Proposed as answer by Docu_Dale Wednesday, March 09, 2011 5:36 AM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:59 PM
  • i ve the same problem
    but with windows XP

set as Default mail client, but active sync or the button "send to mail ..." doesnt work.

i cant find this link in control panel?

go to Control panel, default programs and check the defaults for the Default programs (first link) and program access (last link).
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:09 AM
  • i ve the same problem
    but with windows XP

set as Default mail client, but active sync or the button "send to mail ..." doesnt work.

go to Control panel, default programs and check the defaults for the Default programs (first link) and program access (last link).

Are you using 64-bit windows xp? Active sync (and addins or utilities) will not work with the Outlook 2010 64-bit build.

Default programs is in Vista/Windows 7. In Windows XP look in Internet options, Programs tab for the default mail program.

Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 12:39 PM
  • I have had a similar problem - I am using Windows 7 64 bit. My Outlook 2010 works fine, except no programs can access it to send emails - I always get the message that no default email is installed. In control panel, I have used "set our default programs" to set outlook to do all it can by default, and I see all the various protocols are listed for it.

I do note that when I go "Set program access and computer defaults" under control panel, under "Choose a default email program" the button "Use my current email program" is always filled in. I can check the Microsoft Outlook box, but when I close and reopen the "Choose a default email program" it has again defaulted back to "Use my current email program."

Chuck
    Boca Raton, Florida
    • Proposed as answer by Murhaf1 Monday, December 19, 2011 10:58 AM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:25 AM
  • I have the exact same problem pretty much.... 

I'm running Windows 7 x64 - Office 2010 x64 versions... Everything functions perfectly save for the ever reappearing message telling me "Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client."

I really enjoy the new Office 2010 & would love to continue to beta test it. I'll put up with the error, seems if I just let 2 of them stay around then I don't get bothered again. Still it IS annoying and I've tried just about every fix available out there from deleting folders in regedit to deleting values to setting values to un-installing & re-installing Office both x64 & 32-bit versions... So I'm at a complete loss. Any input would be greatly appreciated! :)

Saturday, April 17, 2010 11:09 PM
  • Any idea what is bringing up the message? Addins and programs that access outlook data may not 'see' outlook and will need to be rewritten to use Outlook.

Outlook Daily Tips | Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter
    Sunday, April 18, 2010 2:32 AM
  • I'm having the same problem with Win7 x64 and Office 2010. Outlook 2010 is listed as default mail program but it continually keeps "other email program" listed even after I have selected "Outlook" multiple times. it becomes frustrating when trying to email directly from Acrobat because it's saying I don't have a default email program selected.
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 12:07 AM
  • Anyone have a resolution to this? Just installed the final release that came out today...

Something I've noticed since install Office Pro + 2010 x64, Logitech SetPoint crashes now... Wonder if the two are related... I see that when I re-enable SetPoint the messages returns...

• Edited by AaronDD Thursday, April 22, 2010 9:02 PM Added additional info
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 8:58 PM
  • Anyone have a resolution to this? Just installed the final release that came out today...

Something I've noticed since install Office Pro + 2010 x64, Logitech SetPoint crashes now... Wonder if the two are related... I see that when I re-enable SetPoint the messages returns...

Same here. I just installed the final RTM release and still have the issue. I've seen this message pop up with the PGP client and other applications that access this. I do not get this error with the 32-bit version. I was hoping this was fixed with the final release, but apparently, it still has not been addressed!
    Friday, April 23, 2010 5:15 PM

Same here. I just installed the final RTM release and still have the issue. I've seen this message pop up with the PGP client and other applications that access this. I do not get this error with the 32-bit version. I was hoping this was fixed with the final release, but apparently, it still has not been addressed!

It will never be fixed on the Office 2010 side of the equation.  It is the other applications that need to be updated to recognize a 64 bit version of Office 2010.  You will continue to see that error message when an app written to recognize a 32 bit version office is running on a machine with the 64 bit version of Office 2010.  Annoying though it may be, it does make sense if you think about it.  Those apps are looking for a 32 bit version of Office (meaning every other previous version since it became a native 32 bit app).  The 64 bit version is not installed in the same place as the 32 bit versions (past or present) and as a 64 bit app, all of its registry items are written in a different part of the system registry.  As far as other apps are concerned it, therefore, does not exist.  It is a reality of moving to 64 bit applications, whether they be from Microsoft or Adobe or anyone else.  Apps that are designed to work with a prior 32 bit version of another app are what need to be updated, not the other way around....

Stephen    

• Proposed as answer by Darkstar777 Saturday, August 25, 2012 6:32 AM
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 7:58 AM

It will never be fixed on the Office 2010 side of the equation.  It is the other applications that need to be updated to recognize a 64 bit version of Office 2010.  You will continue to see that error message when an app written to recognize a 32 bit version office is running on a machine with the 64 bit version of Office 2010.  Annoying though it may be, it does make sense if you think about it.  Those apps are looking for a 32 bit version of Office (meaning every other previous version since it became a native 32 bit app).  The 64 bit version is not installed in the same place as the 32 bit versions (past or present) and as a 64 bit app, all of its registry items are written in a different part of the system registry.  As far as other apps are concerned it, therefore, does not exist.  It is a reality of moving to 64 bit applications, whether they be from Microsoft or Adobe or anyone else.  Apps that are designed to work with a prior 32 bit version of another app are what need to be updated, not the other way around....

Stephen    

What a load of tosh....

There should at least be an advanced option to allow 64bit version show as 32bit to older programs.

So far...

Sage 50

Sage 200

Adobe v9

Not good!  This blocks me upgrading our clients to this product, not matter if it is not Microsoft Fault.

Nick Whittome - Microsoft MVP
    Friday, May 07, 2010 11:29 AM
  • It will never be fixed on the Office 2010 side of the equation.  It is the other applications that need to be updated to recognize a 64 bit version of Office 2010.  You will continue to see that error message when an app written to recognize a 32 bit version office is running on a machine with the 64 bit version of Office 2010.  Annoying though it may be, it does make sense if you think about it.  Those apps are looking for a 32 bit version of Office (meaning every other previous version since it became a native 32 bit app).  The 64 bit version is not installed in the same place as the 32 bit versions (past or present) and as a 64 bit app, all of its registry items are written in a different part of the system registry.  As far as other apps are concerned it, therefore, does not exist.  It is a reality of moving to 64 bit applications, whether they be from Microsoft or Adobe or anyone else.  Apps that are designed to work with a prior 32 bit version of another app are what need to be updated, not the other way around....

Stephen    

I totally understand what you are saying, but at the same time, why didn't Microsoft get together with their WMDC team and get the two updated at the same time?  Would have made sense, since MANY people are using Windows Mobile Phones, Windows 7 64Bit, and Office 2010 64Bit.  Three Microsoft Products that we all pay for that SHOULD play well together.   This is, afterall, 2010.

Edit: I'm still a BIG fan of Microsoft, but this should have been looked after already...  At this point, I'm beginning to think it's the WMDC team that is lacking. Afterall, it is installed on a 64Bit version of Windows 7.  Seems they should have created the 64Bit version of WMDC long ago, during Beta Testing of Win7 and Office 2010.

• Edited by SuperSport1966 Friday, May 07, 2010 3:10 PM Throwing WMDC Team Under Bus
    Friday, May 07, 2010 3:07 PM
  • After reading this it now makes since...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681792(office.14).aspx

The recommendations for which edition of Office 2010 to install are as follows:

• If users in your organization depend on existing extensions to Office, such as ActiveX controls, third-party add-ins, in-house solutions built on previous versions of Office, or 32-bit versions of programs that interface directly with Office, we recommend that you install 32-bit Office 2010 (the default installation) on computers that are running both 32-bit and 64-bit supported Windows operating systems.
    • If some users in your organization are Excel expert users who work with Excel spreadsheets that are larger than 2 gigabytes (GB), they can install the 64-bit edition of Office 2010. In addition, if you have in-house solution developers, we recommend that those developers have access to the 64-bit edition of Office 2010 so that they can test and update your in-house solutions on the 64-bit edition of Office 2010.
    Monday, May 10, 2010 8:25 PM
  • NeoRaZor hit the nail on the head.

In addition to the link he provided, please read http://blogs.technet.com/office2010/archive/2010/02/23/understanding-64-bit-office.aspx.

It helps to understand that this transition will allow developers to prepare their add-ins, etc. to work with 64-bit. It's a process that takes time and resources. In the meantime, for full compatibility, use 32-bit.

Abdias [MSFT]

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 5:46 PM
  • I have the same problem after installing Office 2010 64bit and found that Microsoft says (in my case) that they will NOT be updating Windows Mobile Device Center to improve compatibility with Outlook 2010 and will lose all my syncs with my Windows Mobile Phone. I really don't see how they cannot update the program. This is all Microsoft stuff and not 3rd part and really are screwing all us users. Why bother making  64 bit apps if you yourself won't properly support them...
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 11:32 AM
  • Again, the point being made in the blog is that the 64-bit version has been made available as a platform on which vendors can test/develop their addins as they either A) work to port existing versions to function with 64-bit applications or B) work to create new 64-bit capable addins. I can't speak for the Windows product group, but they may be doing the latter. Once all of these applications/add-ins that you need are either updated to be fully 64-bit compatible or new versions of these are built from the bottom, up, then you can install the 64-bit version.

With few exceptions, unless someone's a developer, they shouldn't need the 64-bit version of Office. I believe the setup process even warns about the fact that add-ins may not function as expected when choosing to "force" a 64-bit installation (I say force, since Office 2010 attempts to install 32-bit by default).

Abdias [MSFT]

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 6:05 PM
  • Again, the point being made in the blog is that the 64-bit version has been made available as a platform on which vendors can test/develop their addins as they either A) work to port existing versions to function with 64-bit applications or B) work to create new 64-bit capable addins. I can't speak for the Windows product group, but they may be doing the latter. Once all of these applications/add-ins that you need are either updated to be fully 64-bit compatible or new versions of these are built from the bottom, up, then you can install the 64-bit version.

With few exceptions, unless someone's a developer, they shouldn't need the 64-bit version of Office. I believe the setup process even warns about the fact that add-ins may not function as expected when choosing to "force" a 64-bit installation (I say force, since Office 2010 attempts to install 32-bit by default).

Abdias [MSFT]

So are we to understand that Microsoft has spent up all it R&D chasing Social "Butterflies" with Outlook 2010 instead of basic functionality like syncing with Outlook 2010 64bit with Smartphones?  Sounds like the cart before the horse.

Kokkos

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 7:54 PM
  • I wouldn't say they are chasing anything... What they are doing is working toward a making a better product that will take advantage of 64 bit architecture, in the near future...

And as "they say", if you want the bleeding edge of technology you will get cut... :)

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 8:40 PM
  • The solution for now is to uninstall the 64bit office and reinstall the 32 bit. After I did so every thing is syncing!!
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 7:01 PM
  • I think one or two more features were added, in addition to the Outlook Social Connector. Ability to search subfolders, Conversation View, actions on threads (such as Ignore), Quick Steps, meeting preview, MailTips (with Exchange Server 2010) one of many Exchange Server 2010 light-up features, and more...

Seriously though, getting back to the topic - the 64-bit story has been explained very well via Blogs, TechNet, and as stated earlier, even Office 2010 setup.

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]
    Outlook 2010 Beta Engineer

Monday, May 17, 2010 4:44 PM
  • NeoRaZor hit the nail on the head.

In addition to the link he provided, please read http://blogs.technet.com/office2010/archive/2010/02/23/understanding-64-bit-office.aspx.

It helps to understand that this transition will allow developers to prepare their add-ins, etc. to work with 64-bit. It's a process that takes time and resources. In the meantime, for full compatibility, use 32-bit.

Abdias [MSFT]

While I DO understand this, it just seems that with a measly $2.98 billion in profits for 3rd quarter last year and over a year of Beta Testing, that they could have dumped a million into this without hurting the bottom line too much.  :)   Just a thought from someone who makes a LITTLE less than that.
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 6:09 AM
  • My comments in this thread are meant to provide guidance to general users (not developers) that need to know whether to install 64-bit Office or not.

To address your comment, if you're referring to making WMDC work with 64-bit, a very large number of users would still have one or more 32-bit-only add-ins that do not work with Outlook 64-bit and for which the vendors have not yet created a 64-bit version of. So, even if WMDC was made available as a 64-bit add-in, the guidance I'm providing still applies.

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:50 PM
  • Installing a 32bit version of the Outlook mail client is not a solution to this issue!  I have over 20 applications in my business that require some form of email intergration INCLUDING Microsoft's own Office Communicator 2007.  The basic premise of streamlining your applications in a consistent chip architecture is not too much to ask of a major vendor such as Microsoft.  This needs to be fixed...period!  No frigging excuses!

Thursday, June 03, 2010 3:47 PM
  • Guys, that is just a load of trash.  I am writing this on my wifes eMachines computer that came with Windows 7 64 bit installed. As it was 64 OS bit I loaded the 64 bit office package. If the 64 bit office is for developers to "play" with, then why have a general release of it? Making sure it can sync with apps as the default mail client for the OS is not too much to ask. Either pull the 64 bit version off of shelves or get this working!
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 3:54 AM
  • I don't see how this is a Microsoft issue... Your 32bit plug-ins don't work because your plug-in vendor(s) have not made 64 bit plug-ins... Better get on the horn to them... And regards to Office Communicator 2007 (note the 2007 part) well I don't think I need to spell this out...

In addition there wasn't an Office 64 edition until now so I don't see how this is of any consequence. Enlighten me if I'm off-base, please...

If you ride the cutting edge you are going to get cut, plain and simple...

Friday, June 11, 2010 7:15 PM
  • I'm confused, what is the WMDC 64 Bit application for then?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/en-us/downloads/microsoft/device-center-download.mspx

Ant
    Monday, June 21, 2010 6:50 PM
  • I am very disappointed with Microsoft  releasing this 64 bit version to the general public with compatibility issues with mobile devices.  I understand the logic of 3rd parties like Blackberry to update their Sync programs, but in the meantime everyone suffers.  Why couldn't Microsoft offer a temporary registry solution or at least warn new users of compatibility issues with the 64 bit Office?  Money and time well wasted!
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 7:05 PM
  • try this http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/66114.aspx
    Friday, June 25, 2010 12:29 PM
  • I am very disappointed with Microsoft  releasing this 64 bit version to the general public with compatibility issues with mobile devices.  I understand the logic of 3rd parties like Blackberry to update their Sync programs, but in the meantime everyone suffers.  Why couldn't Microsoft offer a temporary registry solution or at least warn new users of compatibility issues with the 64 bit Office?  Money and time well wasted!

They did warn users to avoid the 64bit version UNLESS they need large file support (over 2GB) in Access or Excel. Most users ignore the advice and figure 64-bit is better.  (one link to ms discussion on this is at http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2010/index.asp)

Friday, June 25, 2010 1:31 PM
  • I think this explanation misses the point. It is Windows 7 64 that is unable to assign Outlook 2010 64 as the default email client. That seems like a Microsoft problem entirely.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:00 PM
  • It seems to me that the 32bit plug-ins are going to Windows 7 64 and asking what the default email client is. Since, for reasons unknown, Windows 7 64 will not allow Outlook 2010 64 to be the default email client, the 32but plug-ins (or presumably 64bit plug-ins for that matter), tell you that you need to designate a default email client.

The problem is compatibility between Windows 7 64 and Outlook 2010 64, it would seem.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:08 PM
  • I agree with lifesaver1.  It is Windows 7 64 that is not assigning Outlook 2010 64 as the default email client.  This needs to be fixed ASAP.  it is causing problems.
    Monday, July 05, 2010 2:05 AM
  • I wish to correct my prior post, as I have learned what the issue is. Please see the following MS document. It explains that 32 bit programs that call up Outlook as the default mail client are unable to do so if Outlook is 64 bit and if the 32 bit program has not been edited to allow it to call up Outlook 64. Basically, the command is apparently different. So in the way that some drivers had to be rewritten for Vista, apparently various programs need to be rewritten to allow them to operate with Outlook 64. This document, while a bit technical, has a graphic of the exact error message I have been getting and perhaps others, when a 32 bit program (e.g. Adobe Acrobat or Blackberry Desktop Manager) attempt to address Outlook 64. It would seem that these programs need to be rewritten.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd941355.aspx

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 12:36 AM
  • Thanks for this "thread."  I have Windows 7 - 64bit installed along with Office 2010 64-bit.  However, my installation of things like QuickBooks, Adobe Acrobat Pro, etc., are only available in 32-bit, and as such I CAN NOT EMAIL from these applications.  Is that what I'm reading in this thread?  If so, pretty bad compatibility, as sending email from these applications is why we use the apps.  Anyone have a solution (yet)?

Monday, July 12, 2010 7:26 PM
  • Thanks for this "thread."  I have Windows 7 - 64bit installed along with Office 2010 64-bit.  However, my installation of things like QuickBooks, Adobe Acrobat Pro, etc., are only available in 32-bit, and as such I CAN NOT EMAIL from these applications.  Is that what I'm reading in this thread?  If so, pretty bad compatibility, as sending email from these applications is why we use the apps.  Anyone have a solution (yet)?

Did you install 64bit because you could or because you need the large file support it offers?

You are correct... you can't email using Outlook 2010 64bit (from many other apps). You'll need to install 32bit if you want to integrate the apps, at least at this time.

Choose the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Microsoft Office
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/choose-the-32-bit-or-64-bit-version-of-microsoft-office-HA010369476.aspx 
    Office 2010 provides support for the 32-bit version of Office 2010 programs running on 64-bit operating systems by using WOW64, a compatibility environment provided by the operating system that allows a 32-bit application to run on a Windows 64-bit operating system. Using the 32-bit version of Office 2010 allows people to continue to use existing third-party add-ins for Office that are 32-bit. The 32-bit version of Office 2010 is the recommended option for most users, because it prevents potential compatibility issues with other 32-bit applications, specifically third-party add-ins that are available only for 32-bit operating systems.

Monday, July 12, 2010 7:33 PM
  • I have the same problem - Windows 7 64bit & Office 2010 64bit. My Windows Mobile phone won't synce with this error message.

Microsoft should really fix this ASAP!

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 12:04 PM
  • I have the same problem - Windows 7 64bit & Office 2010 64bit. My Windows Mobile phone won't synce with this error message.

Microsoft should really fix this ASAP!

You need to use 32bit if you want to sync. Based on what someone from the mobile division said (and is quoted in a thread somewhere) is that they are not planning to support 64bit sync at this time.

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 1:21 PM
  • You need to use 32bit if you want to sync. Based on what someone from the mobile division said (and is quoted in a thread somewhere) is that they are not planning to support 64bit sync at this time.

This is where I have a problem.  I understand that Microsoft is a huge company with many internal divisions.  But at the same time, the idea that you would release a version of Outlook without functionality that many people see as a basic part of that program is simply incomprehensible.  It doesn't matter to me or the vast majority of the other Outlook users that WMDC is produced by a separate division than Outlook itself.  I expect Intuit to take their sweet time making Quickbooks see Outlook 64.  But when other programs from your own company don't see it and you announce that they NEVER WILL, this just looks bad.  Don't you guys ever talk?  Isn't there a liason between the two divisions?  Anyone that could say this is basic functionality and you will support it?  You want me to buy the new versions of Windows and Office and you'd love it if I would buy a Win Mobile phone (all of which I have).... but they can't freaking talk to each other!!!  That is one heck of a blunder!

Like many others, when I was installing the new Office, I figured I had the 64-bit OS which has many benefits, why not install the 64-bit Office.  I remember seeing the screen about Excel spreadsheets larger than 2 GB, but if it strongly warned against using 64-bit for any other reason, I must have been too tired to notice.  And I am positive that I didn't see anything in there about basic functions like SYNC not working under 64-bit NOW OR EVER IN THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE.  That certainly would have caught my attention.  I am a strong Microsoft supporter, but in my opinion, you guys really screwed the pooch on this one!

Off to DOWNGRADE to 32-bit so that I can get BASIC functionality back...

Thursday, August 19, 2010 5:58 AM
  • I found a work around for calendar and contacts sync. Publish your calendar to a Gmal account and then use Google Calendar Sync for your mobile.
    • Proposed as answer by numerator42 Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:10 PM
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:10 PM
  • Is having both, the 32 and 64 bit versions of office installed, an option?
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 7:46 PM
  • No, you can't have mixed versions (bitwise) of Office.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 8:29 PM
  • If all of you are pissed off now. Just wait until Windows 7 Phone is out and you purchase that and then you will not be able to sync unless you downgrade office. Unless syncing to the cloud fixes this problem. If it don't man am I going to be laughing.
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 4:17 AM
  • This worked for me after months of having this issue. Found this on another thread: crackberry.com

SOLUTION: Assuming you have the latest Desktop Manager installed from BB, with both BB & OL 2010 closed

1. Open Control Panel and click Mail
    2. When the window pops up, click on Show Profiles
    3. Select your profile and click the Copy button. Name the copy whatever you want - we won't be keeping it around long.
    4. Start Desktop Manager and connect your BB.
    5. Start configuring your Organizer, but choose the copy profile for any item. Click OK when DS asks about remapping folders.
    6. After configuring any Outlook component, click OK until you get back to your main DS window. At this point, you should not get the previous error message.
    7. Go back into DS and configure all your Outlook components with your original profile. You will get the folder remapping message again - just click OK.
    8. When you're done, click OK until you're back at the main DS window. You shouldn't get any error messages at this point.
    9. From Control Panel, go back in to Mail and delete the duplicate profile you previously created.
    • Proposed as answer by Cayman2011 Sunday, January 16, 2011 4:34 PM
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 4:26 PM
  • I found the soulution with syncing Outlook 64 BIt and Blackberry desktop - downlowd the latest from BB

The new v 6.0.1 B21 now supports Outlook 2010 64bit.

See below release notes : page 1

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/23351/BlackBerry_Desktop_Software-Release_Notes--1403456-1215084616-001-6.0.1_b21-US.pdf

One can download this release from the below link:

http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/desktop_pc.jsp

Friday, February 04, 2011 6:39 AM

Stephen    

If that is the case then why doesn't Windows Mobile Device Center work either.  I can connect to my device but cannot select email calendar tasks or notes to sync because of this problem.  I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Is there a 64 bit version of Device Center??
    • Proposed as answer by Marcel06 Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:07 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Marcel06 Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:07 PM
    Tuesday, February 08, 2011 11:19 PM
  • Well, I have been a loyal Microsoft and windows phone user for many years.  I think I am giving up and going Android.  I just set up an account on my son's Android phone and going thru gmail, using gsyncit 64 bit and K-9 android mail client all my stuff synced perfectly.  Buh-bye Windows Phone.  Microsoft, I hope you get your act together.  Guess I should have bought a (aarrrrrrrgh) Mac and become an Apple Zombie---ooooohhh noooooo!
    Tuesday, February 08, 2011 11:43 PM
  • Microsoft Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 Driver for Windows Vista (64-bit) :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=4F68EB56-7825-43B2-AC89-2030ED98ED95

Supported Operating Systems:Windows Vista

Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 is currently only available for the following versions of Microsoft Windows 7 and Microsoft Windows Vista.
    • Windows 7 Ultimate
    • Windows 7 Enterprise
    • Windows 7 Professional
    • Windows 7 Home Premium
    • Windows Vista Ultimate
    • Windows Vista Enterprise
    • Windows Vista Business
    • Windows Vista Home Premium
    • Windows Vista Home Basic
    • Windows Vista Server
    It has worked for me with my HTC mobile phone and W7x64...

• Proposed as answer by Marcel06 Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:14 PM
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:13 PM
  • http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=4F68EB56-7825-43B2-AC89-2030ED98ED95

It did not work for me....

Win7x64 + Office 2010x64 + Windows Mobile 6.1

We can only sync with Exchange

Thursday, March 17, 2011 12:04 PM
  • Correct - MS has said WMDC will not work with 64bit - It will work with 32bit, which is probably what the other poster is using.

http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/microsoft-office-2010-faq-readme-HA101793215.aspx#_Toc257626208

and

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;980513

From KB980513, Error message when you try to sync Windows Mobile Device Center with either Outlook 2010 64-bit version or with a Click-to-Run installation of Outlook 2010: "Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging"

Windows Mobile Device Center syncs correctly with a 32-bit version of Outlook 2010 that uses a standard MSI installation.

MORE INFORMATION: There are no plans to update Windows Mobile Device Center to improve compatibili...There are no plans to update Windows Mobile Device Center to improve compatibility with Outlook 2010.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:59 PM
  • In this case it is not actually Microsoft that is causing the problems but the 3rd. party 32bit plugins. Most 32bit plugins do not work yet those vendors who have written the 64bit plugins do. 

I am and have been an network engineer for the last 17 years.  By those of us who have been around a very long time with Microsoft products (as well as Adobe, Intuit, etc) this can also be called Versionitis and can only be fixed by the 3rd. party vendors.  Windows 7 and Office 2010 both came out as beta's in 32 and 64 bit versions for the purpose of finalizing the testing phase. The vendors have had access plenty of time to work with microsoft and the beta platforms to have fixed this issue before now. 

As an example: Adobe Reader X is supposed to be fully compatible with the 64bit platform but it also does not look in the correct place in the registry for Outlook 2010 64bit to send pdf attachments.  The informaiton is there, it does show up as the default program so it should be up to Adobe should fix, NOT Microsoft since Microsoft does not have any control on how Adobe writes the program.  To say that Microsoft has to re-write it's code to make other 3rd party vendors who say there programs work on the 64bit platform actually work is ridiculous.  The vendors have a responsibility to make sure there programs are as compatible as they state. In this example, Adobe should either fix the mail issue or remove the option when installing on a 64bit platform.

Adobe also has a statement here (http://blogs.adobe.com/pdfitmatters/2010/11/office-201064-bit-and-acrobat-x.html) that states that they are not going to support Office 2010 64bit because the default installation is 32bit.  With more and more installations of 64bit, especially in the business and corporate environment hwere it is used to maximize use of memory, vendors such as Adobe should fix their products.

Us as consumers should hold the 3rd party vendors responsible for their products, not Microsoft.

Tom in Washington--CCNE,MCSE, MCITP

• Proposed as answer by JonBehrends Saturday, April 16, 2011 11:08 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by JonBehrends Saturday, April 16, 2011 11:08 PM
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 6:26 PM
  • This totally works (unbelieveably after all what I read here in this forum) using Acrobat X Pro, Outlook 2010 64-bit, & Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit:

Run REGEDIT and goto:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail]

Right-click and create a new key called Outlook64Bridge

Then right-click Outlook64Bridge and create two keys under it DLLPath and DLLPathEx

Find the 32 bit version of the file MAPI32.dll and assign the whole qualified pathname to each key, mine were:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Outlook64Bridge\DLLPath

"D:\WINDOWS\system32\mapi32.dll"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Outlook64Bridge\DLLPathEx

"D:\WINDOWS\system32\mapi32.dll"

Then go back to the root key name and show the default client as Outlook64Bridge

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail

"Outlook64Bridge"

* Borrowed from http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlook/thread/64c0be df-2bcd-40aa-bb9c-ad5de20c84be?prof=required

I ended up using map32.dll from the repository @ "C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-mapi_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.76 00.16385_none_ab2397727b134496\mapi32.dll", FYI.
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 11:09 PM
  • Ok Tom, we realize you are a major proponent for Microsoft, but is it really that hard to write 32-bit compatibility libraries for their programs.  I mean it shouldn't be a $$$$ issue...  Linux has had 32-bit compat libraries for 64-bit apps for oh about 6 years now.  Is it always someone elses responsibility to conform to Microsoft's code?
    Monday, April 18, 2011 11:45 PM
  • I agree. I wasted two days after loading Office 2010 64 bit version on a new machine, porting all my applications and finding Quickbooks and Photoshop would not work well. After hours researching and speaking with support, I finally gave up and just reloaded Office 2010 32 bit. I understand Microsoft's predicament, but at least think about the user. Put a large warning on the installation window telling people "To ensure compatability, we strongly recommend installing the 32 bit version. There is no performance increase by using the 64 bit version and it can lead to compatibility issues until third parties modify their software to 64 bit as well". There, would that have been too hard. Think of the regular user not the sort of people that get on here and can understand the issues.
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 3:06 PM
  • i ve the same problem
    but with windows XP

I realize this discussion has progressed into a long debate over the efficacy of Microsoft Office 2010 64 bit compatibility with other applications, but I have a simple answer to your problem of not being able to find the options on the control panel, so here it is:

Start/Control Panel
    View by: Small icons (dropdown box upper right screen)
    on the Adjust Your computer's settings landing page/Internet Options
    Internet Properties/Programs Tab/Internet programs (bottom section)/Click the Set programs button
    Set your default programs
    Microsoft office outlook/Set this program as default

Hope this helps.

btw, I am running Office 2007 which is 32 bit on my Windows 7/64 machine and have no problems with software or device driver compatibility, nor do I have a problem with the system losing the default program settings.

Good luck.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:26 AM
  • btw, I am running Office 2007 which is 32 bit on my Windows 7

Thats why it works for you... few (if any) of the people in this thread don't have outlook 2010 64 bit set as default - the problem is *other programs* can't see that its default (because its 64bit) and therefore won't work with it.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:38 AM
  • Issue setting Office 2010 64bit as the default mail client was solved in my environment after installing Office 2010 Service Pack 1 today 06/30 via Windows Update.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:39 PM
  • But MS 64bit doesn't even work with other MS program - Office 2010 and Publisher 2010 doen't even work together for mailings. However, MS continues to maintain that it's up to users to figure out how to make their own products work together. What crapware!
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 1:00 PM
  • Even other Microsoft programs... i guess we're at fault for buying them...fool me once...fool me decade after decade...
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 1:02 PM
  • But MS 64bit doesn't even work with other MS program - Office 2010 and Publisher 2010 doen't even work together for mailings. However, MS continues to maintain that it's up to users to figure out how to make their own products work together. What crapware!

What doesn't work between them? (It works here on 64 bit Pro).

Note that publisher makes crappy html and really should not be used for email - it's best left to print campaigns.

Monday, July 18, 2011 4:59 PM
  • So basically what MS has done is not fully implemented the Windows 7 x64 Windows Mobile Device Center as a 64 bit application, thus making Windows 7 x64 INCOMPATIBLE with Outlook 2010 x64.
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 5:32 AM
  • i am running windows 7 64, office 2010 64, visio 64, project 64, etc... even excel gives me the error; "Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run MS Outlook and set it as the default mail client."

I have set it as default, everytime it starts up i set it as default, MS Outlook does not even show up in the "Set your default programs" window.

it is frustrating at times...

Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:22 PM
  • Unfortunately, I agree with you :( There is the same issue on Visual Studio 2010. There is no Windows Mobile 6.x development.

Finally, we made a mistake chosing Windows Mobile Phones. I think the next generation Windows Phone 7 wil have the same scenario. You should think twice to buy mobile phone with WP7.

Sunday, August 14, 2011 6:26 PM
  • I want to confirm that this REGKEY edit worked and immediately solved the problem of Adobe Acrobat (version 9+) not being able to find the default email client.  Thank you Jon Behrends.

Outlook 2010 64-bit, & Win 7

Thursday, October 06, 2011 6:38 PM
  • What exactly do you mean by "assign the whole qualified pathname to each key"

I'm trying to figure out how to do this to each subfolder (DLLPATH and DLLPathEx) can't seem to find the option to assign a path to it.

please clarify.

Thanks,

F

Thursday, January 12, 2012 1:07 AM
  • JonBehrends wrote: "This totally works (unbelieveably after all what I read here in this forum) using Acrobat X Pro, Outlook 2010 64-bit, & Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit:" ...

It would certainly be nice if this fix works in my setting. I design fill-in forms for a local city government, and have quite a few fill-in forms that used to utilize MS Outlook to ship data via e-mail.  That has all come crashing to a stop for now, and I have a lot of users who would love to move back into the modern world again. Particularly a lot of cops sitting in patrol units, surrounded by all the latest technology, just trying to get their job done. Talk about end-users being unhappy!

I guess I'll go  research Adobe's end of things to see how they're doing in the "making customers happy" department.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 10:57 PM
  • If the registry key doesn't work (it should), it will work if you drop down to 32-bit Office. (Your IT should have tested the 64bit version and verified everything worked as expected before rolling out 64bit.)

Thursday, January 19, 2012 11:17 PM
  • And mere moments after checking on a link in the post that I quoted, I discovered a note at that website that stated that the issue with Adobe Reader 10.1+ has been resolved.  I've tested it on a nearby co-worker's plain vanilla machine, and I have e-mail interoperability between MS Outlook 2010 64-bit and Adobe Reader 10.1.2

There's that problem settled. On to test this EVERYWHERE!

Thursday, January 19, 2012 11:27 PM
  • I applied the reg hacks for Adobe and they worked and allowed send t mail from Reader to Outlook 2010x64. Right now my problem is with InfoPath. We use email to submit the forms (for parts, training and etc.). When submitting a form, InfoPath responds with a dialogue box that says, "The form could not be sent - To use this feature, Microsoft Outlook 2010 must be set as the default e-mail program.." (the two periods at the end of the sentence belong to MS, not a typo). InfoPath x64 does not talk to Outlook x64. Really, Microsoft! Unlike the error message from Reader, I could not find the error message from InfoPath anywhere in the registry; it must be a part of the program. When it sees the Outlook64Bridge in the registry, it responds with the error message. Searching the web for clues, the answer is always the same "... use the 32 version of Office 2010." What a waste! Some of my clients really use the Excel x64 with excellent results. The only problem is that the rest of the suite does not really gain anything by being x64. Could it be that difficult to cut out the x64 version of Excel and bundle it with the 32 version? Or allow a dual x32 and x64 installation? Anybody else having this problem?
    Monday, January 23, 2012 9:24 PM
  • It doesn't work with infopath 2010? That's surprising. No, you can't mix bit's - if you have 32bit outlook, you need all 32 bit apps. 

Using the OutlookBridge hack will break other features that use outlook because they are looking for Microsoft Outlook as the default email client, not this funky OutlookBridge client.  With that configured, Outlook does not know its the default - you can verify in Control panel's Default programs - when you start outlook it asks if you want to make it the default. When you do, it changes the id in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail to Microsoft Outlook.

Monday, January 23, 2012 10:39 PM
  • Yes, I am having the same problem. Word and Excel both work sending to email with the reghack in place; InfoPath does not. With the reghack in place, Adobe Reader 9.xx works with send to email; Adobe Reader 10.x does not. All I want is a stand alone version of Excel 2010x64 that is compatible with the rest of the Suite in 32x, or allow a dual 32bit and 64bit installation. How can it be that difficult? Early on, testing showed that I could install Office 2010x64 (with only Excel), then Office 2007 - without Excel and everything worked. I even tested with Office 2003, 2000 and 97 - all worked with 2010x64 installed on a W7x64 machine. The standard answer (install 2010x32 or we are not to blame) from the Microsoft techs is getting really old.
    Monday, February 13, 2012 7:52 PM
  • I've been trying to get Microsoft Mobile Device Center to work under Windows 7 (64 bit) with Office 2010. My problems exactly mach the posts regarding the 64 bit version of Office, "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action".  Angrily, I was preparing to downgrade to MS Office 2010 32 bit, when I discovered that my Office is already 32 bit! However, my problems exactly match that of the 64 bit posts, what the heck is going on? Why can't I make Outlook 2010 32 bit my default email program? I am using the 64 bit version of Microsoft Windows Device Center as it is the only one that will install on my computer. Microsoft does not make free support easy, even for legit issues like this. After Microsoft has abandoned their old Windows phone users, they have a lot of nerve to try and revive their Windows phone business.

• Edited by Carl61 Monday, March 12, 2012 6:08 PM
    Monday, March 12, 2012 4:39 PM
  • I created an .reg registry fix for the combination Adobe 8 / 8.1 and Outlook 2010 64-bit.
    Both DLLPath and DLLPathEx point to ULMAPI32.dll in the Outlook 14 folder.
    How to fix problems sending mail within Adobe 8 / 8.1 in combination with Outlook 2010 64 bit

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:57 PM
  • and if anyone have a mailboks with more than 20 GB (including full access permission) you need 64 bit guess a lot have changed in 4 years... nobody uses 32 Bit... except 3 party software users...

johan seider

Thursday, March 20, 2014 9:20 AM